Archinect
anchor

Francis Ching

BigGoron

Is it just me, or does Francis Ching write some great books? I own 4 of his books, am planning on buying more this week. Does anyone else like his work? Are there any other books you could suggest? Thanks

Dec 22, 04 9:25 am

Ching is good. We've talked about his books before in some other threads. But I wouldn't get too hung up on him. He provides good reference, good basics, etc.

BUT, if you must have more of this type of book. The books by Geoffrey Baker, I think one's called 'Analysis of Form', have a similar feel and a similar analytical, historical approach. Illustration style is similar, too.

Dec 22, 04 10:41 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

kennith frampton anyone?

Dec 22, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Frampton's a must, yeah. But it also may be a text for history, in which case BG will be getting it anyway. And if I remember right from another thread, he doesn't have a great love of history.

Dec 22, 04 11:21 am  · 
 · 
BigGoron

Correct Steven, I don't have a great love of history, but it looks like I will learn to love it. If I want to pass at least....

Dec 22, 04 11:26 am  · 
 · 
db

Ching's Building Codes Illustrated -- if architecture students could get turned on to this it moght mean less pain down the road. others of his I think are eh, so-so.

Dec 22, 04 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

I really like Frampton's Studies in Techtonic culture. It has history, but also lots of Chingesque illustrations of how various architects Frampton has an affinity for detailed their buildings. It is also the exact same size as the Ching books, so it fits nicely with them on the bookshelf.

Dec 22, 04 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
greengoblin

Frank Ching does have some nice books... he is a pretty intimidating professor (I studied under him at the University of Washington) but a man with amazing skills nonetheless. I've been looking for projects designed by him that are actually constructed... does anyone know anything about that?

Dec 22, 04 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes steven, i will agree on the Geoffrey Baker book (s) - i think i read two of them long back - one of them was entirely about corbusier, and the others had richard meier, the early work of graves etc

very good books - reminds me when i used to kick it old school !!!

Dec 22, 04 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
David Brent

I know Frank Ching had a firm a long time ago. He recently built a cabin on Maury Island outside of Seattle but he had Miller Hull design it.

Dec 23, 04 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

Mr ching has got the best joined up handwriting i have ever seen.

Dec 27, 04 9:47 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think ching is fantastic for anyone learning how to draft, especially design drawing, a visual dictionary of architecture, and architecture; form theory and space. building construction illustrated is also good. i'm not familiar with this 'building codes illustrated' though. i'll have to check it out.

Dec 27, 04 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Building Codes Illustrated doesn't have the drawings by Ching that you'd expect. I have a copy sitting about 3 feet from me - it was a recommended text for my senior capstone project at school. There is obviously more text than illustrations since it deals with building codes, but the illustrations (if you dare call them that) look like they were done in AutoCAD. I don't think there is a single signature Ching drawing in it at all. Nowhere close to the beauty of Building Construction Illustrated, which was what I was expecting when I got it. I think they used the Ching name to get people to buy it (and I guess it kinda worked). But besides that, its a fairly handy reference.

Dec 27, 04 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: