Archinect
anchor

historic storefront replacement

marmkid

i am currently working on a lobby renovation of a building that has historical significance, at least with the exterior facade.  due to the current use of the building along with the terrible state of the lobby storefront, we are going to need to replace it entirely.

I am hoping to avoid the owner just sticking a typical aluminum storefront system up there, and so far they are very on board with keeping the historic significance.  but just to make sure it doesnt get lost in the shuffle, i want to be on top of it.  Has anyone worked with any storefront or glazing manufacturers who deal with historic preservation and renovation?  So far my searches have come up a bit empty.

we dont do very much historical preservation type work to begin with, so i havent worked on something like this before

Jun 27, 11 11:29 am
toasteroven

what's the existing storefront that you want to replicate?  typically you'd be working with someone who would do fabrication in the field (storefront is pretty basic) - you wouldn't be buying from a typical manufacturer.  there are most likely custom glass people in your area who are pretty comfortable with this sort of work - start calling them up.

Jun 27, 11 11:37 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

thanks, custom glass guys will most likely bring up what we need.

we arent replicating it really, we are replacing a bronze storefront with a stainless steel one, with a different door layout due to the owner's use.

it's one of those fast pace clients where something like this could slip through the cracks quickly if we dont get on it early, so i just want to make sure we cover our bases

thanks for the help!

Jun 27, 11 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I haven't heard of an all-stainless-steel storefront assembly, but stainless steel clad (over standard aluminum frame) is an option most storefront manufacturers should be able to do. You are probably looking for a stick-built system (as opposed to unitized), which gives you the option of having the glazing sit in front, middle or back of framing member. I can probably suggest a manufacturer if you tell me your general geographic area. 

Jun 27, 11 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: