Archinect
anchor

well designed storage facilities...

jas

Anybody have examples of well-designed storage facilities...

Dec 10, 04 2:50 pm
ether

what are you looking to store?

Dec 10, 04 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
jas

just trying to prove to a client that he can still make an economical well designed contemporary storage facility...

so i wanted to provide an image board of examples...

Dec 10, 04 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Modena cemetery. And that cemetery by Enric Miralles; don't remember the name. Similar, right?

Dec 10, 04 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

Rand Elliot's Will Rogers Airport Snow Barn
http://www.e-a-a.com/commercial/snow_brn.html

and

Wiel Arets' Lensvelt Factory and Offices found in the book Architecture Now

Dec 10, 04 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Enric Miralles cemetery in Igualada, Catalonia, it's a wonderful place to store dead bodies... definitely.

Dec 10, 04 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

the future of storage biz. as easy as
then they go to that cemetery (landfill).

Dec 10, 04 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

do you mean cmu, orange garage door, store-your crap storage facilities? why bother.. pick your battles. This doesn't need to be a well designed building..

They did put a storage building in an historic building in Seattle, I don't know if it's documented anywhere though. Basically kept the historic shell, and put storage facility on the inside. It's near Fred Hutchison cancer center if you're in that area.

Dec 10, 04 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

feel free to edit.

Dec 10, 04 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

You might check into the fire-safe storage structures that they built in cities across the country in the late 19th/early 20th century. Some of the later ones advertised air conditioning. Usually just tall decorative brick boxes, but very imposing and a big impact on the urban landscape. The ones we have in Louisville have become local landmarks. I can think of at least 5 that I admire on a regular basis. Sorry I don't have any pictures on hand.

Dec 11, 04 10:59 am  · 
 · 
arthurvandelay

Abelos & Herrera recent industrial work.
Herzog & De Meuron Ricola Warehouse.
UPS Louisville Central Logistics Facility.

Dec 11, 04 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

There's actually an article in the latest issue of Metropolis (January 2005) about a nicely designed storage facility. I think there may be a link on the web to it soon (currently their website is only on the December issue) so if you don't want to buy the magazine, you might be on the lookout in the future.

Dec 16, 04 1:27 am  · 
 · 
c

jas- i don;t know as this is the one pencrush was talking about - but check this out http://www.andrewmaynard.com.au/prm02.html i think i saw it in arch record- any how - a self storage place in tasmania.
rather nice actually- though i don;t know about the rest of his work.
Is this a way to sart from the bottom ? offer to design cool storage facility @same cost to the client, they don't care what it looks like anyway- ..and you get to do a nice piece of work, and esp. if young, get publicity & boost portfolio..... it seems so easy there must be a catch.

Dec 16, 04 3:41 am  · 
 · 

nice site, c.

Dec 16, 04 9:08 am  · 
 · 
jap

self storage in topeka, ks revitalization project.

http://www.elwoodllc.com/moving_in___moving_out.htm

Dec 16, 04 9:22 am  · 
 · 
pencrush
jap

that's the one I was talking about. It's the nicest one I've ever seen. Well, ok, that one c posted was the only other nice one I've seen..

Dec 16, 04 11:34 am  · 
 · 
st.

what your client will object to, more than anything, is paying for you to DESIGN a contemporary storage facility. your best bet is probably just to design the damn thing and, as long as it IS economical (and not hideous), your client may go for it. your client will probably not care about what's on an image board--the bottom line will be what's important. let the nice design slip in hidden within a nicer dollar amount.

Dec 16, 04 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: