Archinect
anchor

Is all architecture political, or nah?

yankeedoodledandee75

Can architecture exist in a world removed from any political turmoil?

I am of the opinion that architecture cannot solve social problems, but often I see that people force such matters into the field of architecture.

Any thoughts?

Oct 27, 14 5:12 pm
chigurh

you are talking about two different things...politics and social problems, which are you interested in discussing?

Everything can be tied to politics in some way, how do your clients have the capital to build...it is expensive.  Shitty republican corporations like to construct buildings for themselves, the more phallic the better.  

I don't think buildings solve social problems without policy change to boot, depends on the social problems, seen way too many "save the homeless" projects that would never work unless entire city governments were on board from the inception.  

Oct 27, 14 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
yankeedoodledandee75

Don't today's political problems fall inline with social issues?

Take for example the Israel thread.

Oct 27, 14 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Sure, architecture can exist in isolation. But that'd be ignoring what it takes fot things to be built and the needs to be met. Maybe not obviously political but certainly classist/elitist, which ties back into politics and systems of wealth controlled by those with clout.

No profession working alone can solve social problems.

Oct 27, 14 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I am of the opinion that architecture cannot solve social problems

food does not solve hunger.  feeding people solves hunger. 

Oct 27, 14 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Bugsmetoo, politicians sure think so.
Oct 27, 14 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Politics is a social problem. 

Oct 27, 14 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Everything Is Politicized...

Oct 27, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The idea is to live in an exclusive .01 percent residential area while your heart bleeds for the poor, a.k.a. Nancy Pelosi. And, like Nancy, at Christmas you can spend $10,000 a night on your suite in Kona, Hawaii, to show your enthusiasm for the local architecture and design.

Oct 28, 14 7:30 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

It’s not “We The People….” anymore, its “We The Money….”

Oct 28, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

It's not that architecture has no power to affect change, architects have no power.  Architects who continue to work within the traditional service industry will do just that...serve the client.   The client is self interested and most of the time doesn't care about society or even architecture.  I you want to serve society, you need to operate outside of that realm.  The custom hot-rod industry will never have very much effect on the overall realm of transportation.   

Oct 28, 14 11:48 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

It's why we hear soooooo much bullshit fluff in this industry.  Im convinced that the bullshit is less about bullshitting others and more about bullshitting ones self. 

Oct 28, 14 11:52 am  · 
 · 

It’s not “We The People….” anymore, its “We The Money….”

Money is a particularly bad value system.

The custom hot-rod industry will never have very much effect on the overall realm of transportation.  

Think again.

Oct 28, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
yankeedoodledandee75

I'm gonna get a a lot of flak for this but.... Here's an example:

http://archinect.com/news/article/102781417/debating-abortion-rights-and-free-speech-on-the-sidewalk

"It's kind of depressing that no architect has yet described the obvious solution to this: put the entrance more than 35 feet onto private property. First Amendment speech rights end at the boundary between public and private property."   - gwharton

Instead of dicking around, why doesn't someone just do this and that'll be that. Instead they make symposiums and competitions. 

Oct 28, 14 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

Because the abortion protestors will just get as close as possible to heckle, and underfunded abortion clinics don't have money to build clinics on some secluded tract of land

Oct 28, 14 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Money is speech.

If you don't have any shut up.

Oct 28, 14 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Exactly Miles. I know firsthand. When I was active people knew I had money and everybody was my friend. I could push and shove anything. But when I became inactive and made myself invisible (to maintain my sanity) I can’t even get lunch with anybody. What changed? I shut the money off, that’s what changed. It’s ALL about money, if you’ve got it you lead, if you don’t you’re a servant.

This thing where the Supreme Court made corporations allowed to donate unlimited sums as “citizens” – we’re screwed. It’s all over now – cash now votes. 

Oct 28, 14 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
It should only be someone's right to take another's life in self defense. Otherwise it's murder. All those babies killed by abortion are murdered.
Child abuse is illegal and everyone is outraged when that happens. People are outraged when a baby dies due to things like being left in a hot car by their parents. Something as horrible as killing a baby after physical birth is considered an atrocity. Why is abortion any different?
I know everyone supports women's right to abort, but why should they have the right to kill a baby? Yes, baby. Not fetus, that's a pro-abortionist's way of justifying killing a baby. The solution is easy, don't give someone the right to kill babies and there wouldn't need to be protests, would there?

Carry on.
Oct 28, 14 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

CD.arch:

"All those babies killed by abortion are murdered"

Wrong, plain wrong. Don't let the religious right nonsense ruin your ability to rationalize.

Oct 28, 14 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Then how do you rationalize it NS?
Oct 28, 14 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Drop the religious indoctrination that forces some people to instantly consider abortions "evil" and fetuses "babies" and look at it as an example of social evolution and the freedom to control one's own reproduction.

But this forum is not the place to discuss issues that the educated civilized world conquered decades ago. It's a tired topic only relevant to those who still hold bibles as anything other than trash fiction. To entertain a ban on abortion, like that fool TAMMUZ's thread, would giving the false illusion that there are equal sides to the story.

Sorry, but society has moved on.

Oct 28, 14 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Whatever you call it in the whom, it's still living. There are humane ways to control reproduction. I'm not against contraception, trust me. Is ridiculous to distinguish between killing a living being in the whom and a living being outside of it. Now I will drop the topic. It isn't the place to talk about it, I agree.
Oct 28, 14 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

But this forum is not the place to discuss issues that the educated civilized world conquered decades ago.

Somebody tell tammuz.

Oct 28, 14 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: