Archinect
anchor

Energy Efficient Buildings

Hasselhoff

Hey. I have to do an end of the semester project for Environmental Systems and compare a building that we analyzed in Construction class with a high perfomance building in a similar climate. My group looked at Aalto's Summer House in Finland. Does anyone have specific examples of a high performance building in that region? I'm sure there are tons and I think pretty much anything is higher perfomance than the Summer House, but I can't find a specific example to look into more. Thanks!

Dec 3, 04 4:28 pm
mad+dash

Energy efficient?
hmmmm... check out the project in SoCal by Pugh + Scarpa

and look into Kiss + Cathcart Architects...

Dec 3, 04 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

sorry, I missed the around Finland part...but
Kiss+Cathcart does have something in Europe that was featured in a magazine.

Dec 3, 04 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

I believe that they were the ones that had a small group of townhouses that was in Dwell last year in which they used photovoltaic film (as opposed to panels) for generation of electricity. Very slick.

Dec 3, 04 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

You may also want to reference the Mont Cenis Academy in the French alps. I can't remember the architect off the top of my head. Another important and similar project is BedZed by Bill Dunster. Or any of Dunster's ZedFactory creations, for that matter.

.mm

Dec 3, 04 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

I recently read about a swedish multi-family house that didn't have any heating system. Apparently sufficient temperature could be maintained with high-tech triple (or was it quadruple?) glazing windows and half a metre of insulation. Even at minus fifteen it functioned well. I can't find the name of the architect at the moment, but will look further.

Dec 4, 04 6:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: