Archinect
anchor

Photogrammetry - Photo based modeling

Photogrammetry is a relatively new method of creating 3D models from photographs. This is especially useful when creating models of a site or existing context, from which you can generate a model which you can export to DWG or other common 3D format. There is a new tool that has been released from Autodesk that is now available for free (for a limited time, I'm sure) called PhotoFly. This is a cloud based service that allows you to take pictures (roughly every 15 degrees) of a subject and then automatically generate a model from it. 

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/photo_scene_editor/ - Download here.

They are marketing it as a part of the 'Rapid Energy Modeling' workflow where you can generate models of existing buildings and additions quickly using photogrammetry, and then push it out to an energy use simulator to get quick feedback on optimal massing and orientation strategies.

I hope that this is useful for you, I have used it a few times to generate some models and its really amazing what you can get with a relatively small amount of effort.

Jun 20, 11 4:45 pm
MrSim

I am very unfamiliar with technology but it sounds very intriguing. Do you have any photos or files, any images that I may gaze upon?

Jun 21, 11 11:40 am  · 
 · 

You take pictures from a variety of angles and the program composites them in the cloud. There is a bit of manual stitching required to get a really good result if you're in a typical environment but if you have yourself a predictable white room you can get incredible results quickly. This software, the Photo Scene Editor (or Photofly) can be used to generate highly realistic and textured models of existing buildings, sculptures, people, etc.

Here's a Marketing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-zGXosSZc showing the generalized workflow, although 'Image Modeler' is showcased here which is somewhat less automated than the program shown above. Image Modeler however, can be dimensioned and scaled. 

Jun 21, 11 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: