Archinect
anchor

Natural Ventilation - Double Loaded Corridor

wurdan freo

Any brilliant ideas on natural ventilation for a double loaded corridor. Biggest problem is the corridor wall is 1 hr rated.

1. I was thinking you could have a transom level louver, but then it would have to be accompanied by a fire shutter.

2. Another option would be to have an operable skylight in the roof on the habitable side of the corridor wall, but then you have leakage problems.  

3. You could do shed roofs on each side of the corridor and raise them higher than the roof over the corridor and have clearstory windows. But then you basically turn the roof above the corridor into a gutter. Not to mention, what happens in the winter when your gutter fills with snow. As unappetizing as that sounds, I think this is the best option.

Any thoughts?

Aug 2, 14 12:12 am
curtkram

you can more or less naturally ventilate through your mechanical system can't you?  i think essentially the RTU or whatever would bring in mostly air from outside the building instead of inside.  it's ducted, so it isn't the same as opening a window, but maybe it would work?

Aug 2, 14 12:17 am  · 
 · 

I think 3 is best of the three as well--it should not be too difficult to build a well-draining flat roof over the corridor, and in the winter you will not want a lot of outside ventilation! Is this a residential building? Just one story? Where?

Other options include solar chimneys, which can be shared by two or more rooms and work for multi-story buildings, or, if you are willing to get a little more involved, wind tower assisted displacement ventilation system. See Brown/Dekay's 'Sun, Wind and Light' for a near exhaustive discussion of passive options.

Aug 2, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

This is for a hotel in the rockies. Real shame to have to provide cooling in the summer. Was thinking that a duct shaft towards the corridor side with a fan drawing air could work similar. I think that's what curtkram was alluding to.  Will check out Sun Wind and Light. Thanks!

Aug 2, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Why are you so concerned about having "natural" ventilation.  You still have to heat in the winter and even possibly spring and fall evenings.  You will incur additional construction costs doing clerestories, shafts, skylights, etc.  You don't really save much in energy costs since a double loaded corridor is interior space.  You will need some mechanism to open and close the operable openings, which will be too cold for some hotel guests and too warm for others.  Sounds like way too many complications in the name of being "natural"

Do NOT go with option number 3, particularly in the mountains.  Any kind of flat or semi-flat roof in a heavy snow climate is begging for problems.  Read:  ice, snow, leakage, etc.  Also, do a lot of research on "cold roofs" and the like.  Building in the rockies isn't like building in the suburbs of Denver.  Do the wrong thing and you are almost guaranteed liability.

Aug 2, 14 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I would suggest a single continuous roof with no clerestories or skylights if you are in the high rockies. How many inches of snow does the site get annually?

Ducts sound nice and safe. If you really want air, you could make it more of a plenum and draw from courtyard type spaces- I could picture having every 4th or 5th unit on alternating sides left out to give nice outdoor areas in the summer, and allow air in and views in the winter.

Designing for this kind of site is hard - a summer day could be 85 F, but at night may be 40 F. If anything, I would give the guests control of their level of natural ventilation.

Aug 2, 14 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: