Archinect
anchor

U Waterloo M.Arch?

qtip

What do people think of the M.Arch at Waterloo?

It seems that the architecture program there is favoring the undergrads. I can't find the curriculum for M.Arch on their website at all. I'm interested in schools (us/canada) that require co-ops for graduation.

Is there anyone here who goes to Waterloo only for M.Arch with bachelors from other school?

Does M.Arch student require co-ops for graduation as well?

Mar 29, 11 1:46 am
Rusty!
"I'm interested in schools (us/canada) that require co-ops for graduation."

One way to go aboot getting a damn job in architecture, eh?

Their March is not co-op. They undergrad (BEng) is. Their March is unique in fact that it's not a fixed term degree. You continuously attend until you (they) determine you are ready to defend your thesis. You can theoretically do it in 12 months, though not many have done so. 24-30 months is typical.

Great program if you have your mind made up on a topic you really want to spend time exploring. No hard deadlines.

You do need an architectural undergrad to get in though. Fingerpainters need not apply.

Mar 29, 11 2:11 am  · 
 · 
Underslept

I applied to Dalhousie because of the co-op, and I'm a finger painter. I think the program is similar to Waterloo, though it caters to non-arch bachelor grads by offering a B. EDS and an M. Arch over 4 years. You can also apply directly to the M. Arch program if you have the undergrad, but I think that is the less common route. It's cheap, especially when considering that you will earn some decent money while enrolled.

Mar 29, 11 2:34 am  · 
 · 
qtip

Thank you for the responses. I'm currently a senior and will graduate with a BFA (Architectural Design) in May.

@persimmons are you taking an M.Arch there?
What do you think of the program?
A friend of mine told me about Dalhousie, but it seems pretty isolated up north.
Won't that be a problem when looking for co-ops?

Mar 29, 11 2:40 am  · 
 · 
Underslept

I've only applied, but I have done a decent amount of research. Their application process runs later than most of the programs. It's considered to be more practical than most, and its strength is definitely the co-op. It's a well established component of the program, and you can work internationally. It's well connected. I'm pretty sure you could find placement with a firm in Canada with ease. There are two separate terms for the co-op. I believe you spend 4 months of the undergrad working, and 8 months with the grad. The main downside for me is that you only get a term to complete a thesis. I'm not sure if a thesis is even required.

I've also never been to Halifax, but it's supposed to be a really fun city. The weather is obviously frigid for most of the year. If it is half as fun as Montreal, I'd think the cold is tolerable for a few years.

I don't think I will end up at school next year because of finances. The only two places I am even considering attending are Dal and CCA in San Francisco, and they both require gaining at least some amount of work experience while enrolled. CCA is way more theoretical though.

Mar 29, 11 3:09 am  · 
 · 
qtip

Dalhousie seems like a good place for me since I hate hot places like California.
I'm not really interested in theory, more interested in getting my buildings built.

I've talked to the Chair of the Undergraduate Program at CCA. She said that their graduates are hired by SOM and other big firms in SF. The program seems like a mix of Thom Mayne and sustainability. Their house won the 2009 Solar Decathlon. It seems pretty connected to firms in SF. The location is also pretty good since it's in SF Bay Area.

I don't think that I'd apply to an art school though. I'm already attending one. I don't think that it's beneficial for me to go to another art school.

I'm thinking of applying to schools that require co-ops for graduation like U Cincinnati and Dalhousie or schools that have good reputation like U Michigan and Harvard.

Mar 29, 11 3:26 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields
This explains it all
Mar 29, 11 3:29 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Just to clear up a bit of confusion:

Waterloo's M.Arch program does not have co-op, only their undergrad program does (though I'm sure a Master's student would be fully entitled and encouraged to use those resources should they wish to work for part of the M.Arch degree). On a side note, the undergrad is a B. Architectural Studies, not a B.Eng. or B.A.Sc, and yes, you have to have an undergraduate degree in Architecture to apply to their M.Arch program.

In terms of Dalhousie, Halifax is NOT cold! Its freakin' warm up here haha, usually hovering around 0C. Go live in Ottawa for a winter and you'll know what "cold" is. Dal's program is considered an undergraduate degree in Arch and Waterloo does accept applicants from Dal for their M.Arch program. Unfortunately you'd have to talk to Andri Lima at UW, but Im quite certain a BFA (even in Arch. Design) will not cut it. I've seen Waterloo's studios and they are by far some of the nicest I have ever seen (I've been to Carleton's, Dalhousie's, Waterloo's and Syracuse's).

Mar 29, 11 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

University of Detroit Mercy has mandatory co-op (2 x 4-month terms) within their 5-year M.Arch curriculum.

Mar 29, 11 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: