Archinect
anchor

superstar architects, theory on

batgirlPDN

a friend recently asked me if i knew of any good, recent critical writings on the phenomenon of superstar architects who become media darlings for their work with fashion houses, international museum conglomerates, etc.

unfortunately, i had to say no, even though i know that someone must be writing about this (since everyone is or was talking about it).

does anyone have any suggestions?

Nov 17, 04 8:59 pm
mauOne™

read ARCHINECT, pimpin.... architecture since......:ob

Nov 17, 04 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
batgirlPDN

i already recommended that!

i guess i was wondering about theoretical articles or books in particular. there's so much press about the phenomenon (including press about the press about the phenomenon) but i couldn't think of anything that fell in the academicky, critical-theoretical range.

Nov 17, 04 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

read anything by muschamp - there was that industrial design student who
made baseball like trading cards of designers (not architects) - they were
really funny

Nov 18, 04 8:07 am  · 
 · 

It wasn't exactly what I would call 'critical' in the sense that we usually use the word, but a year or so ago either Architectural Record or Architecture had an article about how Muschamp exalted the stars. They did a survey of his reviews and calculated how many times in a year he might mention Rem, Diller-Scofidio, etc., even in a review of someone else. Kind of took him to task for overexposing his favorites and ignoring the variety of work out there for review. If I remember right, the article included graphs and charts of their cameos/reviews.

Nov 18, 04 8:14 am  · 
 · 

Can't find it online, but I found a reference to the article. I think it was called 'The Favored Circle', was in Architecture magazine, and was by Michael Sorkin. Don't know what issue.

Nov 18, 04 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Sorry to keep adding to this one but this just occurred to me:

Sorkin's book 'Exquisite Corpse', a compilation of his Village Voice articles from the '80's, made fun of the star architects and the star phenomenon as kind of a running theme. Back then, of course, it was PJ and Stern-o that he liked to pick on.

Nov 18, 04 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

Steven, You're correct that it was a Michael Sorkin article, and I think it was from the summer of 2001, possibly the May or June issue of Architecture.

Sorkin's written quite a bit on this topic, and while Exquisite Corpse is a great collection, you can read more recent essays in Some Assembly Required.

Nov 18, 04 9:51 am  · 
 · 
rydesign

STARchitecture is not new. check out old issues of publications, domus ect.. dating back to 50's and 60's... architects and designers have always been superstars....it is just now that consumerism forces us to market personalities for differation, we are more aware. Charles and Ray eames ...

look at covers of these magazines and how the personality of the architect reflects the design. putting architects on the cover, rather than the design..sells....there is a recent issue of metropolis with Thom Mayne on the cover that mimics a cover of artnews that had Andy Warhol

Nov 18, 04 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

Ed Mitchell "Lust for Lifestyle," Assemblage #36 (i think)

Nov 18, 04 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

"The Favored Circle"
(Herbert Muschamp's List, as compiled by Michael Sorkin, Arch_01.06) +++++++see here+++++

Nov 18, 04 10:13 am  · 
 · 

I suggest Sharon Zukin's Landscapes of Power, esp. chpt 3 "The Urban Landscape" which includes a segment called Architects and the Landscape of Power. She explains something that many more have echoed ever since (but this book came out in 91): that corporations unhinged from any particular place and operating in an abstract market need the image of a starchitect more than a great building itself because the images have a global currency and travel at a much faster speed.

Nov 18, 04 10:23 am  · 
 · 
rutger

On gabion there are several articles that give a remarkable insight in the Koolhaas-phenomenon...

Nov 18, 04 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, but the accompanying article by Sorkin would probably be more interesting to batgirl, since she's looking for criticism/commentary on the phenomenon. The list was almost a prop for Sorkin to riff on, and he's great when he riffs...

Nov 18, 04 10:25 am  · 
 · 

oops. my last was a response to mason.

Nov 18, 04 10:26 am  · 
 · 
dia

There was an AD issue on Fame released in 2001 or 2002. I believe it had Philip Johnson on the cover and a mock Time Magazine header.

Nov 18, 04 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Speaking of PJ.

There was a special edition of ANY in honor of Philip Johnson's 90th birthday (1996) that covered his role as star-maker. Articles were all paeans by other architecture stars. Includes James Rosenquist, Suzanne Stephens, Meier, Isosaki, Gwathmey, Jencks, Kipnis, Jaque Robertson, Phyllis Lambert, Fritz Neumeyer, Rudolph, Tigerman, Muschamp, Hadid, Terence Riley, Goldberger, Eisenman, Scully, Stern...not very recent, though.

Nov 18, 04 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

is that picture with all of them at his b-day in it? i'm dying to find that shot. zaha and rem give each other the "look" (or is it a stand-offish gaze?)

Nov 18, 04 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Rosalyn Duestch also has an article about starchitects and planners in her book Evictions in which she takes on the egos of Mike Davis and Sorkin.

Nov 18, 04 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

Not in there, Javier. Just flipped through it. Sorry.

Nov 18, 04 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
JG

Try the ANYthing book. I know that after the conference they all went up to PJ's pad in New Canaan for a party.

Nov 18, 04 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
batgirlPDN

Sorry not to write back any sooner, I teach most days and am far from the computer during daylight.

The ANY Philip Johnson special issue sounds like quite the thing, I can't believe I missed it and have to check it out too. I've passed on the recommendations--thank you.

The friend asking about starchitects studies architectural media culture in Tokyo, and was telling me about what he's done with Japanese architecture magazines and starchitects there. Starchitecture has been around for a long time (FLW knew what he was doing, in the US and in Japan, and that's still comparatively recent when you start to think about Christopher Wren etc.), but he's interested in how it's gotten more global and also more popularized ie. not just architects interested with the appearance of multi-nationals, the growth of Venice, Prada stores, the Guggenheim etc.

Before I forget, "The Favored Circle" is great.

Nov 19, 04 10:38 am  · 
 · 

For another crazy state-of-our-culture case study, he also might look at the Michael Graves-produced, Target-marketed book that, strangely enough, tells the fascinating and self-congratulatory story of the products from --- yes, Michael Graves/Target!

Nov 19, 04 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: