Archinect
anchor

architects getting f'd on Craigslist

mdler

this is a thread for all those Craigslist (or any other website for that matter) adds wanting architects to work for next to nothin'

Jan 13, 11 7:41 pm
mdler

We are in need of an architect to do some very simple architectural plans. This project is to build 12 foot by 20 foot rooms within our warehouse space. These need to be drawn out to building code in order to get a permit from the building department.
You must be a license Washington state architect (wet stamp drawings)
$25 per hour is our budget for this project. We understand that it is not a lot, but this project is not complicated.
Please send your resume to the email address above.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/egr/2158824657.html

Jan 13, 11 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I thought they shut down the "adult" section...

Jan 13, 11 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

Do you want to have complete ownership of projects? Put your 3D skills to the test! You will be responsible for all design requirements and specifications. Other responsibilities include:

Supporting Clients, Marketing, Sales, and Production to ensure the requirements are met.
Create mechanical and structural calculations in accordance with the appropriate codes and standards.
Generate drawings, specifications, and instructions necessary to convey project requirements to others.
Development and implement cost saving and product improvement measures.

Requirements:

1 year of drafting experience with Inventor, Solidworks or similar 3D program
Must hold an associates or similar votech certification of some sort

* Compensation: $18 - $25/hr

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/egr/2159161774.html

Jan 13, 11 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Can someone clarify what $25/hour means when you are paying your own taxes, E&O insurance, healthcare, office rent, etc.

It seems indicative of the prevailing attitude of "I got mine". People want a cheap price and don't care if the product was made in a 3rd world sweat shop or if the architect can afford to stay in business.

Jan 13, 11 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

-35%

Jan 13, 11 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hey, let's see them take that approach with a dentist or cardiac surgeon!
fuckwads

Jan 13, 11 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"-35"

-135% is you have a family that needs healthcare insulance. Spoiled fucks.

Jan 13, 11 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oh MAN...

1 year of drafting experience with Inventor, Solidworks or similar 3D program
Must hold an associates or similar votech certification of some sort

wow. You want a project manager that can draw construction details, perform STRUCTURAL AND MECHANICAL CALCS, lead client

presentations, generate marketing drawings, and perform cost analysis... with one year of experience dicking around with a free 3d program from the internet?! oh and "some type of votech certificate"?? well I've played a LOT of sim city in my day AND i got a typing certificate, can I design your building??

FUCK, man.

Jan 13, 11 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

This company should be publicly shamed. You should PRINT OUT that ad on poster board aned stick it up in front of their office or something. Or in front of their projects. With an intro that says "this is exactly how much this company cares about hiring the talent that will be working on YOUR project!"

Jan 13, 11 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"I've played a LOT of sim city in my day AND i got a typing certificate, can I design your building?"

I slightly loled my pants.

Also, you are complaining about a post that is clearly on the engineering side of things. The description makes sense. Given that it's Kansas City, the salary range makes sense too.

Jan 13, 11 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
harold

Laywers would not even do it for $125 an hour.

Jan 14, 11 4:12 am  · 
 · 
Frit

This one is a couple years old but I held onto it because it was so over the top. This was an add for a full time position, not a craigslist type thing, but still:

With preliminary direction from a licensed architect, analyze client needs and utilize independent thinking to develop design concepts and refine them into design solutions, producing clear and compelling design presentations and documentation for all phases of international and domestic large scale projects including mixed use high-rise development, corporate/commercial, hospitality, residential, retail, urban design/master planning, government, institutional, and healthcare projects, including new construction, renovation, expansion, historic preservation/adaptive reuse, and tenant improvement; participate in all phases of urban design, mixed use, streetscapes, land use, transportation, and open space planning projects; design and concept development for competitions requiring expedited concept development and document production; analyze sketches, photographs, notes, and other input material to determine best approaches for completion of drawings to solve technical issues of design in relation to sites and buildings; incorporate space planning and programming, signage, and custom detailing into designs; translate clients' functional and spatial requirements into feasible design solutions, integrating projects into urban context, responsive to prevailing regulatory, environmental and economic conditions, incorporating structural engineering principles and building systems into architectural designs; incorporating LEED sustainable design principles to prepare LEED documentation and building information model for energy analysis and managing data analysis with energy analyst to evaluate daily sun exposure and maximize energy savings using Ecotect; prepare hand sketches, working drawings, architectural detail specifications for concept design presentations and presentation packages using 2D/3D CAD, rendering, layout and building information modeling (BIM) software, including Revit, AutoCAD, Architectural Desktop, Rhino3D, Maya, Grasshopper, 3D Studio MAX, MentalRay, Vray, VrayRT, SketchUp, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, Flash, InDesign, and Painter in metric and imperial standards; utilize advanced modeling tools (Rhino3D, 3D Studio MAX & Revit) to model complex geometry forms and general building and interior models; use advanced task automation techniques (scripting: RhinoScript, Grasshopper) to analyze computer 3D data incorporating generative solutions into architectural design process; prepare handmade physical models; translate computer models into physical models preparing data for architectural model shop equipment (laser cutter, 3D printer); prepare architectural visualization imagery utilizing advanced rendering techniques (MentalRay, VRay, VRayRT) both for design evaluation and marketing materials, incorporating color, composition and perspective and a wide range of rendering styles to suit various presentation needs; use illustration and photo-editing software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter, InDesign) to adjust computer renderings, photographs and create 2D imagery and graphic design elements as a part of design process and client presentation; provide research, planning, and design solutions, applying knowledge of design, construction procedures, building codes and regulations for international projects; research and recommend materials to be used; coordinate with and assist the firm to obtain approvals from clients and regulatory agencies having jurisdiction over projects, including coordinating with local architects and consultants for international projects; coordinate with civil, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection (MEP/FP), lighting, landscape, code, traffic, parking, kitchen, signage, acoustic, security, curtain wall, façade maintenance, special systems, geotechnical, vertical transportation, and structural consultants to incorporate engineering and other building systems into unified design to produce construction documentation; manage and coordinate project data & transmission of all electronic communications using project information management software, Newforma; perform necessary modifications of drawings and specifications as construction projects progress and changes in dimensions, materials, and other aspects of design arise from client, agency or public input; apply architectural principles to review all related shop drawings, samples and mock ups; evaluate general contractor bids and project budgets and coordinate construction budgets with clients and contractors; respond to requests for information (RFI's) and review and respond to contractor change orders; conduct site visits and progress meetings to observe construction progress and assist in preparing field observation reports, final inspections, punch lists, and certificates of substantial completion.

Qualifications

Bachelor of Architecture (5 year) degree or foreign equivalent plus internships and one year experience to include all phases of commercial, mixed use high-rise, retail, residential, institutional, cultural, healthcare, and urban design projects, including new construction, renovation, historic preservation/adaptive reuse projects; design and concept development for competitions; space planning and programming; custom detailing; signage design; researching codes and regulations; developing designs and preparing presentations using hand sketching, building physical models, and Revit, AutoCAD, 3D Studio MAX, MentalRay, VRay, SketchUp, Rhino 3D, RhinoScript, Maya, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, Flash, InDesign, and Painter; coordinating with civil, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection (MEP/FP), lighting, landscape, code, traffic, parking, kitchen, signage, acoustic, security, curtain wall, façade maintenance, special systems, geotechnical, vertical transportation, and structural consultants to incorporate building systems into designs and with contractors on RFI's and change orders; reviewing shop drawings; evaluating contractor bids; conducting site visits and progress meetings; and reviewing and preparing punchlists.

Jan 14, 11 9:01 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/egr/2152418739.html

looking for designer for a high end architecture office that does commercial residential and additions and renovations, will only look at your resume if you submit samples of COMPLETE SETS OF COMMERCIAL AND RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS.

Jan 14, 11 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Frit-

I saw this one or a very long and similar, with endeless tasks and... expectations?
I was reading it for an archi friend of mine sitting next to me and LOLing so hard until our cheeks got cramped.

Jan 14, 11 9:47 am  · 
 · 
trace™

harold - lawyers aren't going on years of unemployment, either

As horrible as all these are, all the unemployed architect's I know would happily take anything at this point. Until there is a clear rebound of the economy and building starts up in earnest, there will continue to be downward pressure on the markets. Supply and demand rules all, for better or worse.

Jan 14, 11 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Frit - was the annual salary one meeelion dollars?

Jan 14, 11 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I guess the real question is if anyone has actually gotten a legitimate job from a craigslist advertisement.

Jan 14, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

No salary mentioned. What I like about that one is that it wants mastery of all phases of a project, under all the various project types, using every piece of software available, in imperial and metric units, with one year experience. That must have been one hell of a year.

Jan 14, 11 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Lol Hell of a year indeed!

Oh yeah only one year of experience! I'm overqualified :(

Jan 14, 11 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
With preliminary direction from a licensed architect, analyze client needs and utilize independent thinking to develop design concepts and refine them into design solutions, [...] and review and respond to contractor change orders; conduct site visits and progress meetings to observe construction progress and assist in preparing field observation reports, final inspections, punch lists, and certificates of substantial completion.

...and all that with only one period. Holy Mother of God where did that asshole learn to write? Architecture school?

Jan 14, 11 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

mantaray you crack me up. That Sim City line was genius!

Jan 14, 11 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Trace,

there was an article in NYTs this week about lawyers and how they cant find jobs either...

Jan 14, 11 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
I thought they shut down the "adult" section...

ahahahaha ... toaster out-mdlered mdler.

Jan 14, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Project Architect:

Established, boutique-sized design firm seeks Project Level Architects with approximately 10 years of US-based, post-graduate experience to work on custom-built, high-end single-family residences and apartment renovations. We are seeking talented, self-motivated and highly-committed, team-oriented architects having a keen interest in appropriate, context-based design, (traditional and contemporary), technical detailing and all-round architectural professionalism. Candidates must have a professional degree, should have diverse skills including AutoCAD, and be based in the New York City area. (Resumes from recent graduates and/or out-of-town respondents will not be reviewed.)

Please e-mail cover letter and resume stating relevant project experience.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/egr/2158749705.html

Jan 14, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
"Trace,

there was an article in NYTs this week about lawyers and how they cant find jobs either..."

i can confirm this... my wife's an unemployed lawyer... so much for a sugar mama!

Jan 14, 11 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Did it occur to anyone else that the ad Frit was originally written as satire?

Jan 14, 11 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Did it occur to anyone else that the ad Frit was originally written as satire?

Jan 14, 11 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
elinor
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/egr/2157401033.html

am i understanding this incorrectly or do they want someone to sign off and file something they've already built?

For $750?

???

Jan 14, 11 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

also, this makes me a bit nervous about crossing the bridges:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/egr/2154374861.html

Jan 14, 11 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

you can all laugh, but i can do all of these things.....and more.....

.....i stayed in a holiday in express last night

Jan 14, 11 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

there's a city called express?

Jan 14, 11 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

ah ha ha, elinor, that is priceless.

We are asking you to list your name and professional license with the city for some random thing that we already built, whose construction details/quality you don't even know (but you are vouching for them!), oh and also represent this built project to the fire department and sign your name and stamp that it is all per code, oh and carry your own insurance for the full term of liability on said unknown construction,

for $750. Oh - and "big" firms in this case presumably means "conscionable".

Jan 14, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

i went ahead and flagged it. but here is the text:

- Produce drawings/documentation for a second bedroom in small condominium Manhattan – floating wall
- Floating wall is already built per verbal agreement with building
- Apply for permission to City and building
- Liaise with building superintendent, and engineer, and fire officer on requirement for approval
- Budget limit $750

Will suit a person recenty qualified, or, an architect sole practitioner etc (i.e.pleeeze no big architect firm, thanks for your understanding)
Please describe professional background, and confirm price is acceptable

* Compensation: $750
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.

Jan 14, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You can't get f'd if you don't respond to the ad.

Jan 14, 11 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

I am sure some shady engineer posing as an architect already collected the 750 in cash and walked....something that will run you 10-15 k in nyc if done right...the fees the condo board alone are more than that, the expediter is more than that...

I applaud the engineer who was shady and took the cash, deserves the dumbasses right.

Jan 14, 11 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
dblock

lol This ad made me really pissed off...

SMALL LOCAL REAL ESTATE GROUP:
We are group of investors, contractors, flippers:
We develop residential re, commercial re, stores, restaurants:
We are looking for a Licensed Architect who is looking for work.
We are looking for someone who understands that this is 2011 not 2004.
We want someone who will work with u$. Part time and by the job only.
Let us know what you're willing to work for.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/egr/2144994157.html

Jan 14, 11 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

"Pleeeez no big firms - I know you're all salivating at the thought of my $750 condo permit job that will add $10,000 a year to your liability insurance, but I simply can't be bothered with responding to you."

God I hope no one takes them up on that ad.

Jan 14, 11 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Older man for younger woman - 45 (Midtown)

It seems so cliche and yet, I have developed an interest in connecting with a younger woman. I am looking for an intelligent and curious young woman, who appreciates experience and wisdom. What I offer can only be gained through years of living, exploring and growing. I am a successful architect and writer, well educated, world traveled, creative, passionate, intelligent, kind and lover of the arts. I am fit, attractive, 45 and married. If you are interested in a conversation about possibilities, please write me.

Jan 14, 11 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Ahh Portland...the third paragraph is awesome.

"Small civil engineering company is looking to hire an entry level drafter that can demonstrate a strong understanding of Autocad, and has professional work experience using it. We are looking to hire immediately, and only have work that lasts to mid summer.

In your cover letter, very briefly describe your experience with developing ''plan and profile'' sheets and dealing with ''station and offset''s.

We are looking for someone with a very specific background and do not have time to train so, please do NOT respond if any of the following words are in your resume, ''architectual'', "residentual", "student", "plumbing", "mechanical"

In the subject line to your reply, please write "I have 6 months drafting experience under a PE'' or "I have 2 years drafting experience under a PE'' or whatever time is true."

Jan 14, 11 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Olaf what would really be shady is to report them for building without a permit. It would be easy for someone to forward that ad to the NYC building dept . for further investigation.

Jan 15, 11 8:46 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I was tihnking that myself, jbushkey, but unfortunately not enough identifying details.

Jan 15, 11 10:07 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Sour grapes manta. That is why I said it would really be shady.

Jan 15, 11 10:36 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

It would definitely not be shady.

Sure, building permits are a nuisance. Sometimes, they are unnecessary-- partial versus full repair.

But I think it is absolutely hilarious for an architect to not report someone for illegal building or claim that it would be shady (hello?! you enjoy protected legal status to make money off of this!?).

But many places across the US are filled full of so many haphazardly built buildings that they not only cause physical harm but more often financial harm.There's about a half dozen TV shows on television on any given moment about this same very subject of poorly managed and illegal construction.

That's about as good advice as telling someone, "You don't need an inspection."

Many places let you file, pay for and print your permit online! And, in most places, permits aren't very expensive nor do they require a follow up inspection! That's the whole point of submitting plans and hiring a professional is not dealing with unnecessary multiple inspections!

Sure, San Fransisco and New York may ream you on permit fees but it's not like these properties are $55,000 ranch houses. They are complicated, old and mostly multi-unit properties with built onto, into and sometimes under each other.

Jan 17, 11 12:02 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Perhaps, if architects were smart, they would start offering payment plans through appropriate creditors than can afford the kinds of complex insurance and liability agreements while providing these necessary services at an affordable monthly rate.

Also, you do realize that you can accept credit cards... right?

Jan 17, 11 12:04 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

If that is how you feel Uxbridge forward the ad to the property authorities in NY. It should be simple for one someone from enforcement to email them pretending to be interested in the job and then send an inspector to their place to fine them.

Jan 17, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 
MACV

I got a 2 family renovation job from an ad on Craigslist about 2 years ago. I sent my resume and a photo of a project similar to theirs in the same city. the owner said she had gotten 250 responses from 6 states. Why did I get the job? She liked the previous project. The fee was hourly at my normal rate.

I haven't been back to Craigslist because I don't want to ruin my winning streak but I may do so soon because my work will run out soon.

Jan 17, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

Nice comment by noodles, maybe someday I will learn tact. Surbanites do not realize that to go to city hall it is not necessary to park their fat, lazy asses 20' from the front door. God forbid you should have to waddle a couple of blocks from where you parked to do your city hall errands. The one absolutely intolerable thing for Americans is the tiniest inconvenience.

Also it is "shoddy" not "shotty". I realize this is on the author not Duncan.

Jan 17, 11 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I picked up a really good job from there not that long ago. It was a bit of a tussle to get them to face the music when it came to the law and the building department, but I succeeded and they received their permit. (I took over from a very large and reputable Chicago firm. They submitted permit drawings that were 15% done and were fraught with numerous omissions and errors. I don't know why they were so bad.)

I have also found that seemingly nice people were a train wreck in the making and there was no educating or talking them out of it.

Recently someone in Chicago wanted an Architect to sign off on a kitchen renovation for $300 in a high-rise where they were demoing a wall and told me that "an easy permit" was acceptable. Perhaps in their naive world but not according to the law.

The crazy thing is that I have had Angie 's list clients that were just as clueless and reckless. They seemed to think that they could tell you that whatever they did was ok because they were going to dock you at the end if you didn't go along.

I dunno. Specialize and find a following. But have 2 or 3 different specialties. Don't put all your eggs in one basket because one thing may go south.

Jan 17, 11 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

oops wrong forum. A little debate about parking in downtown Troy NY. I think I need to limit the number of tabs I have open at one time.

Jan 17, 11 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Haha, I actually think that wrong reply went perfectly as a rebuttal as to why people don't get permits in the first place!

Not because they are expensive or necessarily difficult... but because a lack of centralization in many American cities have made it annoyingly difficult!

Jan 17, 11 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: