Archinect
anchor

Buying a new laptop vs renting

sponge

Hi All,

I've been reading some of the recent threads about which computer to buy. First off, I need help formulating the specs of the computer I'm looking for, I have no idea where to start.I need something new asap as my computer crashed recently and was old and slow anyway and not worth repairing. I will be moving abroad and traveling quite a bit, so I need a lap top. I'm pretty incapable of building my own machine, so that's not an option. I use 3D Studio Max, Revit, Autocad 3D, photoshop, etc. I render using mental ray and get memory errors on some of the old 32 bit dual processor and even quad processor machines I've worked on in the past. I'm looking to spend 1K, 2K max. I work part time, so I don't have money to burn, but I do freelance rendering from time to time, so I need something that can handle that since this will be my only machine.

1) What do I need?
2) Any actual model suggestions?
3) How do you guys feel about renting? FOr example the Boxx laptops are too expensive for me to purchase, would renting be dumb?
4)SOmeone suggested the lenovo ThinkPad W510 mobile workstation, would this be adequate for my needs?

THanks!

Nov 28, 10 7:58 pm
PreFabber

I have been doing alot of research on what is on the laptop market because I will be buying one soon as well.

I'm suspicious of Boxx because you must email them to get a price.. and their website seems misleading, or at least geared towards people who dont know about computer specs.

I think the Lenovo W510 is the best value on the market right now... for workstation laptops... and you can easily find a 10% off coupon code (sometimes more) just by googling it

Its the only 15" laptop I know that has 4 DIMM slots... so you can put up to 16 GB RAM without paying a crazy amount.

When you order, I would recommend that you get the FHD screen (higher resolution - more pixels/inch), and the Solid State Hard Drive if you can afford it... but I wouldnt get the touch-enabled screen.. seems like a huge waste of money.

Also, if you're just getting 8GB RAM, get the one in 2 DIMMS, not 4, that way you can upgrade more easily later. Also, make sure that you get the 64 bit Windows, not the 32 bit

Feb 13, 11 4:33 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I use sager which i bot three years ago. 17" screen with top video card and others. Not cheap though but very reliable. i higly suggest to buy it. it should be cheaper than other brand but with high quality.

Feb 14, 11 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"3) How do you guys feel about renting?"

What are you? An Irish immigrant? ha!

Pro-hint: Renting terms and conditions for equipment that loses its value so quickly will be heavily stacked against your interests.

It's like saying:"I'm too poor to pay $1000, so I will instead pay $2500 for the same thing".

My numbers are not much of an exaggeration.

Feb 14, 11 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

rusty: did you ever rent the computer?

Feb 14, 11 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

cmrhm: I leasted-to-own a computer back in the '90. I just couldn't afford a $3.5k price sticker. I ended up paying a lot more for it than that through financing.

By the time the final bill was due, my computer was worth less than a single monthly payment. It was all worth it to me at the time.

Today computers are significantly cheaper. Figure your budget and just go for it. You'll be better off.

ps. machine I bought back then:
Pentium100
8MB of RAM
1GB harddrive

Feb 14, 11 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Haha! I had a Pentium 120, 800mb drive tho (I was assured there was no possible way I could ever fill that baby up!)

I sold my pretty Honda 600F2 for that, went without transportation for a while. All in the name of Architecture.

Feb 14, 11 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"I sold my pretty Honda 600F2 for that, went without transportation for a while. All in the name of Architecture."

Now that's a hard core commitment to architecture. These new kids should pay attention. I bet most of them would drop out if having to chose between architecture and having a cell phone.

Damn kids.

Feb 14, 11 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

that was so early, rusty. For rendering? You must have beautiful story with 8MB of ram. My firm rented one for me several years for animation rendering, it cost 250 for a week. Too expensive and very stressful.

It is much better to buy one than rent.

Feb 14, 11 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

not sure if it's this way anymore but back when levono was IBM, the thinkpads were built pretty sturdy to withstand a drop test...you mentioned traveling aboard with the laptop, so vibrations & occasional jarring of the laptop might be something you want to take into account...

Feb 15, 11 10:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: