Archinect
anchor

Architectural Criticism/ Architectural writing as parallel practice

archanonymous

Do any archinect members contribute written works to architecture press, local periodicals and press, or websites? 

I really like that doing these articles gives me a reason to evaluate the city with a critical eye, and to really analyse what, how, why the architect made the choices they did - things I had not been focusing on since getting out of academia. 

I have been doing some crits/ interviews for a print periodical and feel like I finally got the question writing/ interview process figured out pretty well. 

Plus, doing interviews with architects when critiquing their buildings has gotten me in to talk with more office heads/ firm principals in the last year than in all of my job searching combined. Not that I am looking, but when I decide to move on... they all know my name and face. 

Anyone else do or enjoy this type of writing? Anyone making money on it?

Jun 19, 14 9:26 am

Two friends, at different stages of their careers, that I would suggest you to reference as examples are Charles Linn and Gilad Meron. Like anything, I'm sure it's been a labor of love for them at times, but they both seem to have found a relevant and sustainable career in the field of architectural writing.

Jul 14, 14 10:44 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Archanonymous, sound like a great idea. What is sorely needed is local analysis of our built environment. There are many critics writing nationally about signature architecture but no one speaking locally.

Years ago AIA had an Orchids and Onions program that local chapters and newspapers could template. No one would touch it. If you do it be careful, architecture is a business. As a 40 year owner/architect I would have crucified anyone criticizing my work. Architects by breed are super sensitive people and just using the wrong word in an email can set them off. Something like this could kill a practice…I think you would agree with me though that some need to be killed. It could kill your career. I enjoy writing too and am starting a Bog which will include critiques of local work, but I’m retired with a secure pension.

I think it can be done by you if you are really skilled in the subject of Architecture as an art. Commenting on national work could be cathartic for you and helpful to others. I notice a lot of letters to the editor in the mags critiquing published work, but at your tender stage I think you need to find something anonymous. After all your entire name is Archanonymous.

Jul 17, 14 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I used to as a marketing thing.  Basically local paper stuff on various articles on more technical aspects of quality.  It's not a 'paid thing' just so you know.  I worked with a publicist and we submitted articles to the paper.  They'd run some, some they didn't.  Not a critique as much as it was 'what to look for' or maybe trends in some current specific buildings (like an article for Fire Chief Magazine talking about fire station designs and considerations)....  Stopped doing it because of cost and time with little 'reward' to show for the effort.  Just something to put in the portfolio as "published"... 

And this was before blogging, review websites and all the online stuff.  That's how I'd break into now to establish a presence and generate name recognition.

Btw; Can't stand most architectural reviews and write-ups.  While 'pretty' buildings, I've been to a lot with major issues that were 'not mentioned' in the review touting how great the design and spaces were.  Sort of like articles about how awesome Linsdsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen look and are and ignoring the rest like it has no bearing on it. 

Jul 17, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: