Archinect
anchor

The Sickest Critque

RoBBie

Has anybody ever heard of a Professor Imas, I believe that he has taught at Columbia and Copper and is currently at NyIt. Just curious about his background. He gave my group and I the most informative critque, through out our four years.

What are some of your favorite critques....good or bad?

Nov 10, 04 5:37 pm
whistler

John Patkau....smart, intelligent, current, a quick study, articulate and most importantly a low quotient and tolerance for bullshit. Always educational and inspiring.

Andrew Gruft....last name says it all. straight forward, says what he thinks and no bullshit. Great clarity and conviction to theme / concept / ideas.

Nov 10, 04 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

yep he gave me a pretty good crit as well. he was the guy that had the strong accent right. dont really know his backround to much-sorry.
but i think i saw your crit were you the guys who had the frank gehry type design. rIGHT?? my favorite critque is jon michael schwarting- (HEAD OF THE GRADUATE PROGRAM AT NYIT) very informative and intelligent, he also gives you alot to look at as far as presedence.
T

Nov 11, 04 12:44 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

The graduate program is doing the same project so he's would be pretty good critque.
--side note... do you know who is teaching design 6 in westbury?
im thinking of moving to better my education!

Nov 11, 04 12:48 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

Rodolfo Imas ?

From argentina ?

I worked with him as jury advisor for the Central Urban Park Internatioinal Competition.

quite a character......has that "porteño" personality for which argentinians are hated in south america + a snobby new yorker attitude at first.......

later when u get to know him and work with him, he presents an incredible sensibility towards design and art........very spiritual person
he would always lead the jury in a totally different direction when they'd all get design-heavy....he would critique with the most sensibility towards space and its relation to the user.

it was fun meeting him, send him my best regards from La Paz the city at 3600m.

Nov 11, 04 9:01 am  · 
 · 
RoBBie

Thanks alot MauOne, I will send him your regards

architeke..what did you think about the critques? I dont know if you would put our design in the gehry category. But to some I guess you could classify it as that. What did you think? All i know that if it wasn't for Prof Imas the crituqe would have been alittle short handed.

For Design 6 I know that there is going to be a highly experimental design class dealing with formal issues which I think is going to be incredible...lead by Prof Ilkaneva and Prof Dockery or Prof Amatuzzo...then there is another class which I am trying to get administered which the Dean Dimaio will teach...cause it is her project from Yale.

Nov 11, 04 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
herbst

Matt Dockery? He's going to be leading an experimental design class?

Nov 11, 04 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
RoBBie

That is the word on campus...You seem alittle doubtful?

Nov 11, 04 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

i thought that matt dockery was very informative as well as rob lane from the RPA--i wonder if my professor gave you a crit...you probobly would have left the bldg. b/c she has no idea what she is talking about. i would like to see your presentation again, i was kinda running around checking everybody out and presenting like 5 times. i guess im willing to duke it out w/ prof. amatitties once again--he was my professor for the italy trip this past summer. but i think i would much rather have matt dockery or ilkaneva-----as for the dean she is a complete moron and would never take a class that she would teach. what is the deal w/ this other class? - what does it involve? besides yale and the dean! haha! i believe she was only the chair of the department @ yale and she was asked to leave?????????- is it possible that some other more intelligent professor might teach it! - if the dean teaches it do you think i might actually learn from it? and you - do you think it will be a great learning expierience if the dean teaches it? shouldn't she have her head into better issues like making westbury a presentation space similiar to the manhattan one? which is great. flat screens plenty of pinn-up space not in a hallway! or how about accomidating the 175 central islip architecture students that will attend old westbury in the fall 05 i dont believe that thier is enough studio space right now.........sorry ok im done .. i got it out...wow i really needed that thanx for listening

Nov 11, 04 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
RoBBie

A lot of questions, hopefully I can give you the answers... Here it goes.

I have got to stand up for the Dean, thanks to her not only has the facilities improved but the building is finally open 24 hours, there is coffee in the cafe and our name finally has some merit. I mean look at our lecture series, Lebbus, Predock, talk about shocking. I believe that she was a teacher @ Yale. She also did numerous competitions with Colin Rowe. She is highly respected and incredibly intellectual. She stayed with us for a week in Berlin, this past summer. Though she couldn't ride a bike, she made up for it threw the history of Shinkel. I think that it would be a pleasure to have her as a teacher. Trust me you would learn a lot. They don’t just make anybody the dean. I think that she has a handle on the issues that you discussed. I can't wait for you guys to come to Old Westbury; finally we can become a single entity. Let show them what we got.........
NYIT 05' baby Watch Out

O yeah you got any cute girls over there in CI

Nov 11, 04 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

NOT REALLY THATS WHY I WANNA GO TO WESTBURY -- ALTHOUGH THERE IS THE SORORITIES THAT HAVE SOME ADVENTUROUS GIRLS!!
YEP THE DEAN SPENT A WEEK W/ US AS WELL BUT ALL HER AND AMATUZZO DID WAS ARGUE--AND I CANT WAIT TO TEAM UP WITH SOMEONE FROM WESTBURY - I LIKE THE TONE OF YOUR VOICE...IT ALWAYS SEEMS LIKE THE WESTBURY STUDENTS AND FACULTY LOOK DOWN ON THE CI STUDENTS---THOUGH WE DO HAVE A COUPLE OF SLACKERS WHO DONT KNOW THEIR TRIANGLE FROM A T-SQUARE-HOW THEY MADE IT TO DESIGN 5 IS A MYSTERY TO ME

Nov 11, 04 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
herbst

I can't imagine Matt Dockery leading an experimental studio at all, unless he's totally changed from a few years back. When I knew him, he was just out of grad school, and was the most conservative, dogmatic designer you could imagine. He worshipped Michael Graves, and would not concede to the legitimacy of any intellectual architectural position or tradition other than the legacy of Colin Rowe and the Texas Rangers. Not only was he conservative to the extreme, he was conceited and arrogant in his extremism. So much so that I would be very surprised to learn that he has changed.

Nov 11, 04 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
RoBBie

I know that he worked for Mr. Graves, though now currently running his own firm. Being my current design professor and I must say the man knows his history. I am going to say that he is a changed man. One must first learn the past before he is capable of designing the future. I guess he made that step, which now pushes him to lead my class in an experimental direction whether our ideas are conservative or radical.

Nov 11, 04 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

archiTEKE...did you get an opportunity to stop by the gallery space in the main Manhattan building and check out some of the Manhattan students who didn’t present?.......pretty awe inspiring

Nov 11, 04 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

Andrew Gruft was a classic! only got to see him in action a few times for thesis work.

ummm...i'd have to say that my ass hurt most whenever i came in contact with this prick named bill pechet. not because i cared what he said about my work, but because he attampted to make my life a living hell...all due to my indifference towards him and his teaching (and i'm using that word loosly!).

dude, who says that all architects have to dress in black, act fairy and think about the flight of the migrating sparrow while 'designing'?

i liked pissing him off. acting all indifferent when he would try and destroy me. i relished in tha fact that his blood pressure rise when he came in contact with me. hope he visits this forum...hehehehe...

one thing for ya buddy: "PIGEON PARK IS INHABITATED BY CRACK HEADS AND 2 DOLLAR WHORES...nomatter how many army hat light standards you place in there!!!"...lol

Nov 12, 04 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

Archistylz--------no i didnt -- i wish i knew it was there i definatly would of went. what floor is it on? and why didnt they present their projects?

Nov 12, 04 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
beccabecca11

If you would like a second ass-hole (one for ass-raping and another for more natural functions) come to a Penn State 5th year thesis critique and ask for Bret Peters... It's quite enjoyable, especially if you are a masochist!

Nov 13, 04 12:41 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

i don’t know why they didn’t present ......only think i can think of was they didnt what to divulge certain ideas they are working with---and some of there models where too big to fit in the elevator

Nov 13, 04 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: