Archinect
anchor

Successful Cover Letter Examples

stevenas135

I am looking for great CV examples. if anybody with a high batting average for job applications is willing to post successful examples please do so anonymously. just blur out your name/ contact info or the firm names if you don't want to show them.  thanks.

Jun 11, 14 4:53 pm
jdparnell1218

So, you want someone to do your work for you?  And of all places, you came here?  I'm going to wait for Miles and Non Sequitur to come around.

Jun 11, 14 5:15 pm  · 
1  · 
accesskb

be original. write your own.

Jun 11, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
kmahoney7

I'm curious about this as well. Its not a matter of having your work done for you, its more finding an example of a technique that stands a half decent chance of getting past your standard HR rep. Especially now given that the HR field seems to have collectively gone insane of late. I'll repeat for you what advise I've gotten in my yearlong job search, make it simple, easily read, and easily skimmable. Granted, neither this approach nor any other that I've tried has worked yet but who knows.

Jun 11, 14 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Why not google it?  I'm just thinking that no one is going to cut and paste their cover letter for you on this forum.

Jun 11, 14 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Any insights by hiring people would be intriguing. I've Googled around, Google does have all the answers I seek.  Mines been somewhat successful, I've wrangled a few jobs with it.   Here's a version of what I send:

Dear Mr./Ms. Architect,

I am wondering about the availability of an architectural intern position at Awesome Architecture.  Something about how awesome their company is + mentioning work that I especially like. (Stroke that ego!) 

I have previous experience at Cool Architecture Firm doing pretty cool architecture.  I experienced the full range of doing architecture from CDs to even the admin.  I got sh!t done quickly and of the utmost quality no matter if I was working alone or in a team.  

I have some good tools that could help your awesome firm become even more awesomer.  I even have won an award or two, so that must mean something, right?!

Thanks Ms./Mr. Awesome Architect for taking your valuable time, I would be thrilled if you contact me.   Plz, plz.  Here's how you can get in touch. Oh, and check out my resume and portfolio pdf, I promise, your eyes will have an orgasm.

Sincerely,

Your future servant.

I'm casually searching for a firm that uses some latest tech (Rhino/GIS/Revit plzzzzzz) and has a research-centric design process (Studio Gang/SHoP/Patkau/Howler Yoon plzzzz)  but I don't mind my current firm even with its quirks.  (Using the worst CAD program ever invented and accredits my speed when I show them a new program, whoops).  So Any advice on how to kick it with BIG would be great.        

Jun 11, 14 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
kmahoney7

bloody hell that was epic

Jun 11, 14 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
stevenas135

"  I'm casually searching for a firm that uses some latest tech (Rhino/GIS/Revit plzzzzzz) and has a research-centric design process (Studio Gang/SHoP/Patkau/Howler Yoon plzzzz)  but I don't mind my current firm even with its quirks.  (Using the worst CAD program ever invented and accredits my speed when I show them a new program, whoops).  So Any advice on how to kick it with BIG would be great."

hit the nail on the head with that one...but I can't tell if you're actually serious about the previous part.  

Jun 12, 14 12:45 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I feel it's a common sentiment among recent grads to be searching for firms that are up-to-date.  There was a post a little while ago asking why interns were flakey and I think it has to do with the fact that most of the firms aren't doing projects in a manner that excite me to work for them.  In school, my design process what informed by research (solar, programmatic, material, ect studies) which was an exciting problem solving activity where the form was indicative of its function.  But at the firms I've worked at, the design process is more self-referencing and the disillusionment that the project is going to win an AIA award.  Clad all the walls in ipe, it'll impress other architects.  I feel I'm just designing buildings that are a built manifestation of the Architect's ego.  (I think this is a residue of the licensing process.)

The cover letter was a satire of my actual one.  I have a few sentences on each of the following points:

1. Why I want to work for their firm, which has the duality of complementing them.
  2. My past experience, which informs them that I'll be a productive member of their firm right away.  
  3. What I excel in and a mention of past recognition 
  4. Thanking them, telling them to check out the attached portfolio/resume, and how to get in contact.

This is just what I've found to work.  Working at small firms, I've had the opportunity to be on the inside during the hiring process.  It's all about timing.  I've been at a firm that was casually interviewing and there were some stellar candidates but they weren't ready to hire.  Months later they ended up hiring some tepid at best intern who had happened to recently contact them.

Jun 12, 14 7:21 am  · 
 · 
kartikjadhav

Yah same here...

Is there any big hearted guy who can share his secrets.. :P (no offense ppl)

It will be better if some people who got hired upload thier cv's so that people like me can learn something from it.

Jun 12, 14 7:22 am  · 
 · 
3tk

intro: introduce myself - "I'm a blah blah blah designer with strong interests in blah blah blah" -backed up in CV and work sample; I am inquiring about opportunities with your studio as I 'was impressed with so-and-so's presentation at blah / enjoyed the insight given by so-and-so at my thesis review / had a great conversation with so-and-so at such and such event' (note having an 'insider' contact high up in a firm is the best way to get a response.

paragraph 1: why they're great - be specific (project, an essay a partner wrote, a lecture they gave...)

paragraph 2: why I'm great (match skills, interests with what they need/want)

paragraph 3: why we'd be great together.

close out with a strong statement about how you want to get to know them better and would love to discuss their work in person (don't ask for the job)

In almost every case I had a contact who was a friend of my advisor or was a reviewer/critic while I was in school.  Recommendations from former employees also can work.  In some cases firms got back after I had taken another offer, in which case they asked for leads (where a friend ended up with the job).  If you're cold-calling be polite, respectful and emphasize that you want to learn so much from them.

Jun 12, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Know your firm and cater your lingo to that particular culture. 

There is a difference between a "Hello!" and a "To Whom it May Concern:" introduction and both are perfect. You just have to know who you are sending it to. This is why there is really no such thing as a universally successful cover letter.

Jun 12, 14 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, jdparnell1218, I'm here... what did I miss?

I've always kept the cover letter extra short. No one has time to read a 300 word short story. Many office receive dozens of resumes, if not more, per day.

Jun 12, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Courvoisier, some good advice here and there, best is short and to the point. I was an employer for 40 years and it was “Blah-Blah-Blah” – flip. But a cover is still essential. There are things that just do not fit into a resume and have to be explained somewhere. Here is my outline:

First – start out with a compliment in a short sentence. “I’ve been following your work….” This should be easy now; it’s all on their webpage.

Second – Your situation. Where are you and what station of life/career are you in. If you are out of town explain what you are willing to do. Do not ask for compensation/reimbursement. If you are a big-gun then they will pay. If not you have a better chance if you are up front and offer to cover. Also if out of town be complementary and anxious to be there. If you are out of work don’t mention it, it’s a killer.

Third – Hit the experience and capabilities with bulleted points. They are easy to read and memorable. Repeat them in your resume. In many ways this is the whole thing, resumes get scanned too.

• Over 10 years of architectural experience
  • Fluent and accomplished in AutoCADXX, Rivet, BIM…..
  • Accomplished project manager
  • Exceptional writing and verbal skills
  • Exceptional problem resolution skills
  • Analytical, versatile, function well under pressure

You really have to OCD this thing. To be successful it really all has to pop. This is the document that will be used to choose you. It qualifies you. Some think that the resume is important at the interview, its not. If you get to an interview they have already judged you qualified, all the interview is for is to see if you will fit in and not be a liability. Also, all are correct, there are hundreds of resumes floating, you need to be creative, and they expect you to be creative. Send hard copy by US Mail and FedEx to principals and PM’s, they will look at it and sticky-note to HR. I believe in rifle shots over shot guns, target someone specific, go around HR…Jesus I feel sorry for today’s candidates, this whole HR thing with their gate-keepers is insurmountable.

Also, for God sake answer the phone! I'm not going to chase you.

One last bit of advice to you all. In resumes and interviews never ever, ever say anything negative about yourself, your firm, other firms, your school or your station in life, it’s a killer.

Hope this has been of some help. Need more? Just ask.

Jul 19, 14 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

GraduatedLicensure, good solid points and ideas. Problem today is email. They are all in many ways their own worst enemy, clicking send 50 times. Multiply that by everybody in the country and you get HR departments. I was reluctant to go there but ‘Old School” is the paradigm. Jesus Christ we are talking about architects here…if one can’t think outside the box and do something creative who would want them. I always gravitated to the better approach/presentations…hand lettering? I think I got one of your resumes!

To point, I was once advised to write or call and ask potential clients if we could meet and talk, I needed some advice. I used it in project marketing but the same applies, job seeking is marketing. It worked beautifully, it’s a soft sell. Ask to meet to get advice about your portfolio, job seeking or the business environment in your community. Go to one of their jobs and take pictures and ask to visit after, you had some questions. One guy in here is writing small articles for publications and asks to meet for an interview on their project. The object here is to get face-to-face with someone. One meeting and you have a relationship, multiply that even 5 times and you’re out of the In Box.

Another tool is networking. Just one hand shake and you’re in…fire off a letter (not an email) the next day and thank them for the opportunity to meet….better yet go the next day and look at one of their projects and incorporate some observations you made and wish them well with it. Nothing gooey, do some homework for God sake! Think of something insightful to say….take a picture of something/detail and ask a question, include your email, maybe they will write you back. Old School you “little shits” (you sound like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman)……get out of the In Box and face to face with people and the way you do that is demonstrated here and by GraduatedLicensure. Seek out others for more ideas.

Jul 20, 14 1:07 am  · 
 · 
zonker

an architect solves problems - courvoisier - your problem to solve is how to write successful CV - its a design problem.

Jul 20, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
MattBowd

Good thing! I have wrote an article for this, go check out this page http://globaltechvillage.com/write-great-online-curriculum-vitae-cv/

hope it helps!! :)

Aug 14, 14 8:48 am  · 
 · 
ark1t3kt

If you want the easy way out, go to fiverr.com and pay some $5 to write it for you. 

Aug 14, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 

If applying to a posted position, simply be sure to tailor to the job description, read it well, and read as much upon that firm as much as you can! Don't start every sentence with "I." In fact, drive yourself a little crazy by trying NOT to start as much as possible. Of course, I'm not saying that you write your CL like you're Bob Dole (speaking in third person).

In the 2nd paragraph, match your skills/experience with what you're looking for. Use bullet points! Yeah, it's nice to talk about what you know, what you've done, and what you can do for them, but if it doesn't tailor to what they expect or need, then off to the shredder your CL/resume will go.

Aug 14, 14 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I've wondered myself about that bulleted 2nd paragraph format.  Although, for an HR manager it is a time saver, isn't the CL also attached to the resume which has a much the same bulleted info?  Now I don't doubt most people riding the HR desk are asleep at the wheel most of the time and can't be bothered actually reading any submissions, but it does seem pretty redundant to list skills in bullet points in two different formats...

Aug 14, 14 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Those bulleted points are the heart of the submission and need repeating. Even though attached the cover letter and the resume are read separately. They too could get separated.

Aug 15, 14 8:46 am  · 
 · 
good details

After sending out around 40 custom tailored cover letters and only getting a few informational interviews over the course of 3 months I was getting pretty frustrated.  I found a job posting on craigslist of all places for a design/build gig for a major company.  It was a really great sounding job (hands on work, full benefits, guranteed no OT) and figured I did not have a snowball's chance in hell of getting it.  Regardless, I called the company and asked who I should direct my cover letter to for the position as I had done with every cover letter before.  They gave me a name and I proceeded to write a cover letter that was the polar opposite of everything I had written until that point.

My cover letter started out exactly like this...

To *insert managers name

I like to build shit.

From there I just talked about why I like designing and especially building things.

Got a call the next day from the manager who laughed and said I was the first person to even bother calling to find out her name.  Between that and my ballsy cover letter I was given an interview later that week and was hired on shortly after that.  They had been looking for someone for 4 months before they filled the position with me and had apparently screened countless applications and done plenty of interviews.

Sometimes after trying things by the book it may be worth it to throw an oddball out into the sea and see if it does anything.  It worked for me.

Oct 20, 15 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Do what others don't.

Oct 20, 15 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Tell me your skills, experience and how you can make my firm money..... pretty basic and to the point.  Might not work with every firm but certainly get you in the door with any firm that values employees who know their self worth and what they bring to the table.

Oct 21, 15 12:08 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

The magic formula for writing cover letters is "You. Me. We."

Short. Sweet. To the point. Specific.

Use a few bullet points. Busy people love bullet points.

Oct 21, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
jlrobbins

I highly recommend that you go here: http://jessie-zaylia.blogspot.com/2010/09/does-this-cover-letter-make-my-butt.html for cover-letter advice.

Apr 25, 16 5:41 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Deal with it

Apr 25, 16 5:58 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Use your brains to think for 5 mins.  You aren't writing an essay.  Show us what you come up with and we will give you advice/suggestions if required.

Dec 21, 16 4:21 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

The thread is 2.5 years old. Most likely he figured this out by now.

Dec 21, 16 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
sukk741

The symbol is the point of delivery and the need to reproduce. The letter and resume will be read separately. They will be separated.

Dec 22, 16 2:59 am  · 
 · 
randomized

This was the intro of an application I received recently:

" "There will be better days"

I hear this line too often. Its uncanny but true how the social life around us is so full into themselves. Faraway from the utmost reality of how this nature has helped us evolve our minds to reach a stage of a compromise with our own ego to not perish the new and do good for the people and environment. Architecture has always empowered me to think more in all aspects of the world. It changed the way I think about the slightly tilted axial earth. It made me realise how important it is to actually realise the need of the people and the future of this planet. Ranging from a vertical farm or a port for the people of kinmen to a kinetic pavilion in Stockholm I evolved myself to think about the situations on a rural as well as urban levels and act upon keeping the future use in mind for the beautiful people of this existence. I not think but believe that your firm is really inspiring and I see myself fitting in your concepts and working mode."

This one is also a classic, a two for one application:

"Dear Sir or Madam ,

We would like to apply for a job in your architecture firm . The reason why we are interested in it is due to the opportunity of learning more about architecture from professionals.

We are a couple of architecture students, who study in the final semester of their Bachelor studies. Before taking our Master studies, we would like to achieve new experince during the employment in the term from 6 to 12 months. We would be privileged if you considered to extend our cooperation.

After our graduation we would like to work for an European architecture firm. We are convinced that it will provide us with a great chance of development as young architects.

Both of us have considerable experience in working for architecture firms, where we had the opportunity to make architecture drawings and 3D visualizations, at which we are especially skilled. 

Below you will find the links to our behance portfolios, in which we demonstrate our greatest works: 

[deleted]

[deleted]

Please also find enclosed our curricula vitae for your consideration. 

It would be a great honour for us if we could make a valuable contribution to your company. 

Yours faithfully,

[deleted] and [deleted]"

Oh crap I misread, the post said successful cover letters....

Dec 22, 16 9:22 am  · 
 · 
engrfahadmohsin

can anyone check my motivational letter and send it to me on my id,

[email protected]

Muhammad Fahad Mohsin                                                                         Flat # 12, Prince Arcade,

F.B. Area Block # 7, Karachi, Pakistan.

E-Mail: [email protected]

February 12, 2017

Tempus Public Foundation

H-1077 Budapest, Kéthly Anna tér 1. 
Postal address: H-1438 Budapest 70, PO Box. 508. 

Phone: (+36 1) 237-1300, fax: (+36 1) 239-1329 

Subject: Motivation letter for Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship

Dear Selection Committee,

With this letter, I would like to apply for a Master program in Mechanical Engineering which is going to be start in September, 2017. Currently, I have been working in Agriauto Industries Limited as a Development Engineer. I have attended my Bachelor degree in Automotive Engineering from NED University of Engineering & Technology, in Pakistan. These four years of Bachelor`s program formed the basis of my perseverance towards achieving an in-depth knowledge in the aspiring field.

Through my previous research work experience in Automotive Engineering, I have accrued great knowledge of designing a braking system for light vehicles like cars and Sport Utility Vehicles in which it can easily equipped with latest electronic systems; Antilock Braking system (ABS) and Traction Control System (TCS) and it is a remarkable achievement that undergraduate student design vehicle braking system under the guidance of his advisor by using modern CAD Software and perform analysis on simulating software like ANSYS. In my current workplace, I am also learning how to use CAD software and implement engineering designs (including safety requirements and engineering standard practice) in professional environment, which is also having a link with my final year project of Bachelor studies. I am very excited after reading about Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship that it is Hungarian state financed scholarship for International Students, providing scholarship in various academic programs and it also include Master Program of Mechanical Engineering which I want to pursue for my further studies I am sure that it is the course that will aptly suit my appetite.

My decision to continue my further studies in Hungary is underscored by my desire to be a part of the master’s program at your institution. The pioneering works going on at the department, which include the development of Latest Happening and how to go ahead for solutions, perfectly match with the field of my interest. I specially appreciate the wide range of offered modules and the freedom in making your study plan. The interdisciplinary nature has convinced me in taking this decision as it is the ideal choice for an exciting research career. At the same time, it makes me confident to contribute to the ongoing research work at your department. By working under the guidance of distinguished faculty, I shall certainly be able to exploit my potential to the fullest.

Good reputation and assurance of quality education, conjointly forces me to reach there because one can not only fulfill his academic needs but also secure bright future. Knowledge gained on the studies at your institute, I see as an extraordinary career opportunity to interact with students and scholars from diverse professional and cultural backgrounds coming from around the World.  Moreover, I perceive networking as very important step for integration of different ideas and perspectives pertaining to diverse issues.

I am confident that the erudite faculty would not only empower my career development, but would give me the framework to utilize skills & enthusiasm concurrently. It will broaden my horizons and provide me an opportunity to be a part of that intellectually stimulating environment where my talents will put to optimal use. I would therefore, feel obliged to be able to secure admission in your prestigious university as a substitute I am sure that I will match all the credentials and will be able to maintain high standards at your varsity.

Thank you in advance for considering my application, and I look forward to a favorable reply.

Sincerely,

M. Fahad Mohsin

Feb 17, 17 11:46 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Surely you jest Fahad? You came to an architectural forum to look for feedback in engineering discipline? Nevermind it's for a cover letter (students these days), but seriously?

Feb 17, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

From the movie Pretty Woman;

Hollister: Mr. Lewis? How's it going so far?

Edward: Pretty well, I think. I think we need some major sucking up.

Hollister: Very well, sir. You're... not only handsome, but a powerful man. I could see the second you walked in here, you were someone to reckon with...

Edward: Hollister.

Hollister: Yes, sir?

Edward: Not me. Her.

Apr 26, 21 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: