Archinect
anchor

Architecture related exhibitions?

lifeform

Just wondering if anyone has seen any cool Architecture-related exhibitions anywhere Internationally or in US in the past couple years that blew you away?

Did anyone see the 'Open: New Public Spaces' at the Van Alen?
or the 'Urban Life: Housing' at the Architectural League?

any comments or suggestions of cool exhibhits out there are much appreciated. thanx.

Nov 9, 04 12:49 pm

for upcoming and current exhibitions check the Archinect Event Calendar:

Upcoming, Current/Ongoing

Nov 9, 04 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
a-f
"The Stadium"

- loved the way One created such an unconventional and engaging exhibition. Even played some football...

Nov 9, 04 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform

(Paul - Thanks, I saw those. But unfortunately those are just a 'list' and description of exhibits. I wanted to get criticisms from the archinect community or worthwhile exhibitions, the ones that rise to the top of the list.)

Nov 9, 04 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

The Diller/Scofidio show at the Whitney was a blast. It got my mind working and, even though I had to rush through (closing time last day in NY), gave me a lot of things to chew on for a while after. After the exhibit I searched out the background behind the projects I saw so I could understand further what the issues and explorations had been.

Contrast: The Gehry exhibit of current work in LA was sensory overload and actually caused me to shut down. Why is it helpful to show us practically every model made? I know it shows the process, but the process is so visceral and opaque (meaning we can't intuit why one formal decision might have been made over another) that it just pissed me off.

I'm a fan of Gehry, I should say, and I know that the work is rigorously studied. But this exhibit was not a good representation to the lay public of the thinking that goes into architecture. Instead I could see it giving further credence to those who think it's all arbitrary.

Much better (in LA) was the exhibit of designs at the Schindler Kings Road house: architects' proposals for what might make a suitable neighbor. Much more engaging and compelling...

Nov 9, 04 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

MVDRV's 3D City (Berlage) was worthwhile.

Nov 9, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

oi ... VRDV, but you know what i meant.

Nov 9, 04 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: