Torrance, CA, US
Pariser Platz was originally laid out between 1732 and 1734 as part of Berlin's second Baroque expansion outwards from the historical city center. Its original name was just "Viereck" or "Quarree", both meaning literally "square" - it was one of three new ornamental plazas laid out during this period, the others being the "Octogon" (now Leipziger Platz) and "Rondell" (now Mehringplatz). It received its current name in 1814 following the capture of Paris by Prussian troops. By 1850 it was surrounded by buildings in largely classiscist style, which remained largely unchanged until the Second World War.
Pariser Platz was heavily damaged, but not completely destroyed, during the War, and several buildings were in repairable condition, including the Hotel Adlon. In the weeks following capitulation this building burned down however, the story being that this occurred during a particularly racous party celebrated by Soviet army officers.
Status: School Project
Location: Berlin, Germany