The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, commonly referred as M. S. University (MSU), is a university in the city of Vadodara, (Baroda) in Gujarat state, India. Originally known as the Baroda College of Science (established 1881), it became a university in 1949 after the independence of the country and later renamed after its benefactor Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III, the former ruler of Baroda State. It is a teaching and residential university. It is the only university in Gujarat whose medium of instruction is English for all courses. India Today has ranked the university at tenth place in their list of India's best universities. while Hindustan Times has ranked it at the Sixth Place.
Department of Architecture
The Department of Architecture at the Faculty of Technology & Engineering at the Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda is recognised for quality teaching, the calibre of its staff and the achievements of its graduates. Established in 1949, it is housed in the heart of the campus and is served by studios, workshops, computer lab and library.
The focus of the undergraduate course is the teaching of architectural design through studio-based projects. The projects involve the application and integration of the knowledge and skill acquired from the supporting subjects. The course also includes a one semester (14 weeks minimum) office training programme whereby students are exposed to learning on the field. Currently the Department has a full time enrolment of 200 students. The department has encouraged learning beyond the classroom and regular course work. Students and staff are encouraged to participate in competitions, workshops and conferences. Many teaching faculty have been invited to international conferences and meetings, granted fellowships and invited to teach at the international universities. Various faculty members are involved in regular professional practice and along with practicing professionals, who are visiting faculty at the Department, provide a strong bridge between academics and the professions.
Department of Architecture is a part of Faculty of Technology and Engineering of MSU conducting the B.Arch. course since 1952. The department has a long-standing reputation for imparting architectural education since 1890. This is primarily reflected through the achievements of several architects who graduated from Kalabhavan and later from MSU.
Some faculty members are engaged in research and fieldwork activities. MSU permits the teachers to undertake consultancy works. Senior faculty members are also functioning as visiting professors, expert members of Boards of Studies and on Examination Panels of other institutions, in India and abroad. Research Project/Design Projects done by the Department, Faculty members and students have been useful to Government, Semi-Government, and other Institutions.
D.N.Hall, MSU Main Campus
Vadodara, IN , 390001