Founded in 1952 as a training centre for fine arts, thanks to the pioneering efforts of the former governor of Pondicherry late Sayajirao Silam and social activist late N. E. Puram, a five year full-time diploma course in Architecture was initiated in 1954 by Mr. S.G.Athavale. Functioning under the auspices of Abhinav Kala Mahavidyalaya with Principal Diwakar Dengle looking after both the Arts and the Architecture disciplines, the latter came in for a major revamp under Mr. Ratnakar G. Pundlik since 1963 . This triggered a spate of significant changes, so much so that students from distant parts of state were drawn towards the Institute and the alumni soon started bagging ambitious projects. The old course was revised in 1964 and the first batch rolled out in 1970. Thereafter, Mr. Vaikunth Sardesai took over from Mr. Pundlik in 1976, for what then went on to become an 18-year long stint, lending the Institute steadiness and a social orientation. The Department of Architecture was affiliated to the University of Poona in July 1978 , concurrently rolling in the first batch the same year for a course leading to a degree of 'Bachelor of Architecture '.
To supplicate its professional commitment, the Institute intends to redefine and revitalise its social participation in a broader perspective . Under consideration are an in-house consultancy cell, welfare schemes for students and teachers, an alumni centre, an extension centre, a programme for continuing education, quality improvement pursuits for teachers, new laboratories and a material museum. The Institute is also seeking the participation of ex-students in its fund-raising drive. To boost better professional interaction, the Institute is poised to take a lead in specialised lectures through open fora by inviting personalities from diverse but allied fields such as poets, writers, painters, sculptors, sociologists, marketers, economists, historians, politicians, etc.
2043, Sadashiv peth,
Pune, IN , 411030