The Department of Architecture at the University of Cambridge is an exciting and stimulating place to study. Regularly lauded as one of the leading architecture schools in the world, our carefully regulated student numbers ensure that each student’s progress is closely cultivated by world-renowned researchers and ground-breaking practitioners. Our supportive, community atmosphere gives students the opportunity to take risks in pushing the boundaries of the field and of their own abilities in exciting new directions.
At Cambridge, we believe that creativity, curiosity and strong intellectual grounding are fundamental parts of architectural education. Our innovative design program, delivered by tutors working at the cutting edge of contemporary architecture, is balanced by outstanding teaching in the history and philosophy of architecture, contemporary culture and urbanism as well as construction and structural and environmental design. The core of our teaching is carried out in our studio, where undergraduate students have design space. Students are supervised on their design projects individually by tutors who draw from their extensive experience as practicing professional architects. Studio design work accounts for 60% of the overall marks each year with the remaining 40% made up of academic courses on the history and philosophy of architecture and structural and environmental design. These are taught through lectures and supervisions (small group classes in which students can discuss their work in-depth with leading researchers and professors on a weekly basis). We believe that academic research is a central part of the architect’s training, and has an integral part to play in the design process: creating structures that are not just aesthetically pleasing and structurally sound, but which also serves as agents of development and integration within communities.
Our students leave with a deep awareness of the role played by the built environment in bringing about social, political, cultural and technological change, and our alumni have gone on to blaze trails across the landscape of design and urban planning, as well as a wide range of other careers.
Detailed information on the various courses offered can be found by following the links below.
The ARB/RIBA accredited courses offered are:
Full time research degrees offered are:
Part-time degrees offered for working professionals:
Cambridge also offers a PhD in Architecture. This research degree offers the opportunity for independent research under the supervision of a departmental member of staff. Unless the candidate is part of a research group, the research is undertaken entirely by the candidate on their own, with regular supervisions on progress with their supervisor.
1 Scroope Terrace
Cambridge, GB , CB2 1PX