Pag, HR | Brighton, GB
Kazimierz Dolny & Janowiec nad Wisla, Poland
Welcome to Kazimierz Dolny, a small town in the middle of Poland but with big ambitions. The town is situated on the Lublin plateau and lies on the right bank of the river Vistula.
Because of its stunning location, rich history, scenic medieval houses, wonderful architecture and kind climate, Kazimierz is known not only in Poland but also abroad especially as a host of several major festivals:
- May Music Festival (since 2007)
- National Festival of Folk Bands and Singers and Folk Art Fair (since 1966) – last weekend of June
- Festival of Klezmer Music and Tradition (since 2006) – every July
- Film and Art Festival Two Riversides (since 1995) www.dwabrzegi.pl - – organized every August
- Summer Music Evenings (since 1981) – every Saturday throughout July and August
- Vistula Days (since 1999)
- Autumn Festival (since 1999)
To accompany such a number of festivals happening here every year Quixotic Architecture proposed an avant-grade enlightening mobile event that drifts above the town and the river Vistula in the form of a net of glowing hot air balloons, each equipped with floodlights creating a spectacle on its own during an opening and closing ceremonies, embracing cultural events below.
In order to create a ‘futuristic reality’ elsewhere this enterprise is intended to move on to different festival hosting towns in Poland and abroad.
The market square in Kazimierz Dolny is one of the most attractive in Poland and is designed as a theatre stage set: compromising of 39 nests of floodlights located at all-around town houses plus 5 projectors to create endless enlightening compositions as a temporary and unobtrusive form of invasion still pushing of the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm primarily in the cultural realm.
Status: Under Construction
Location: Kazimierz Dolny, PL
My Role: Architect, Event Designer