RESUME FOR ROGER CLAAR, ARCHITECT___________
I’m actively seeking a position as a Senior Project Architect allowing me to use my creative and management architectural skills to lend my expertise to a dynamic organization looking to grow.
Industry: Architecture Job Title: Senior Project Architect
Visa Status: U.S. Citizen Looking For: Permanent Full-Time
Relocation: Yes Education Level: 5-Year Bachelor of Architecture & Design
The following projects were performed while on staff as Project Architect with ACI/Boland, Inc, based in Kansas City from September of 2002 to present.
Clarinda Regional Medical Center, Clarinda, Iowa
• Served as Design Architect for the exterior of this new 65,000 SF Hospital and attached Medical Office Building.
Van Horn High School, Independence, MO - New Entrance & Administrative Offices
• Provided Exterior Design.
Washington County Hospital & Attached Medical Office Building, Plymouth, NC
• Served as Design and Project Architect for this new 35,000 SF attached 15,000 SF Medical Office Building.
Kellybrook Elementary School, Liberty, MO
• Served as Design and Project Architect for this new 76,000 SF elementary school.
Park Hill District Stadium Press Box, KCMO
• Served as Design and Project Architect for this new two-story Press Box. Project scope included a new track and synthetic football surface.
Atchison Hospital, Atchison, KS
• Served as Design Architect for the exterior of this new 36,000 SF Hospital.
Salina Regional Health Center Expansion
• Served as Design Architect for the exterior of this 5-story expansion.
Bothwell RHC Warsaw Clinic, Warsaw, MO
• Served as Design Architect for the exterior of this new 36,000 SF Hospital.
Lawrence Memorial Hospital – East Tower, Surgical Wing & Med. Office Bldg.
• Served as Design Architect for the exterior of this new $35 million expansion.
Saint Luke’s Hospital – Wornall, New Central Plant, KCMO
• Served on design team for the exterior design and detailing.
Saint Francis Medical Center – Bed Tower, Grand Island, NE
• Served as Design and Project Architect for the exterior of this New 9-story, 244,000 SF patient tower, which doubled the size of the existing 1-story campus. Design included a 7-story abstract aluminum sculpture above the main entrance.
North Kansas City Hospital – Pavilion Parking Structure Expansion, KCMO
• Served as Design and Project Architect this 500 car expansion.
Truman Medical Center/Lakewood Campus - Expansion, KCMO
• Served as Design and Project Architect for the exterior of this $ 35 million dollar expansion.
Truman Medical Center – Hospital Hill – Parking Structure Expansion, KCMO
• Served as Design and Project Architect for the 800 car expansion of existing parking structure which I had designed while on staff Black and Veatch Architects.
Olathe Medical Center – New Parking Structure, Olathe, KS
• Served as Design and Project Architect for new 3000 car parking structure.
The following two projects were performed while on staff as a Senior Project Architect/ Design Architect with Ellerbe Becket’s Sports Architecture Group, based in Kansas City from February of 1997 through August of 2002.
Seahawks Stadium & Exhibition Center
• Served as Senior Project Architect on these new projects, over the course of five years, starting with the design development phase. This was a two phase project, starting with the design and construction of the exhibition center and parking structure. Then the Kingdome was imploded and construction began on the stadium. My participation included close out of the Construction Administration Phase and opening of the Stadium. The Stadium is designed to accommodate 72,000 seats. There are 7,700 Club seats expandable to 10,000. There are 120 suites, 12 of which are in the north end zone at the field level, for 12 “red zone” suites. The 720-foot roof span covers 70 percent of the seats, while still allowing for a dramatic open view to the downtown skyline. A grand stair connects a new public plaza to the stadium and forms the base of the North Tower. The tower icon features a unique configuration of two vertically stacked LED video boards with limited high definition capabilities. The exhibition center consists of 325,000 square feet of exhibition space with an additional 80,000 adjoining square feet in the stadium for flat shows, pre and post-game events as well as a 2,000 car parking garage.
Hae Song Plaza - Inch’on, Korea
• Served as Senior Project Architect on the hotel portion of the project. Hae Song Plaza is comprised of a 40-story office building, a five-star 550-room hotel, a shopping center and underground parking in a prominent location to Inch’on Harbor and the new Inch’on International Airport. Topping the office tower is a magnificent restaurant and lounge commanding breathtaking views to the city and harbor. The design completion date was 2001. The size is 285,000 square meters. The design was by Ellerbe Becket and the construction documents were by a Korean firm.
ARC Architecture by Roger Claar___________________________________________
The following projects were performed as a sole-proprietor architect January of 1994 through February of 1997.
Black Culture Center, for the University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri.
• ARC served as design architect for this 1.5 million dollar, facility in association with Watson Groves, Associates.
Prairie Star Middle School, Blue Valley School District.
• ARC is serving as the Replacement Architect, providing Construction Observation Services, for this 124,600 SF, 8.1 million dollar project.
Expansion and Remodel of Gardner Elementary School, Gardner, Edgerton, Antioch School District, Gardner, Kansas.
• ARC provided project design and construction document assistance to the Hollis & Miller Group, for 15,000 square foot expansion facility. The project also included complete remodeling of existing office and classroom areas. Services were provided on a contract basis.
Site Improvements, Old Shawnee Town, Shawnee, Kansas.
• A new exposed aggregate perimeter sidewalk system with ADA accessible entries into eighteen separate buildings is provided by this project.
Site Study for New Restaurant, Bank IV, Olathe, Kansas.
• Site study provides complete concept layout of undeveloped site for purposes of marketing site to restaurant concerns.
Reroofing Projects for Blue Valley School District.
• Project consists of the reroofing of five school district facilities including the District Office and two high schools.
Site Study for New Branch Bank, Commerce Bank, Olathe, Kansas.
• Study serves as a step towards replatting the property in question towards the development of a new five-lane branch bank facility.
Misc. Renovation Projects for Blue Valley School District.
Project consists of miscellaneous improvements to the following nine school district facilities:
a. Blue Valley High f. Mission Trail Elementary
b. Blue Valley North High g. Oak Hill Elementary
c. Cottonwood Point Elementary h. Tomahawk Ridge Elementary
d. Harmony Middle i. Valley Park Elementary
e. Heartland Elementary
Classroom Addition, LaCygne United Methodist Church, LaCygne, Kansas
• Two story, 3500 square foot addition to existing facility adds eight classrooms, toilets, elevator and storage.
Dealer Services Relocation Project, Mercantile Bank, Kansas City, Missouri
• New offices, conference rooms, and a break and work room, within a total of 10,000 square feet of remodeled space was provided at an existing branch bank facility. Construction was scheduled to allow normal operation of banking services to continue uninterrupted.
Steeple Addition, Shawnee United Methodist Church, Shawnee, Kansas
• An open frame 45 foot tall steeple sculpture, fabricated of prefinished aluminum was designed to recall the pattern on the existing copper spire. The steeple sculpture addition is designed to sit atop an existing 52 foot tall stone tower. Indirect lighting is designed for dramatic night time effect.
ADA Audit of Raytown C2 School District, Raytown, Missouri
• This project provides ADA The Americans with Disabilities Act, Audits for twenty facilities for Raytown C2. Included in the Audit are administration areas, a stadium, elementary, middle, high schools and votechs.
Elevator and Toilet Addition, Shawnee United Methodist Church, Shawnee, Kansas.
• Provided 3 - story ADA compliant elevator and added ADA compliant toilet facility at existing church complex.
ADA Improvements to City Toilets, City of Shawnee, Shawnee, Kansas.
• ADA improvements were designed for toilets facilities at the: Fire Department, Police Department, and the Shawnee Civic Centre.
Site Improvements Study, Bank IV, Leawood, Kansas.
• Site circulation studies were performed to provide a recommended location for a stand alone ATM location.
New Gardner Elementary School, Gardner, Edgerton, Antioch School District, Gardner, Kansas.
• ARC provided project design and construction document assistance to the Hollis & Miller Group, for this new 52,000 square foot facility. Services were provided on a contract basis.
The following projects were designed while on staff as a Project Architect with Black and Veatch Architects.
SHAWNEE CIVIC CENTRE - Design Architect
This $2 million, 25,000 square foot civic center in Shawnee, Kansas, provides a 500-person capacity multipurpose area with adjacent kitchen, dining, storage, seniors activity area with walkout patio, aerobics area, lockers/showers, all on the lower level; offices, meeting rooms, youth activity area, mezzanine overlooking the multipurpose space, kitchenette, toilets, storage, and 85-seat little theatre, all on the upper level. Interior features include banded brick, burnished block patterns, cherry wood trim, vaulted skylighted corridors, carpet patterns and custom light coves. (Design Award of Merit, AIA/Kansas City - 1992)
TRUMAN MEDICAL CENTER PARKING GARAGE - Project Architect
The parking garage is a 4-level 800-car structure designed for a future 5th level, to be used by staff and employees. Also included in the project is an overhead bridge connection to the hospital that will cross Charlotte Street. The design includes compliance with ADA requirements and has a total of three points for entering or exiting.
KANSAS UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER PARKING GARAGE -
A 500-car parking facility at the University of Kansas Medical Center for the State of Kansas.
COMMERCE BANK, COUNTRY CLUB PLAZA - Design Architect
This one-story branch banking facility features an outside brick plaza area with benches and fountain. The facility includes six drive - through lanes with one remote drive-up ATM (a second ATM is included in the master plan). In keeping with the Spanish theme of the Country Club Plaza, the exterior is of stucco with glazed Spanish-tile roof and features a stylized frame which recalls the traditional Plaza dome. The interior features a quarry tile lobby and vaulted lobby/office ceiling. The drive-through canopy recalls the vaulted look. Included in the project is a parking lot with Santa Anna lighting fixtures and custom illuminated entrance and exit parking lot signage. Project was a recipient of a 1993 First Place Commercial Lighting Award.
COMMERCE BANK, RAYTOWN - Design Architect
One-story branch banking facility for Commerce Bank, with walk-in lobby featuring terrazzo flooring and marble accents with cherry wood trim. Walls, patterns and finishes create the illusion of granite panels. Five drive-through lanes are provided with remote drive-up ATM.
SOUTHEAST HIGH SCHOOL EXPANSION/RENOVATION - Design Architect
This $6 million high school expansion in Kansas City, Missouri, adds 20,000 square feet and renovates the majority of the existing 400,000 square foot ornamental brick and stone facility. Unique original interior features were honored in renovated/expanded areas. Provisions are made for new Medical and Foreign Language magnet programs.
ST. THOMAS AQUINAS CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL - Design Architect
Provided design of the commons area for this private school in Overland Park, Kansas; features include arched portals, balconies and cove lights accents.
NORTH KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI SCHOOLS - Design Architect
A feasibility study for remodeling and additions to North Kansas City, Missouri schools and a new track design for North Kansas City, Missouri High School.
GREENWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ADDITION - Design Architect
MUNCIE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ADDITION - Design Architect
Kansas City, Kansas
STILWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ADDITION - Design Architect
WOODSONIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ADDITION - Design Architect
Bonner Springs, Kansas
THE EMPIRE DISTRICT ELECTRIC COMPANY - Design Architect
This Corporate Headquarters facility in Joplin, Missouri added a 41,900 square foot expansion to the utility’s existing 29,000 square foot facility and entails complete renovation of the existing structure. The interior expansion features a 4-story skylighted glass atrium with balconies and custom light sconces. An adjacent two-level parking garage with a 160 car-capacity, constructed of precast concrete with brick infill, includes many of the same design elements as the new headquarters building.
CORPORATE WOODS BUILDING NO. 32 - Project Architect
This prominent 216,000 square foot office building features a radiused green reflective glass curtain wall with stair stepped overhangs and polished chrome trim. Curved entrance lobby surfaces feature polished and flamed marble and granite wall and floor patterns, cove lights and planters. The curved exterior walls provide vistas of the 492 acre office park.
CORPORATE WOODS BUILDING NO. 9 - Project Architect
This six story office building contains 105,000 square feet. It is nestled into a stand of mature trees which influenced the plan shape. Entrance lobby features a dynamic 180 degree fabric weaving which is fully reflected on the polished chrome ceiling for a 360 degree look. Lobby materials include marble, granite and accent lighting. The gently curving exterior walls are sheathed in a high performance emerald green glass curtain wall which provides exciting vistas in all directions.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA REGIONAL OFFICE - Design Architect
Regional office facility for The Boy Scouts of America, with vaulted entry opens onto a photo art gallery which extends from main entry through the building and terminates in a panoramic view of adjacent woodlands.
PARK CENTRAL PLAZA (Formally BRUSH CREEK REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT) - Design Architect
A $200 million mixed use development of 2,000,000 square feet including retail, residential, and health club facilities located in the Country Club Plaza area of Kansas City, Missouri. Phase I included an 8-story office building with 3-level underground parking garage and a 3-story office building. Building interiors feature marble, granite and brass accents.
UNIVERSAL UNDERWRITERS BUILDING EXPANSION - Design Architect
This 30,000 square foot office building expansion is a 3-story wing with executive carport at the first floor level within the building overhang. The expansion is situated immediately adjacent to a scenic lake and fountain. Multi-story connecting lobby/atrium showcases lake view.
BARNEY’S CAFE - Design Architect
This is a new facility designed to work around the existing plaza. Built beneath an existing pergola, this two level Cafe has a total of 2,625 square feet. Interior design features primarily black and rose colors and include sculpted ceiling, etched glass and neon.
Kansas State University, Bachelor of Architecture and Design; 1974
Registered Architect: Kansas: 2169 and Missouri: AR 004149.
Formed - ARC Architecture by Roger Claar - a Sole-Proprietorship; 1993.