Three Grade II listed buildings in St Giles St., Oxford have been refurbished as part of works to create a new quadrangle for St Johns College. Mid-20th Century extensions and buildings were removed and the remaining buildings repaired and restored. There are four main components to this project: 1 - revitalisation of an historic streetscape, 2 - the refurbishment of two of Oxfords finest houses : the Black Hall (1670s) and No 20 St Giles (1820s), 3 - the careful reconstruction of the 1673 staircase in Black Hall, 4 - the restoration of The Barn as a display and performance space, accessible to the college community and the public.
“The contribution this project makes to St Giles is outstanding, enlivening a large part of the eastern side of the street” Oxford Preservation Trust Plaque Award 2008
Location: Oxford, GB