Master of Design in Interior Studies (Adaptive Reuse) at the Interior Architecture Department at Rhode Island School of Design, RI, USA, and Bachelor of Civil Engineering at University of Kerala, Kerala, India.
With a Civil Engineering background, traditional architectural experience and a Master's in Interior Architecture (Adaptive Reuse), I wish to advance my understanding of architecture through complex design solutions utilizing my strong interests in art, traditional architecture, and energies that bring physical and psychological benefits to man.
LDL Studio. Inc, Providence, RI, US, Designer
- Determined the requirements of the clients, reviewed Property Improvement Plan and general scope of work.
- Scheduled and attended site visits to measure and photograph spaces.
- Reviewed existing Architectural drawing set or if unavailable, created a complete set digitally from site measurements and photographs of the existing space.
- Organized group discussions with the design team to discuss space planning, layout, FF&E utilization, and color schemes.
- Sketched preliminary design plans from the sketches of the Principal and Senior Designers to digital and CAD files.
- Arranged material research, library update, and frequent discussions with Sales Representatives for update and specifications of Interior Design, Architectural and Construction Materials to confirm code compliance, availability, and lead times.
- Ordered and put away samples based on current availability, and mailed samples to clients.
- Created and presented preliminary design concepts and design renderings using detailed color boards and table-top presentations.
- Prepared Schematic Design set, Design Development set and Construction Documents set.
- Created timeline to coordinate drawing sets to be received from Civil, Structural and MEP Engineers, and Code Consultants.
- Assisted the Senior Interior Designer to prepare furniture, electric, and material specification folders.
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), Providence, RI, US, Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Assisted the faculty member in the Interior Architecture department of RISD (Codes and Details, and Theory of Adaptive Reuse)
- Course administration, research, development and presentation of instructional materials, library materials/videos
- Preparation of handouts
- Archiving course information
Mar Silver Inc., Westport, CT, US, Design Assistant
- Design schemes and Design drafting
- Material selection, proposals, and purchase orders
- Material library organization
- Prepared client presentations
BuildAur, Auroville, Architectural Trainee
- Conceptual design development for residential, commercial, and extension work
- Design refinement based on client expectations, deadlines, and allotted budget
- Preparation of architectural designs and construction drawings, and site supervision
- Preparation of bill of quantities (estimates)
- Architectural documentation and photography
- Digital image editing work for design presentations
- Project files organization, office staff coordination, scheduling and orientation of new trainees
Projects and responsibilities:
• Village programme, Gujarat, India: Installed a village architectural studio as part of a team in Dhrafa, Gujarat, India for exploration of art, architecture, society, and tradition in rural India.
• The living heritage proposal: Documentation and reconnaissance for the heritage development proposal of old Jamnagar railway station, Jamnagar, Gujarat, India.
• Traditional architectural design: Developed compound wall and entrance gate designs for the new temple in Dhrafa village following traditional architectural design.
• Other: Designed local projects; worked on digital image editing for presentation templates of the village programme; designed concept for souvenir and guidebook of the studio.
• Swayam housing community, Auroville, India: Site supervision; working drawings; detail drawings; site experience in rammed earth walls, exposed concrete, perforated mud walls, terracotta pot roof slabs, terracotta tube vaults, jack arch roofs (hollow bricks), colour oxide plaster, and lime plaster.
• Residence extension project, Auroville, India: Followed traditional architecture and recycled methods of construction for design; site supervision; primary responsibility of on-site decision making; working drawings; detail drawings.
• Residential design with Vaastu Shastra, Gujarat, India: Developed design and conceptual drawings.
• Residence and Studio design, Tamil Nadu, India: Site supervision; architectural drawings; on-site rammed earth workshop.
• The Courtyard, Auroville, India: Worked on the conversion of an unused courtyard space of an exhibition gallery building into an Art cafe, by adaptive reuse.
• Land improvements and Pavement design: Developed terracotta bricks/blocks pattern, for pedestrian and vehicular movement and parking for the Indian Pavilion of Auroville, India. Similar projects completed for Word Foundation, Registered Public Charitable Trust, Mudaliarkuppam, Tamil Nadu, India.
• Disaster management, Auroville, India: Worked on damage assessment survey for repair and estimate of losses and funds required due to the Cyclone Thane that hit Auroville on December 30, 2011.
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), Providence, RI, US, Masters, M.Des in Interior Studies (Adaptive Reuse)
• Retrieving the Unseen, Defining Identity and Place, Jamestown, RI, USA: Design Master’s thesis on enhancing the historic experience of a coastal artillery to fill its community needs and to pay tribute to the US Coastal Defenses that prepared, manned, and waited for a battle that never came.
• Accessing the Present, Framing the Future, Rocky Point Park, Warwick, RI, USA: Design of an abandoned amusement park into a waterfront park (Entrance, parking, path, and shelter) with a challenge of developing it into an experience close to the character of the park.
• Mind games, Teste block redevelopment, Providence, RI, USA: Designing a chess club for the public space of a historic building based on the experience of the game of chess.
• RISD 2nd Life, Design and fabrication of retail store, RI, USA: Designed and fabricated storage for RISD 2nd Life’s ever-changing inventory. The largest re-design of a retail location by a RISD class to date.
University Of Kerala, Kerala, India, Bachelors, Civil Engineering
• Seminar: Vaastu Shastra in Modern Construction
• Project: Slum Improvement in Pullikada, Kollam