Gruzen Samton, Alexandria, VA, US, Associate Interior Designer
Worked in groups of two or three to complete renovation projects for government clients. Work included space planning, design development, construction documents and construction administration.
• Assisted with the feasibility study for a multi-year, multi-phased construction and renovation project in the Adult Holding Facility at the District of Columbia Courts campus. Prepared a programming report, conducted site verification surveys, presented space plans and design concepts and identified problems that would meet immediate need and allow for future growth.
• Created construction documents using AutoCAD for the long term, phased renovation of each floor of a 140,000 square foot facility at the National Institutes of Health National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease in Bethesda, MD. Assisted clients in the design, furniture specification, use and procurement of demountable partitions and systems furniture as well as in preparation of construction documents, construction administration and move planning.
• Coordinated interior finish selection and specification, and produced millwork design details in the construction documents for four courtroom renovations at Jennings Judicial Center. New courtroom procedures, ADA standards and technology upgrades were addressed.
• Compiled construction document sets for permit and bid for a fast paced renovation project at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Exceeded deadline expectations by accelerating permits via the walk-thru process at the Alexandria Permit Office.
• Lead coordinator for way finding and signage at District of Columbia Courts. Oversaw the maintenance of up to date plans and inventory of equipment. Established schedules for planning, review, and installation of multiple simultaneous signs projects. Collaborated with manufacturers to ensure on-time delivery. Evaluated budgets and acted as liaison between client, manufacturers and installers.
Interplan Inc., Washington, DC, US, Interior Designer
Worked in groups of two or three to complete renovation projects for commercial clients. Work included coordinating client meetings, site surveying, space planning, design development, construction documents and construction administration.
• Organized and compiled information and graphic materials to include in the construction document sets for T-Mobile retail stores World-wide. Performed site surveys, presented space plans for approval, and completed construction documents.
• Project designer for 23,000 square foot upscale tenant fit-out for RSM McGladrey accounting firm in Tysons Corner, VA. Led site survey and verification, completed space plans and detailed construction documents with AutoCAD, coordinated finishes and equipment with vendors, reviewed technical and millwork shop drawings, participated in punch list follow up, and assisted with post occupancy evaluations.
• Led site survey, completed construction documents, and assisted with construction administration for 4,000 square foot renovation at VanGrack, Axelson & Williamsosky law firm in Rockville, MD.
• Compiled custom interior details and exterior elevations for construction documents for the 2,500 square foot tenant fit-out at Jouvence Aveda salon in Rockville, MD.
Interplan Inc., Washington, DC, US, Intern
Work included supporting project teams with site surveying, preparing construction documents and as-builts, computer imaging, presentation boards, and managing the architecture library.
• Performed site survey and compiled construction documents for permit and bid for ESC, Inc., a 10,000 square foot information technology service company in Chantilly,VA.
• Advised clients on finish selection, detailed construction documents, and construction administration for a 2,000 square foot tenant fit-out at Ajilon Professional Staffing in Rockville, MD.
• Drafted interior millwork and a custom exterior ADA ramp for Rockville Economic Development, Inc. in the 1,800 square foot renovation.
The George Washington University, Washington, DC, US, Masters, Interior Design
Yale University, New Haven, CT, US, Bachelors, Architecture