(Hyung) Jin Kim
1-312-806-5123 / email@example.com
Jin is authorized to work in the States for any employer.
Highly creative, accomplished Graphic Designer with intuitive and insightful
design strategies, leveraging deep understanding of underlying design principles
across multiple media (from printed matters, branding, and interactive media
to environmental systems for architectural spaces).
He focuses on the conceptual and contentdriven approach to visual form for
the integral identity systems ranging from print, online to space.
Areas of Expertise include:
Branding & Identities
Print Collateral Systems
Visual Web & UI Design
Teague, Seattle, WA, US, Senior visual communication designer
Designed Boeing customer experience center environmental graphics, signage, and way finding systems.
Interbrand, 2x4, WhyNotSmile, New York, NY, US, Freelance Senior Graphic Designer
Designed and developed a font family, and brand identities, visual identity systems
MTWTF, New York, NY, US, Graphic Designer
Developed client-specific designs, including identities / logos, posters, and book typographic systems for such clients as Columbia University GSAPP, SS Press, and a variety of independent artists. Instrumental in conceptualization and presentation of winning designs and design strategies, with a focus on design frameworks and systems.
○ Designed the typographical system for a book (Studio-X) later featured in Domus magazine and selected for the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) 2011 “365: Design Effectiveness” honor.
15sec Studio, Seoul, KR, Creative Director
Established freelance design consultancy, managing client acquisition,
engagement, and delivery, and coordinating projects from concept
prototyping through completion. Designed a variety of media; typographic
systems, identities, books and interactive media, as well as collaborated
with professionals in other disciplines. Managed all operational, strategic,
and financial functions related to business administration.
○ Won high-profile clients, including the Business Cooperation Foundation, Ewha Women’s University, and Kyeonggi Broadcasting Station; developed websites, identities, graphics, posters, and printed materials.
○ Authored an article on new designers for the monthly magazine, DesignNet.
○ Developed the official Website of Ewha Women’s Univ. Grad School of Management.
Samsung Electronics (Samsung Design Membership), Seoul, KR, Researcher
Performed research within the Visual Communication Design Division,
informing development of a corporate-sponsored design group to provide
designers the freedom to create while facilitating brand-specific design
and development. In collaboration with product developers / designers,
and UI specialists.
○ Researched and proposed a graphic user interface, user scenario, and advertisements for next generation mobile products.
YoonDesign Inc., Seoul, KR, Senior Typeface Designer
Designed fonts and typefaces for use in print and digital media, designing fonts for both Korean and English alphabetic characters.
○ Designed a brand strategy and identity for prominent Korean celebrities, as well as fonts to match the celebrities’ handwriting.
○ Published a book, An Illiterate Child, providing critical analysis of typography, informed by 6-month tenure teaching cultural aspects of design to 40+ students from 4 universities; interviewed about the book’s publication by the largest online design magazine in Korea, DesignJungle.
○ Authored a column on public designs for the daily newspaper, DongA Ilbo, the largest newspaper in Korea.
○ Created designs for mobile products of manufacturers such as LG and Samsung.
Mines Inc., Seoul, KR, UX Designer
Designed websites, GUI for digital devices, branding, and identities for corporate clients.
○ Mentored software and Web developers in best-practice principles of UI design.
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL, US, Masters, Visual Communication Design
Thesis: Environmental design programs that result in site transformations
(experiential urban communications) and site activations.
Recipient, Merit Scholarship 2010-2011, Student Leadership 2011;
Participant, 2 Gallery Exhibitions
Hanyang University, Ansan, KR, Bachelors, Graphic Design
Focusing on Typography for both printed matters and large-scale
environmental graphics that link the identity and signage system, and is integral
to the architecture, the comprehensive wayfinding system, and digital displays.
Recipient, Merit Scholarship for 3 years; Participant, 3 Gallery Exhibitions; Created the Typography Study Group
"365: Design Effectiveness" honor, 2011
American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA), USA
7th Korea Designer Self Promotion Competition, 1st Place
7th Korea Designer Self Promotion Competition