After completing his B.S. of Architecture and Masters in Architecture from University of Idaho in 2009 and 2010 respectively, Tyler went on to serve as the National President and Chairman of the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS) in DC, as well as serve the AIA National Board. These opportunities allowed Tyler to develop his leadership and business management skills, a particular interest of his in the architecture profession. Prior to joining Wiencek + Associates in 2012, Tyler’s design experience included 2 years working at an award winning firm in his native Las Vegas, NV completing sustainable LEED community, civic, and education projects.
Tyler has 4 years of collective design + leadership experience, working in both new construction and renovation of many project types including: multi-family residential, civic, K-12, and commercial. He is also a technology specialist/enthusiast with additional undergraduate studies background in computer science, programming, and logic. He has built his own computer, is the designer of his personal website, and self-taught in many programs including Autodesk Revit.
VOA Associates Incorporated, Washington, DC, US, Architect
• Lead production of SD, DD, and CD phase drawings for new construction multifamily residential project.
• Manged CA and punchlist items for completed 12 story downtown DC office building following Class A conversion renovation and building re-positioning with LEED certification.
• Responsible for full apartment unit design of 150 units in 11 story building.
• Lead schematic design & research efforts for 5 block adaptive reuse urban center in historic northeast city.
• Coordination of consultant teams for MEP, Civil, and other design disciplines.
• Leading client progress meetings with design team.
• Production work in Revit, Adobe Suite, MS Office, and Bluebeam software.
Wiencek + Associates, Architects + Planners, Gaithersburg, MD, US, Architectural Designer
• Produced SD, DD, and CD phase drawings for multiple affordable/low-income multi-family residential projects, both new construction and renovation.
• Utilized CAD and Revit software to deliver drawing packages by and in advance of client deadlines.
• Performed construction administration support tasks for multiple commercial and multifamily projects including shop drawing review, submittal review/response, architectural sketches, and addendum drawings.
• Coordinated renovation project efforts with MEP consultants, product manufacturers, and client for 12 story high-rise apartment renovation project.
• Performed multiple existing building surveys for renovation projects including exterior architectural surveys and interior conditional & dimensional surveys.
• Led out of office charitable design efforts for Architectural Miniature Golf and CANstruction at the National Building Museum.
American Institute of Architecture Students, Washington, President & Chairman of the National Board
• Led and managed 55 year old $1.6 MM 501(c)3 professional organization, AIAS Inc.
• Managed and supervised staff and consultants of up to 12 in both office setting and on job sites.
• Represented 47,000 emerging architecture students throughout country and 7,000 members at 140 institutions.
• Directed policy, education, and business development initiatives related to the built environment.
• Directed organization to first net fiscal gain after five years of financial loss/debt.
• Led professional organization, AIAS, through executive transition & search process.
• Developed new organizational business models for restructuring of AIAS.
SH Architecture, Las Vegas, NV, US, Architectural Design Associate
• Utilized Autodesk, Adobe, & SketchUp softwares to produce SD, DD, & CD phase drawings for SH Architecture.
• Drafted construction documents for Ruby Duncan Elementary School including occupancy and life safety code compliance plans, finish plans, and details.
• Performed client needs assessment and programming services for City of Henderson Detention / Corrections Center.
University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, US, MArch, Architecture
• Accelerated completion of 45 credit 2 year degree program in 1 year
• Completed 8 week study abroad program in Rome, Italy
• Master's Thesis Design Project :: Master Planning + Prototype Design for Las Vegas Light Rail Transportation System and Multi-modal Transit Center
University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, US, BArch, Architecture
Major - Architecture
Minor - Business
HKS Design Fellow, Other
Selected by application to participate in 72 hour design charette in the Washington, DC office of HKS. Worked on a design team of 4 to complete schematic / conceptual design for adaptive reuse of the historic Washington Colosseum, aka U-Line Arena, in the developing NoMa District of DC.
AIA Richard Upjohn Fellow, Award
Awarded for exceptional service to the AIA National Board after serving as the National Student Director, 2011.
AIA Henry Adams Medal, Award
Columbia Paint Scholarship, Scholarship
Scholarship award based on portfolio + design merit.