Thompson Nguyen is a third year Canadian architecture student with an proactive and diligent attitude towards every task at hand. Raised in the Toronto suburbs, he has lived and studied at the Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism at Carleton University in Ottawa and amongst the top students in his class, he has been selected for the study abroad program and will be in Istanbul, Turkey in February 2012. Along with a strong academic record, Thompson is known within his student body as an advocate for change, a lively studio culture and an active dialogue between students and faculty on the shaping of the pedagogy and curriculum at Carleton. In the past fall semester as the Vice President of the Azrieli Architecture Students' Association (AASA) he has been involved in the implementation of a weekly professors exhibition lecture series, the founding and maintenance of a student-run blog, the planning and production of all student run meeting presenting AASA's report regarding issues brought up by a recent accreditation team visit, as well as the promotion and planning of a large scale annual event hosted by the architecture students that worked within a $20 000 budget.
Thompson continues to be an active member of student associations outside of the Azrieli School of Architecture as an executive member of Makeshift22 - an interdisciplinary projects group, as well as a representative for Carleton on the Canadian Architecture Students Association (CASA), which has also connected with the American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS) last Forum 2010 in Toronto. He has extended his involvement to the professional realm by volunteering at events held by the Ottawa Regional Society of Architects (ORSA) and hopes to further expand his network to various other associations all over Canada as well as Europe and the United States. Thompson hopes to develop his professional experience in a firm for his upcoming Spring Co-op terms.
ACE Services Group Inc., Mississauga, ON, CA, Graphic Designer
• Demonstrated the proper implementation and design of the company website, including managing the webserver and utilizing secure connection protocols
• Applies knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, HTML/CSS to the design of webpages, brochures and portfolio packages
Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, CA, BArch, Bachelor of Architectural Studies
• 3rd year standing at Carleton University, Ottawa, ON
• CGPA of 10.15/12; A, expected to graduate April 2014
• Selected to attend a semester abroad at Istanbul Technical University in Turkey [in 02/12]
• Recipient of the President’s Scholarship [09/10], Claire Bissell Scholarship [10/11], MacOdrum Scholarship [11/12], Dean’s Honour List [09/10],