Vice President : Design - Development - Planning - Management
Accomplished building industry professional with a mastery for design, management, finance and implementation of large-scale, domestic and international projects. Innovative, creative and passionate leader with vast experience directing multi-disciplinary teams, elevating profitability, visibility and performance of building-industry organizations from architecture, design and construction to development and finance. Expert at insightfully bridging end user, project team and management needs, growing revenues and maximizing the results of projects and processes.
LABRUM R.E.D.D., New York, NY and Del Mar, CA, Owner/Founder
Real-estate development, commercial building design and construction industry consulting company, offering comprehensive professional services to owners, developers and contractors.
Responsible for the development and execution of building and new-construction projects of all scopes and scales. Successfully sourced all contracts independently, completing multiple projects nationally and internationally, ranging from basic support services to full design, development, construction and company management.
• Built teams specifically to execute all tasks on-time and under budget, improving profitability in all project aspects
• Developed strong client relationships which have lead to additional, repeat-business in nearly all instances
• Restructured struggling businesses within industry, dramatically improving efficiency and profitability
CARVART, New York, NY, US, Vice President of Design and Engineering - Head of Projects
Head of project management and the design/engineering departments. Successfully implemented new policies and procedures to streamline workflow, improving internal efficiencies and reducing overhead costs. Hired new employees, negotiated salaries, restructured operational deficiencies within the company.
• Drove design, engineering and management within the company to new levels of professionalism, implementing the forward-focused practices required to successfully execute sophisticated, high-complexity projects
• Created and implemented company policies and operational procedures from the ground-up to drive growth and sharpen company focus, resulting in decreases in overhead and consultant costs by over 50%
• Hired and trained new team members, diligently guiding their professional growth, increasing productivity by 75%
• Managed the development and implementation of project tools and documents, including contracts, budgets, forecasts, schedules, specifications and comprehensive project development plans
AMSOLAR, New York, NY, US, VP of Operations and System Design
Successfully lead large, multi-disciplinary teams on over $200M in capital projects, including land development and implementation of unique structures and energy systems. Effectively navigated projects through rigorous land use, zoning and permitting constraints. Spearheaded due diligence in professional advisory role to capital investors and lenders. As key member of startup group, was instrumental in strategic planning and operations, driving growth from fledgling to multi-million dollar company, leading to acquisition by Payom AG, a $71M publicly traded company.
• Achieved highest levels of client satisfaction through continuous delivery of on-time and on-budget projects, managing and directing all team functions and mitigating unknowns to reduce project costs by as much as 25%
• Created and implemented company policies and operational procedures from the ground-up, including a sophisticated lead-generation and filtering protocol to drive growth and sharpen company focus, resulting in decreases in overhead and consultant costs by over 50% and growth of project pipeline by more than 500%
• Hired and trained new team members, diligently guiding their professional growth, growing head-count by 300%
• Developed, implemented and managed project tools and documents, including contracts, budgets, projections, schedules, specifications and comprehensive project development plans
Envision Solar International/Tucker Sadler Architects, La Jolla, CA/San Diego, CA, Director of Architecture
Director of Architecture (Envision Solar International, Inc.)
Designed and deployed sustainable, modular building systems using cutting-edge materials and methods. Lead teams of highly-skilled architects, engineers and scientists in the development of ground-breaking technologies to address worldwide problems of housing, energy and sustainability. Traveled domestically and internationally to expand and instill the philosophies and methods of sustainability and “best practices” for the built environment.
• Designed and built multiple structures systems which have been granted U.S. patents, industry awards and accolades, such as the AIA Energy Integration Award and American Electronics Association Clean Tech Award
• Pioneered the use of “green” composites in lightweight, sustainable structural systems
• Devised advanced deployment methods to successfully overcome major obstacles involved in both the transport and construction in extreme environments and remote locations
• Headed internal team of architects, engineers and business staff, as well as project teams of over 100 members
Project Designer (Tucker Sadler Architects)
Spearheaded design, development and implementation of large-scale architectural and construction projects across the globe. Directed teams of over 100 architects, designers, engineers and consultants on high-complexity and high-visibility developments with a proven track record of leadership success. Originated and grew new Development Services division, expanding company offerings and broadening customer base.
• Personally secured new contracts by successfully managing many high-visibility client relationships, including the San Diego Convention Center Corporation, a public-private partnership responsible for over $1B in annual impact
• Recognized as one of the most trusted and reputable project leaders by demonstrating solid work ethics, broad team management skills, and strong talent for both innovative design and high attention to detail
• As a new hire, won internal design competition above the most senior and experienced architects and designers
• Was instrumental in driving diversification from a predominantly technical practice to a much broader design and development services group, growing company professional services by over 25%
Moon Mayoras Architects, San Diego, CA, US, Job Captain
Carried-out the design, detailing and team coordination efforts for hospital and medical campus projects. Developed and assembled full construction drawings sets on extremely complex building and system types subject to OSHPD and other highly-scrutinizing jurisdictional reviews. Ensured code compliance, as well as the proper integration and coordination of specialized medical equipment, complex MPE systems and specialized structural components.
• Was awarded senior responsibilities, including the leadership of multiple, high-profile hospital renovation projects in California and Arizona for clients such as Chandler Regional Medical Center and Eisenhower Medical Center
• With senior designer and project team, developed and built award-winning spaces, buildings and master-plans on nationally-recognized regional medical centers and hospitals of over $900M in total project costs
• Lead efforts to ensure code and building safety compliance for medical facilities offering full-service health and emergency care, as well as specialized treatments and equipment
• Lead teams to develop professional renderings, virtual-reality animations and presentations for high-end clients, helping secure contracts on multi-million dollar hospital and medical center developments
Whitley Consulting Group, Associate
Worked directly with clients on diverse projects to provide highest-quality design and construction support services, incorporating rigid adherence to industry standards and guidelines. Generated published architectural drawings and details to support the specific needs of manufacturers and building professionals. Developed cutting-edge, photo-realistic 3D renderings for architects, developers and interior designers while this technology was still in its infancy.
• Mastered the use of computer-aided drafting, digital modeling and computer graphics technology to develop designs, drawings and ideas, as well as create drawing standards for use in architectural and engineering offices
• Taught multiple, advanced courses in computer-aided drafting to students from various disciplines and industries
• Key player on a team selected to provide design proposals for the rebuilding of the World Trade Center in Manhattan, NY, providing influential concepts that helped guide many of the final planning decisions
University of California, San Diego, Post Professional: Urban Planning and Real Estate Development
Post-Professional Certification Program: Urban Planning and Real Estate Development
The University of Utah, BArch