Jongmin Kim 77 Maine ave, Staten Island NY 10314
Registered Architect in NY/ NJ, Certified Passive House Consultant, LEED AP
EDUCATION The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Art and Science
Bachelor of Architecture, 1996
Dow Corning Corp Aug. 2014 ~ Present
Sr. Façade Engineer Architectural Specialist / Business Developer
· Represents Dow Corning’s global building science team and its service to commercial real estate developers and architects in North American market with a project assistance in façade design and solution. Actively engaged with architects and engineers to collaborate a research in innovative technology with energy efficient building designs that can improve indoor air quality and thermal/moisture comfort. Establishes a networking with industry leaders in design and construction for an opportunity to develop new business.
· Oversees number of design details by architects and construction method by contractors, and advocate the high performance construction to entire project team, including the owner. Actively shares the news and trends with Dow Corning global marketing leaders for assisting their decision making. Being a liaison figure between architect/owner and industry scientist for influencing their focus in product development.
· Leads and participates in better building design research with internal and external industry leaders, and presents the paper at building science convention.
OLBN May. 2012 ~ Jul. 2014
Studio & Proj. Manager/Sr. Architect
- Led a small team of architect and property manager in a newly settled satellite office at New York City. Developed the residential and commercial architectural service that holistically integrated with property management service for owner. Business model was introduced to clients for minimizing the project time and liability.
- Managed the operational finance of NY office, and trained new staffs to focus on architecture details and fast track service by introducing simplified and goal-oriented architectural documents. He took ownership of all of New York office’s projects, and engaged with main office for enhancing the quality control.
- Oversaw all construction from design to sign off by providing architectural, zoning & building code analysis, bid assistance and construction administration. To shorten the project phase, expediting and inspection service were included by his lead.
- Sought and won opportunities in local projects, which resulted in the win of the Brooklyn Navy Yard project, BLDG 20 restoration. Design and construction administration were performed by his lead.
PERKINS EASTMAN Jan. 2007 ~ Apr. 2012
15 Union Square West, NY Project Manager/Construction Admin.
Luxury condominium tower with retails. 15usw.com
- Managed the small team to provide Construction Administration (CA) services for fast-track project. Trained and supervised junior members by granting CA roles and expose them to field experience. Planned team’s schedule for efficiency and multi tasking.
- Developed / produced the curtain wall system with designer, than took leadership on coordination with consultants and manufacturer for steady production. Proposed the architectural/ construction remedies to the General Contractor (GC) for errors and mismanagement by contractors during the construction. Reviewed and negotiated the additional service fee and scope per numerous change orders.
- Coordinated multi faceted tasks with interior designer, MEP engineers, marketing rep and owner. Conduct bi-weekly coordination meeting with consultants and GC to propose construction resolution for changes. Developed a trust with GC and owner in Construction Administration tasks by constant and honest communication.
Marrakech Club House, Marrakech, Morocco Project Architect
A private golf club house for luxury resort in Morocco.
- Assembled a team in short time and provided Construction Document in fast track method. Coordinate consultant and designer into a solid team for best result.
SKIDMORE OWINGS & MERRILL Apr.2006 ~ Jan. 2007
Lotte tower, Seoul, S. Korea Project Architect
550m tall super tower for mixed-use in Korea. (Project dismissed by owner)
- Managed the large team of architects and designers for a most complex and tallest tower design in the office history. Worked with many internal and external leaders for design coordination and production.
- Provided Design Document set in BIM system (Revit) for holistic coordination with structure, MEP and vertical transportation consultants.
- Trained and supervised young architects with basic knowledge as well as new technology in high performance building envelop and mechanical system.
CETRA/RUDDY Jan. 2005 ~ Apr. 2006
Tower 54, New York, NY Sir. Designer/ Project Architect
Mid rise condominium façade replacement & renovation
- Designed and developed the curtain wall system to retrofit the aged masonry façade of existing condominium. Most economic cladding system was selected by his leadership and coordinated with marketing reps, property manager and curtain wall consultant for layout the construction schedule.
- Conducted a meeting with GC and owner for refining the construction schedule and method so that the existing tenants can safely occupy in their units while the façade gets replaced from outside.
SWANKE HAYDEN CONNELL & PARTNERS Oct. 2001 ~ Jul. 2004
650 Madison Avenue, New York, NY Project Architect
Mid rise office building facade replacement and renovation project. (Project dismissed by owner)
- Coordinated with consultants and designers for optimizing the performance and construction of new building envelop system on existing tower. Perimeter mechanical system upgrade was overseen by his leadership. By coordinating the design agenda with GC and consultants, the design details and construction methods were able to lay out with team effort.
- Managed and reviewed the team’s schedule for fast track process.
United Jewish Appeal Head quarters, New York, NY Project Architect
Mid rise office building façade replacement (brick facade to glass/aluminum curtain wall) and renovation.
- Designed and coordinated the new building envelop system details with team and supervised team as a captain.
- Oversaw most of MEP system upgrading by coordinating team’s work closely. Coordinated with GC and consultants for construction methods and details.
Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn, NY Design Coordinator/Construction Admin.
New 14 story office building on top of shopping mall building.
- Participated from Schematic Design to issuing Construction Administration for fast track project. Worked closely with design team to introduce a curtain wall with terracotta panel and unitized aluminum mullion system, and coordinated exterior wall assembly with consultant.
- Led GC and manufacturer for constructing the new type of curtain wall for the first time. Careful shop drawing review and coordination were performed in earlier phase and then, routine field observation/ coordination with contractor were performed at construction site.
9 Metro Tech South, Brooklyn, NY Design Coordinator/ Construction Admin.
New 19 story office building (Blue Cross Blue Shield).
- Produced the Construction Document in series phases for fast track construction process. Construction Admin. tasks were performed while CD was prepared for shortening the schedule.
- Reviewed and coordinate the shop drawings with GC throughout the construction. Proposed a number of alternate construction means/methods to save the time and cost.
100 Center Street, New York, NY Design Coordinator/ Construction Admin.
Façade and roof restoration project for New York County Supreme Court building.
- Coordinated historic preservationists’ proposal and engineers’ survey to prepare a complete set of CD. Deterioration of façade and monumental of entrance were analyzed and restoration means & method were addressed on document.
- Instructed the GC and awarded sub contractor in construction details, and performed constant observation at job site for quick review/ approve procedure of their jobs.
GWATHMEY SIEGEL ASSOCIATES Jun. 1997 ~ Jan. 2001
Akron-Summit County Public Library, Akron, OH Construction Document
Renovation and expansion of existing library (134,000sf new and 100,000sf renovation).
- Worked on Schematic Design and Design Development.
Malibu Residence, Malibu, CA. Construction Document/ Construction Admin.
New high-end private resident.
- Involved in CD and Construction Admin. phase.
- Coordinate architecture details with GC for clarifications. Support GC with bidding session with supplemental information.
Saint Vincent Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York, N.Y. Construction Admin.
The largest cancer center in the Northeast (65,000sf).
- Played an active role in Construction Administration: change order review, shop drawing review, attend construction coordination meeting with GC and owner’s rep.
Successfully completed construction administration task in delayed schedule.
SKILLS AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, Photoshop, Microsoft office, Bilingual (Korean).
INTERESTS Real estate development, Weekend house renovation.