Sara Russell offers five years of experience in the design industry she has accomplished an accumulation of skills from model making, working on different computer programmes, fire safety and lighting layouts. Each of these different skills is a strategic and tactical part of the design industry, which proved that Sara has great team working skills as well as leadership skills.
Sara is a British citizen and attended Middlesex University in London England where she obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Interior Architecture and Design. While still at school Sara began her career working as a trainee interior designer at Ibi Design Associates where she learnt about British planning permission, residential renovation design and administration. After Sara had finished University she sort employment in the U.S. and was given the opportunity to work on a year J-1 visa for Perkins and Will at their Atlanta, Georgia office where she stepped up to Interior Designer level 1 and learnt a multitude of skills which include model making, fire safety, dealing manufacturing representatives, materials such as crypton which is used in healthcare, corporate interiors, K-12 and major construction.
Just before Sara finished working on her J-1 visa for Perkins and Will she had the opportunity to be one of the main designers on KSAU (a major construction programme in Saudi Arabia which was measured in metric). She had the chance to work on the project from the very beginning of the initial conceptual design process before her J-1 visa finished.
Throughout her career, Sara has had the opportunity to work in England as well as the U.S learning about the different design, planning processes and attitudes when it comes to the architectural design culture of these different countries. The scope of her experience has spanned almost all aspects of interior architecture and design, which has attributed to her current success in her profession.
Pro Bono, London, England / Atlanta, GA, Interior Designer
• Helped create initial proposals for presentations (mood boards).
• Advised clients on interior design factors such as space planning, layout and utilization of furnishings or equipment, and color coordination.
• Coordinated with other professionals, such as contractors, architects, engineers and to ensure job success.
• Rendered design ideas in form of paste-ups or drawings.
• Used computer-aided drafting (CAD) and related software to produce construction documents such as InDesign and SketchUp.
• Clerical — Gained knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records.
• Thinking Creatively — I was given the opportunity to develop, design and create new ideas which included artistic contributions.
• Making Decisions and Solving Problems — Analyzed information and evaluated results to choose the best solution to solve problems.
• Independence — I was given the opportunity to work on my own and make decisions, corresponding needs and creative responsibility.
Perkins+Will, Atlanta, GA, US, Interior Designer Level 1
• Used computer-aided drafting (CAD) and related software to produce construction documents. Designed large and small projects with Auto CAD 2005.
• Worked on different projects in the U.S. and abroad.
• Worked with different materials and fabrics researching which properties would be suitable for each project.
• Worked with different reps of different materials and fabrics
• Attended various Lunches and Breakfasts with different reps promoting their existing and new products.
• Gained ADA, CEU and Interior Design certificates as credits to classes
• Knowledge of FF&E
• Learned how to Work in a team of large and small proportions with different people from different sectors of the design field and in different offices within Perkins and Will
• Design — Gained knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
• Problem Sensitivity — I was given the task to see when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong with a drawing.
• Developed constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and have maintained them over time.
• Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — I provided information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by e-mail, or in person.
• Attention to Detail — I worked on jobs that required being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
Ibi Design Associates, London, GB, Trainee Interior Designer and Architect
• Designed on Auto Cad 2002 and 2004 new and remodeled homes, apartments, play centers and shops
• Dealt with different clients on large and small projects
• Learned how to be self motivated
• Gained excellent organizational skills
• Went on many site visits to check progress of the project, taking pictures and measurements
• Had many dealings with the British planning department for planning permission.
• Helped create initial proposals for presentations.
• Reviewed and detailed shop drawings for construction plans.
• Gained and developed knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings.
• Administration and Management — Developed knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning and coordination of people and resources.
• Communicated in person with people outside the organization, from customers to the local area council.
Makro Plc, London, England, Sales Associate
• Gained experience on handling pressure while keeping a good working relationship
• Handled cash and credit transactions of large and small amounts
• Worked in the customer cafeteria serving food and taking money transactions
• Sales and Marketing — Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
• Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
International Career Institute, London, GB, Paralegal Secretarial
Middlesex University, London, GB, Bachelors, Interior Architecture and Design
The Surrey Institute of Art & Design, University College, Surrey, GB, Interior Design
I gained a foundation studies certificate in art and design.