The Gasworks is, as its name suggests, a brownfield regeneration development of a redundant gas storage facility in the city centre docklands area of Dublin. The 3.2 hectare / 8 acre site for this development lies within an area for which a detailed urban design Master Plan for renewal and regeneration has been prepared. The development site had been in industrial use since the 1870’s. The “Alliance “ gas holder frame, being the sole remaining cast iron frame on the site, is ranked as an important industrial archaeological monument in the city and is a Protected Structure. The frame, made in London in 1885 by S. Cutler and Sons, has been fully restored and repainted and is incorporated into the design for a nine storey doughnut shaped apartment building with an open circular atrium at its center.
Location: Dublin, IE