Winners of the Competition of Competitions
Photo by Wesley G. Deploy Yourself, Not Your Designs. The Coalition for the Improvement of Refugee Camps [Mary Monroe, Lee Dykxhoorn]
The winners were finally revealed for Storefront's Competition of Competitions, where entrants got to question the boundaries and shortcomings of competition brief formats by writing their very own. From the 18 finalists announced back in February, the jury picked 4 prize-winning projects, 7 honorable mentions, and a Storefront Special Prize.
All selected projects will be publicized and given support to reach the pertinent agents and authorities. The Storefront Special Prize winner will get to run their submitted competition as part of the 2014 Storefront for Art and Architecture program calendar.
Below are the winning competition briefs:
- 1ST PLACE WINNER - US$2,000: Deploy Yourself, Not Your Designs
By The Coalition for the Improvement of Refugee Camps (Marcy Monroe & Lee Dykxhoorn)
- 2ND PLACE WINNER - US$1,000: Labyrinth
By grey_matter(s) (Annie Charleston William McCommon Megan McDonough Shota Vashakmadze)
- 3RD PLACE JOINT WINNER - US$500: Amazonia 2020
By Civic Projects (Kati Rubinyi, Deborah Richmond , Michael Powell, Ewan E. Branda)
- 3RD PLACE JOINT WINNER - US$500: Open Source Open Space: Hacking the Built Environment
By Boot/Trunk (Nicole Lindahl, Louise Mackie and Samantha Senn)
- The City is The Room. The Room is The City by FormFictionFormat [Elena Palacios Carral, Manijeh Verghese]
- dePOLITIsign: An open call for the redesign of a USCIS office by Min Chen & Kristin Enright
- Off-the-Radar: The Architecture of Non-Existing Space by Mitnick-Roddier [Mireille Roddier, Keith Mitnick]
- Future Factory by Gretchen Wilkins [with Ian Nazareth and students Matthew Ellis, Ken Yip Lai, Sarah Moussa, Francisca Rodriguez, Nicholas Stathopoulos]
- Rezoning the 5th Facade: Redefining New York's City Roof Scape by normaldesign [Matthias Neumann in collaboration with Shane T. Umman]
- Second Nature by El Corbusier
- Into the Void: An Architectural Competition on Emptiness by Zooburbia [Felipe Orensanz, Rodrigo Duran]
STOREFRONT SPECIAL PRIZE: Taking Buildings Down by INC_A
Find the competition briefs in full on Bustler.