Junior Architect - Residential
Alex Scott Porter Architecture + Design is a small, well published, architecture and interiors firm located in downtown Manhattan. We specialize in meticulously detailed, modern houses and apartments.
We are seeking to hire a highly intelligent and talented junior level intern-architect to work on various residential projects and general office tasks. This position works closely with the principal and has a strong emphasis on design conceptualization by hand and computer, written and verbal communications, AutoCAD drafting, computer modeling, and production of other project documentation. This is an excellent opportunity to log your IDP hours and learn how a design gets realized. The number of years of experience is less important than finding someone who is the right fit for a long-term role at our firm. The position is full-time and will start freelance with the potential to become permanent.
- Distinguished Junior intern-architect who is eager to join a rising and successful firm in New York City.
- BA or BS in Architecture minimum.
- 1-4 years of experience (after graduating).
- Passion for construction and how buildings go together.
- Excited about our firm’s design sensibilities and about bringing in your ideas.
- Excited to work on all aspects of a home – from the scale of the building envelope to interior detailing to furniture design to FF&E selection.
- Excited to work in a small office environment where you will be exposed to all aspects of design projects and are happy to assist with any tasks, small or large, whether project-related or administrative.
- Excellent at working in a dynamic office environment on several tasks at once.
- Self-starting, detail-oriented, task-oriented and efficient person.
- Excellent at managing task priorities and honoring deadlines.
- You already live in the New York City metropolitan area.
- Written and verbal fluency in English.
- US Citizen or Green Card holder.
- Excellent AutoCAD, Adobe Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite skills, demonstrated by professional experience.
- AutoCAD proficiency must include professional experience in an office (must use key strokes).
- Excellent computer modeling and rendering skills, demonstrated in a professional environment (Sketch-Up…or other).
- Excellent organizational skills and a passion for being organized.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent, thorough and meticulous at picking up redlines.
- You have independently produced design development and construction document sets or have assisted significantly in their production.
- Familiarity with coordinating documentation with outside consultants.
Optional but Advantageous Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience and passion for drawing millwork and/or custom furniture details.
- Experience with wood frame construction.
- You can independently produce a presentation package.
- Proficiency in field measuring and producing the related drawings.
- Excellent freehand sketching skills.
- Good knowledge of design material and product vendors in New York City.
- You can independently produce presentation, schematic design, design development, and construction document sets.
- Participation in a project from inception through construction.
- Experience writing and/or significant familiarity with architectural and/or FF&E specifications.
- Experience receiving and processing Construction Administration submittals for Architectural and FF&E items.
- Experience taking and producing Meeting Minutes.
- Professional AutoCAD experience with version 2010 or later.
Salary is competitive and based on experience/skill level
Email your information in the below format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that applicants who do not use this format will not be considered. (No phone calls, please.)
- Write “Junior Intern-Architect – Your Name” in the subject heading.
- In lieu of a cover letter, please include the following information in the body of the email, in the numbered order given:
- Your name.
- Schools you attended & degrees.
- Number of years of full-time professional experience in the field of architecture after your first degree.
- Describe your experience with residential projects, if any, (name of firms and your role on the projects).
- If you do not have experience with residential projects, provide any related experience you might have (i.e. high-end hospitality or retail).
- What software applications are you fluent in? List the version and duration you have worked with each application in an architecture office.
- Most recent salary and desired salary.
- Are you a US Citizen or a Green Card holder?
- Reasons for wanting to join Alex Scott Porter Architecture + Design.
- Current position and reason for leaving.
- If not working full-time, what are you doing with your time? Why did you leave your last position?
- When would you be available to start? How much notice would you need to give at your current position?
- Attach your Resume and Work Samples in PDF format. Be sure to include the following in your Work Samples:
- Examples of your design ability (ie. school work, process drawings/models from an office).
- An example of a professional presentation.
- An example of professional working drawings (details are best).
- Please do not exceed 6MB.