Consultant Project Manager for Architecture
Industry: Government – NYC Parks
Salary: $68,000 - $79,000 plus excellent benefits
Title: Consultant Project Manager for Architecture
The New York City Department of Parks & Recreation (NYC Parks) serves as the steward for over 29,000 acres of land, which includes 1,000 playgrounds, 35 recreation centers, 66 pools and 14 miles of beach. Our primary responsibility is to build and maintain clean, safe and accessible parks, and to create cultural and educational programs for New Yorkers of all ages to enjoy. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under general supervision, manage multiple consultant architectural and engineering design contracts for new and remodeled Park facilities within an established schedule and budget.
- Lead scoping meetings with project stakeholders to identify project goals. Liaise with project stakeholders to keep them apprised of progress.
- Develop a master project schedule that accounts for all consultant and agency tasks, from the scoping meeting through construction completion.
- Develop requests for proposals (RFPs) to obtain consultant architectural and engineering services.
- Monitor the progress of consulting architects and engineers to ensure designs are well-thought-out and balance aesthetics, efficiency, scope requirements and maintenance constraints. Utilizing AutoCAD and other software programs, review consultant submissions for completeness and compliance with agency goals such as high quality design, sustainability and durability. Coordinate other professional reviews such as landscape architectural design and engineering trades.
- Pro-actively manage consultants to ensure project milestones are met.
- Review designs with agency staff including landscape architects, engineers, construction staff and maintenance personnel.
- Present projects to other governmental agencies and departments, contractors, consultants, community members and the general public as required.
- Ensure all necessary regulatory City, State and Federal agency approvals are received prior to issuance of bid.
- Review and approve consultant payment requests. Coordinate with agency budget and accounting units to ensure efficient contract registration and payment.
- Monitor progress of construction, including consultant’s review and approval of shop drawings. Conduct occasional site inspections for quality assurance.
One year of full-time satisfactory experience in supervising employees performing project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating or expediting, on engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects, or supervising a construction project with a value of $1,000,000 or more, and either:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, business administration, or public administration, and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating or expediting, for engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects; or
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and five years of experience as described in “1” above; or
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus any combination of college education and/or experience described in “1” above to make up equivalent of five years education and experience. One year of experience credit will be given for: (a) each 30 semester credits of college education leading to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, business administration, or public administration; (b) a Masters degree from an accredited university in one of the disciplines described in “1” above; or (c) a valid New York State license as a Professional Engineer, Registered Architect or Registered Landscape Architect.
Experience that is primarily of a design nature is not acceptable towards meeting the qualification requirements.
For Assignment Level II: In addition to meeting the qualification requirements above, candidates must have at least one additional year of experience as described in “1” above in a supervisory capacity or have served for at least one year as a project manager for a large and/or complex construction project.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Valid New York State license to practice architecture or engineering.
- At least five years experience in leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or prime consultant contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve design, engineering and contractual issues.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
Apply by 8/1/14:
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID: 154840
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks