Gary Shlifer, M.S. LEED AP BD+C, Homes
I've been immersed in the Performance Green Building Movement and the study of sustainability since the early 1990's and was one of the pioneers of the industry in Florida. I am confident that I would be an excellent choice for the positions of 'Director of Sustainability', 'Performance Green Building Consultant', 'LEED Project Manager', 'Chief Sustainability Officer', 'Sustainability Specialist' or other where I can bring my passions, experiences, and skills to bear.
I bring a wealth of knowledge, experience, and a passionate work ethic to any position where I can influence decision makers and stakeholders towards developing performance, resilient, sustainable new and existing built environments and furthering corporate responsibility. As an experienced Sustainability Professional I provide the support and know-how to successfully guide project teams towards achieving high levels of sustainability and building certification. I'm experienced in leading, managing and implementing programs, strategies and initiatives for sustainable buildings, companies, campuses, municipalities and portfolios.
One of my strengths is an ability to facilitate the 'integrative process' considered the foundation of sustainable programs, design strategies and measures. It is with this expertise, my intimacy with performance green building rating systems such as LEED and my graduate studies of Systems Theory/Cybernetics that make me an ideal candidate. My unique ability to understand the relationships between energy, waste, water, architecture, site, communities, and cultural, social and human systems gives me a powerful ability to realize how to develop and implement measures for sustainability.
I have the ability and skills to take on a variety of responsibilities, am a self starter, and work well independently and with others. I articulate ideas efficiently and effectively while delivering accurate information through the spoken word and compelling, engaging multimedia presentations.
I guide building owners and operators, architects, landscape architects, interior designers and engineers through the development and implementation of sustainable performance green building strategies, measures, business policies and programs. I work with disciplines to set benchmarks, establish goals and create programs that work within the corporate culture. I lead sourcing of reliable products, materials, systems and vendors to streamline innovations and work with costing professionals to determine ROI and lifecycle analytics.
Whether it be new construction, renovations, building operations, business practices, corporate responsibility, or sustainability master planning, I provide the inertia to develop and implement 'make sense' strategies to reach high levels of sustainability and the balance of economic, human and environmental prosperity.
I am an excellent public speaker and presenter capable of crafting engaging and compelling Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. I have additional skills for producing video presentations.
Availability – Immediately. Start – Upon successful relocation.
I look forward to the opportunity to interview for the position.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
GARY SHLIFER M.S., LEED AP BD+C, Homes
Experienced Chief Sustainability Professional and Performance Green Building Professional with success and insight into development and implementation of programs, strategies, measures, systems and methods leading to sustainable built new and existing built environments for communities, campuses and municipalities.
• Record of forging strategic partnerships and creating collaborative, cross-departmental and sector, interdisciplinary relationships towards establishing and strengthening sustainability initiatives, programs, policy and performance green building.
• Proficient in the complete LEED Certification process for new construction, major renovations, and existing buildings.
• Seasoned public speaker and organizational representative committed to staying on message while precipitating measureable outcome.
• Experienced program design capabilities with knowledge of planning, launch, implementation, evaluation metrics and lifecycle.
• Versatile creative thinker accustomed to facilitating and growing collaborative, innovative, programs and solutions.
• Powerful advocate with the skills and abilities to cultivate initiatives and programs to support goals for sustainability in culture, policy and built environments.
Leadership Strengths and Management Competencies
Skillful Sustainability Leader:
Keen knowledge of diverse sustainability measures, strategies, programs and systems with a focus on forging consensus and building commitment. Motivating others to exceed performance expectations while leading by example with highest level of integrity. Polished Presentation and Delivery Abilities:
Talented in crafting multiple communication vehicles and effectively delivering presentations to audiences from one-on-one to large groups. Consistently able to garner consensus and win cross sector, cross disciplinary support.
Valued Team Contributor/Mentor:
Demonstrated background of going above-and-beyond, to provide 'big picture' scenarios to drive results and performance. Strong interpersonal skills, highly creative and innovative in developing solutions. Accomplished Project Director:
Skilled in facilitating the 'integrative process', developing and deploying development strategies for individual, organizational, department or community impact. Focused on measurable results that consistently cuts costs and meet deadlines.
Nova Southeastern University • Ft. Lauderdale, FL – Master's of Science- Systems & Human Behavior
Temple University • Philadelphia, PA – Bachelor's of Arts – Communications
Professional Experience & Achievements
Chief Sustainability Professional – Performance Green Building Professional
A-E Firm – Guernsey: Architects, Engineers, Consultants • Oklahoma City, OK. April 2010–August 2013
Guernsey is the largest employee owned architectural and engineering Firm in Oklahoma servicing the federal government, regional municipalities, higher education, commercial and residential development companies for the past 85 years. The 150 employee company provides architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, mechanical-electrical-plumbing-civil engineering, fire protection engineering, commissioning, master planning, RFP authoring and sustainable design services.
Responsibilities included leading sustainability initiatives, measures, education and management of LEED certification of client new construction and major renovations projects. Additionally lead and oversaw the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance strategy development and implementation of measures in the pursuit of certification. This included sustainable business policies, practices, upgrade of systems, integrating new systems, and use materials and resources. Attended to and managed multiple buildings and clients simultaneously.
■ Recognized the need to align sustainability approaches and strategies to strengthen senior management, architects, engineers, landscape architects, interior designers and planners skill performance in competitive climate.
• Action … Educated staff and coordinated alignment of practices between disciplines to enhance successfully met LEED intent and requirements.
• Result … Successfully achieved credits toward LEED certification and sustainability for all relevant proposals. Introduced new, innovative design concepts and strategies to disciplines to integrate.
■ Initiated organizational analysis of corporate responsibility practices with a focus on aligning policy and systems, lifecycle costing and corporate culture. Established benchmarks for optimization of energy, waste, and water.
• Action … Reviewed all company practices and policies and developed a course of action to transform operations to align with sustainable goals and policies.
• Result … The create of an on-going corporate transformation that includes recycling, energy efficiency, water efficiency, waste management, in-door air quality and renovation guidelines, among other company-wide systems.
- Noteworthy New Construction Projects for Clients:
■ Camp Lejeune – Devil Dog Battalion Aid and Applied Training Center – Pursuing LEED Gold Certification- Jacksonville, NC
■ Windsor Locks Readiness Center- Pursuing LEED Silver Certification – Hartford, CT
■ Sugar Grove Fire and Police Centers - Pursuing LEED Silver Certification - Sugar Grove, WV
■ Starship 6050 – Pursuing LEED Silver Certification- Ft. Sill, OK
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Compliance and successful LEED certification for client new construction projects.
• Internal corporate responsibility initiatives and efforts that benefited company and employees.
• Education of employees and disciplines on performance green building and sustainability.
• Writing and distribution of electronic newsletter.
• Establishment and management of the Guernsey Sustainability Committee.
• Initiated and oversaw implementation of sustainability services such as Green Cleaning, Energy Optimization, and Indoor Air Quality measures.
• Assisted in the production of video content for marketing and promotion related to project highlights and external education.
Oklahoma State University • Oklahoma City, OK February 2012 - April 2013
Instructor – LEED Accreditation Workshops
Created and implemented a series of workshops with a grant from the Oklahoma Department of Commerce in partnership with Oklahoma State University to expand regional expertise. Series designed to increase quantity of LEED Green Associate (LEED GA) and LEED Accredited Professional for Building Design and Construction (LEED AP BD+C) accredited professionals.
Strategic Accomplishments …
■ Created successful curriculum to prepare industry professionals for rigorous accreditation exams.
• Action … Led intensive high level workshops which prepared future professionals for strict compliance examination through 24 16-hour workshops.
• Result … Prepared and educated over 500 professionals to assist a growing market in high need of performance green building expertise.
Green Building Florida • Hollywood Beach, FL 2005 - 2010
As principal of the firm that provided consulting services to commercial, higher education, K-12, and residential clients. Services included charrette and integrative process facilitation, sourcing of products, materials and systems, LEED and Florida Green Building Certification stewardship, sustainability education, and on-site inspections.
Florida Green Building Coalition Certifying Agent for multiple residential projects. Introduced the City of Hollywood to Local Green Government Certification process.
- Noteworthy LEED-FGBC Certified Projects
■ St. Stephen’s Episcopal Day School- LEED for Schools Gold Certification – Miami, FL
■ Bay Harbor Residence – LEED for Homes Silver, Florida Green Building Coalition Gods, Energy Star Certifications- Miami, FL
■ 2020 Alton Road – LEED for Homes Platinum Certification- Net Zero Home- Miami Beach, FL
The Spinnaker Group • Weston, FL 2006 - 2008
Provided part-time as needed support to senior management in the areas of performance green building, LEED Certification, marketing and business development. Developed presentations for the charrette process and education of clients, municipal leaders and developers.
Director of Photography • Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beaches and International FL 1985–2010
Independent creative cinematographer working on location and on-set of motion pictures, music videos, documentaries, and national television commercials. Accomplished in directing, photographing and editing various content as required.
■ Produced and directed a successful, ahead of its time sports film financed through a now common model of advertiser driven-content to promote sales.
■ Photographed seven-time Grammy winner Gloria Estafan in 'Mi Buen Amor' music video.
■ Photographed a multitude of content and underwater elements for major motion pictures, national commercials, music videos, documentaries, corporate promotion and episodic television.
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Responsible for creating the visual look of production and executing on vision to deliver complete and on-time footage..
• Leadership and direction to camera, lighting and equipment personnel with key operations time-management functions.
• Budgeting and on-budget cost delivery photography department.
Community Leadership Experience
• U.S. Green Building Council OK Chapter –Vice Chair - 2011-2013
Serving in chapter leadership position as mentor, educator, manager and sustainability advocate for NGO, Government, Profit and non-Profit companies and organizations. Involved in ongoing chapter events, activities, advocacy, education, and programs. Shared management of board and executive committee monthly and annual meetings and events. Supported annual 'Spring Forum' expo and conference with 500 average attendees coming from the public and private sectors.
• Green Building Certification Institute–Content Expert – 2011 & 2009
Served Prometric Exam Provider and GBCI by offering expertise from the field in drafting and reviewing of (items) questions to be integrated into LEED Accreditation Exams.
• U.S. Green Building Council South Florida Chapter – Member - 2009–2010
Served as mentor, educator, advocate for Broward branch and chapter with respect to LEED for homes and all potential residential green building rating systems for new and existing residential built environments. Served as expert educator for the LEED for Homes rating system and Florida Green Building Coalition Green Home rating system.
• City of Hollywood Green Team Advisory Board – Vice Chair - 2007–2008
Served by advising the City of Hollywood on potential sustainable and green programs, strategies and measures for implementation. Introduced the city to the Florida Green Building Coalition's 'Local Green Government' Certification and process. FGBC Local Green Government Bronze Certification was achieved July 2012.
• Synergy Housing Development Corp - Delray Beach, FL 1993–2000
Founder and core investor of the first in Florida 38 home sustainable performance green residential community. Project moved from concept through zoning approval and successfully sold to builder/developer.
Conference – Seminar - Lecture Speaking Professional
• U.S. Green Building Council South Florida Chapter • Residential Summit • Davie, FL
• U.S. Green Building Council Oklahoma Chapter • Spring Forum • Tulsa, OK
• Green Building Conference and Expo • Oklahoma City, OK
• City of Oklahoma City (Multiple Events) LEED Core Concepts • Oklahoma City, OK
• Congress for the Future of Engineering Software(COFES) • Phoenix, AZ
• Army Corp of Engineers – Society of American Military Engineers - Ft. Sill, OK
• Oklahoma Society of Engineers • Oklahoma City, OK
-Complete list available upon request-
Environmental Leadership Award • Miami Chapter of the American Institute of Architects 2008
2020 Alton Road – LEED Platinum – USGBC South Florida – Residential Project of the Year 2013
St. Stephen's Episcopal Day School – LEED Gold – USGBC South Florida – K-12 Project of the Year 2012
C. H. Guernsey & Co., Oklahoma City, Chief Sustainability Professional - Performance Green Building Professional
Integrative Process Facilitation - Charrette Facilitation
LEED Project Management
Holistic Sustainability Master Planning
Materials, Systems, Products Sourcing
Corporate Responsibility Facilitation
LEED EB:OM Initiatives, Strategies, Implementation, Certification Process
LEED Plan Reviews
LEED Documentation Management - Submittals - CIR/IDR Authoring
LEED GA/LEED BD+C Accreditation Exam Prep Instruction
Marketing and Sales - Brochure Copy Authoring, Video Production, PowerPoint/Keynote presentation authoring
External Public Speaking
Green Building Florida, Hollywood, FL, US, Performance Green Building - LEED Consulting
LEED Project Consulting and Management - K-12, Commercial, Residential
Speaking Professional on the subject of LEED/Sustainable Design and Construction Methods
Products, Systems, Materials Sourcing
Client Account Management
Residential Green Building Advocate: USGBC South Florida Chapter
Nova Southeastern University (NSU), Davie, FL, US, Masters, Systems Science
The study of human and environmental systems.
Temple University, Main Campus , Bachelors, Communications
Journalism, Video Production, Mass Marketing