see all...Viewing 3 out of 6 projects
Gary Shlifer, M.S. LEED AP BD+C, Homes
Accreditations: LEED Accredited Professional Specialties for:
- Green Building Design and Construction (BD+C)
- Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance (O+M)
- Residential Green Building Design and Construction - Homes
Professional Experience & Achievements
Performance Green Building – LEED - Sustainability Project Manager
Sarasota, Florida – Orlando, Florida September 2015 - Present
Contracted Consultant and Project Manager to architects, engineers, stakeholders, developers and building managers for performance green building, LEED (NC, CS, Healthcare, Schools, CI, EBOM) and Florida Green Building Coalition certification with respect to the design, construction, operations and maintenance of performance built environments. Integrative process facilitation, project administration, education, and oversight of LEED Online submittal portal.
Performance Green Building – LEED - Sustainability Project Manager
HLMS Sustainability Solutions
Sarasota, Florida – Cleveland, OH July 2014 - Present
Contracted Consultant and Project Manager to architects, engineers, stakeholders, developers and building managers for performance green building, LEED (NC, CS, Healthcare, Schools, CI, ND, Homes) and Enterprise Green Communities certification with respect to the design, construction, operations and maintenance of performance built environments. Integrative process facilitation, project administration, education, and oversight of LEED Online submittal portal.
Project Manager and Consultant - Projects include: Cleveland Clinic Cancer Building (LEED HC), Central Choice Cedar Extension (LEED ND, NC & Enterprise Green Communities), Uptown II Apartments (LEED NC Silver Certified), The City of Cleveland – City Hall, Public Auditorium and West Side Market (LEED EBOM)
Performance Green Building – LEED - Sustainability – Corporate Responsibility Consultant
Hollywood - Sarasota, Florida December 2006 - Present
Consulting to architects, engineers, building owners, stakeholders, developers, municipalities, higher education and residential for sustainability, performance green building and LEED certification with respect to the design, construction, operations and maintenance of new and existing buildings. Integrative process facilitation. Support, leadership and policy authoring for v3/v4 LEED for Existing Buildings Operations and Maintenance certification. Sustainability, performance green building presenter and speaking professional.
Chief Sustainability Professional – Performance Green Building Professional
A-E Firm – Guernsey: Architects, Engineers, Consultants • Oklahoma City, OK. April 2010–September 2013
Guernsey is the largest employee owned architectural and engineering Firm in Oklahoma servicing the federal government, regional municipalities, higher education, commercial and residential development companies. The 150 employee company provides architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, mechanical-electrical-plumbing-civil engineering, fire protection engineering, commissioning, master planning, RFP authoring and sustainable design services.
Responsibilities included leading both internal and client sustainability initiatives, measures, education and management of LEED certification of client new construction and major renovations projects. Established and lead the internal ‘Sustainability Green Team’ to collaboratively implement measures and programs for the company owned building.
Additionally lead and oversaw the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance strategy development and implementation of measures in the pursuit of certification. This included sustainable business policies, practices, upgrade of systems, integrating new systems, and use materials and resources. Attended to and managed multiple buildings and clients simultaneously.
■ Recognized the need to align sustainability approaches and strategies to strengthen senior management, architects, engineers, landscape architects, interior designers and planners skill performance in competitive climate.
■ Initiated organizational analysis of corporate responsibility practices with a focus on aligning policy and systems, lifecycle costing and corporate culture. Established benchmarks for optimization of energy, waste, and water.
• Reviewed all company practices and policies and developed a course of action to transform operations to align with sustainability goals and policies.
Noteworthy Projects Managed
Key Areas of Accountability:
• Manage, facilitate, support LEED certification for new construction projects.
• Internal corporate responsibility initiatives and efforts that benefited company and employees.
• Education of employees and disciplines on performance green building, sustainability and LEED.
• Established and facilitated the internal ‘Sustainability Green Team Committee’
• Writing, facilitating, distribution of internal ‘Going Green’ electronic newsletter.
• Organizing, facilitation and leading Sustainability Committee.
• Initiated and oversaw implementation of LEED EBOM v3 requirements including policies for purchasing, waste streams, and alterations, and measures for green cleaning, energy optimization, and indoor air quality.
• Directed and managed the production of video content for marketing and promotion related to projects, firm architectural, BIM showreel and external education.
Oklahoma State University • Oklahoma City, OK February 2011 - April 2013
Instructor – LEED Accreditation Workshops
Created and implemented a series of workshops with a grant from the Oklahoma Department of Commerce in partnership with Oklahoma State University to expand regional expertise. Series designed to increase quantity of LEED Green Associate (LEED GA) and LEED Accredited Professional for Building Design and Construction (LEED AP BD+C) accredited professionals.
■ Created successful curriculum to prepare industry professionals for rigorous GBCI accreditation exams.
• Action: Led intensive high level workshops which prepared future professionals for strict compliance examination through 24 16-hour workshops.
• Result: Prepared and educated over 300 professionals to assist a growing market in need of performance green building expertise.
Green Building Florida • Hollywood Beach, FL 2001 - 2010
Principal/Founder of a firm that provided green building consulting services to commercial, higher education, K-12, and residential clients. Services included charrette and integrative process facilitation, sourcing of products, materials and systems, LEED and Florida Green Building Certification stewardship, sustainability education, and on-site inspections.
Florida Green Building Coalition Certifying Agent for multiple residential projects. Introduced the City of Hollywood to Local Green Government Certification process.
Noteworthy LEED-FGBC Certified Projects
The Spinnaker Group • Weston, FL 2006 - 2008
Provided part-time as needed support to senior management in the areas of performance green building, LEED Certification, marketing and business development. Developed presentations for the charrette process and education of clients, municipal leaders and developers.
Community Leadership Experience
• U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) OK Chapter –Vice Chair - 2011-2013
Serving in chapter leadership position as mentor, educator, manager and sustainability advocate for NGO, Government, Profit and non-Profit companies and organizations. Involved in ongoing chapter events, activities, advocacy, education, and programs. Shared management of board and executive committee monthly and annual meetings and events. Supported annual 'Spring Forum' expo and conference with 500 average attendees coming from the public and private sectors.
• Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI) –Content Expert – 2011 & 2009
Served Prometric Exam Provider and GBCI by offering expertise from the field in drafting and reviewing of (items) questions to be integrated into the LEED for Homes Accreditation Exam.
• USGBC South Florida Chapter – Residential Green Building Advocate (RGBA) - 2009–2010
Served as mentor, educator, advocate for Broward branch and chapter with respect to LEED for homes and all potential residential green building rating systems for new and existing residential built environments. Served as expert educator for the LEED for Homes rating system and Florida Green Building Coalition Green Home rating system.
• City of Hollywood Green Team Advisory Board – Vice Chair - 2007–2008
Served by advising the City of Hollywood on potential sustainable and green programs, strategies and measures for implementation. Introduced the city to the Florida Green Building Coalition's 'Local Green Government' Certification and process. FGBC Local Green Government Bronze Certification was achieved July 2012.
• Synergy Housing Development Corp - Delray Beach, FL 1993–2000
Founder and core investor of the first in Florida 38 home sustainable performance green residential community. Project moved from concept through zoning approval and successfully sold to builder/developer.
Conference – Seminar - Lecture Speaking Professional
• U.S. Green Building Council South Florida Chapter • Residential Summit • Davie, FL
• U.S. Green Building Council Oklahoma Chapter • Spring Forum • Tulsa, OK
• Green Building Conference and Expo • Oklahoma City, OK
• City of Oklahoma City (Multiple Events) LEED Core Concepts • Oklahoma City, OK
• Congress for the Future of Engineering Software(COFES) • Phoenix, AZ
• Army Corp of Engineers – Society of American Military Engineers - Ft. Sill, OK
• Oklahoma Society of Engineers • Oklahoma City, OK
- Complete list available upon request -
C. H. Guernsey & Co., Oklahoma City, Chief Sustainability Professional - Performance Green Building Professional
Integrative Process Facilitation - Charrette Facilitation
LEED Project Management
Holistic Sustainability Master Planning
Materials, Systems, Products Sourcing
Corporate Responsibility Facilitation
LEED EB:OM Initiatives, Strategies, Implementation, Certification Process
LEED Plan Reviews
LEED Documentation Management - Submittals - CIR/IDR Authoring
LEED GA/LEED BD+C Accreditation Exam Prep Instruction
Marketing and Sales - Brochure Copy Authoring, Video Production, PowerPoint/Keynote presentation authoring
External Public Speaking
Green Building Florida, Hollywood, FL, US, Performance Green Building - LEED Consulting
LEED Project Consulting and Management - K-12, Commercial, Residential
Speaking Professional on the subject of LEED/Sustainable Design and Construction Methods
Products, Systems, Materials Sourcing
Client Account Management
Residential Green Building Advocate: USGBC South Florida Chapter
Nova Southeastern University (NSU), Davie, FL, US, Masters, Systems Science
The study of human and environmental systems.
Temple University, Main Campus , Bachelors, Communications
Journalism, Video Production, Mass Marketing