Gulcin received a Master of Architecture-II degree in September 2010 from Southern California Institute of Architecture, Los Angeles which is a leading graduate program focusing on the computational design and digital media. She completed this program with the graduate thesis titled “Sensorial Transitions” with Michael Maltzan as thesis advisor. She holds a Bachelor of Architecture degree from Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, which is the oldest and leading Fine Arts University of Turkey. She also studied for a year in Kunstuniversitaet Linz, Austria which is one of the most respectable design schools in Austria as an exchange student at the Department of Architecture with an Erasmus Scholarship.
Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, TR, Adjunct Instructor
Teaching experience at Istanbul Technical University, Department of Architecture with Ozan Onder Ozener. The senior design studio “ Work+p:space” encourages students to engage in two parallel issues of design: understand and reinterpret the elements of workspace design; use internal and external design variables/drivers for data driven/ parametric component generation for further design processing.
Extraordinary Real Estate, Los Angeles, CA, US, Junior Architect
Work experience in one of the leading boutique real estate developers in Los Angeles including Modern Bungalow and Better Shelter.
• Responsibilities included working on conceptual, preliminary schemes, further developing designs in design development phase and producing construction documents of many residential projects in Northeast Los Angeles area.
• Determining functional and spatial requirements of structures/renovations: preparing information regarding materials, estimated costs, and construction time.
• Coordinating engineering requirements with outside structural engineers and contractors.
• Designing development drawings, managing design changes, coordinating design presentations.
• Applying knowledge of architecture to plan and design construction procedures, building materials and layout of project; integrate architectural/engineering elements into unified design; ensure designs comply with all applicable laws and regulations; obtain review/approval where necessary.
• Coordinating structural, electrical, and mechanical designs and graphically represent building plans.
• Negotiating and preparing contracts, proposals, and work authorizations; identifying assumptions, exclusions, and supplemental services throughout project.
• Conducting on-site observation of work during construction and monitoring compliance with plans.
• Maintaining project schedule and ensuring project deadlines are met.
Michele Saee, Los Angeles, CA, US, Junior Designer
Work experience in the architectural studio of renowned architect Mr. Michele Saee.
• Responsibilities included assistance preparing construction documents of Tahiti Marina Apartments, 162-unit housing development in Marina Del Rey, CA.
• Design development and construction documents of a single-family house renovation project in Beverly Hills, CA.
• Assistance with preparation of construction documents for a single-family house addition and renovation in Bel Air, CA.
• Proposing preliminary design options for an existing commercial storefront in W. Hollywood, CA.
Hashim Sarkis Architecture Landscape Urban Design, Cambridge, MA, US, Intern Architect
Work experience in the architecture studio of Prof. Hashim Sarkis (the Aga Khan Professor of Landscape Architecture and Urbanism in Muslim Societies in Harvard University)
• Responsibilities included design development work of Bab Tebbaneh School for Working Children and for Women, Tripoli, Lebanon (2007 P/A award citation)
• Construction documents of the Oleana Restaurant addition in Cambridge, MA.
Mimarlar Tasarim, Istanbul, TR, Intern Architect
Work experience in one of Turkey’s most distinguished architecture studio under the mentorship of 2004 Aga Khan Award Laureate, Mr. Han Tumertekin.
Built Models for:
• 32 unit Gocek Marina weekend house project in Gocek, Mugla
• 2000 GSM office renovation/rehabilitation project in historic district of Pera, Istanbul
• 5000 GSM Retail redevelopment/transformation on historic district of “Istiklal Street”
• Study Models for 72-unit seasonal housing development in Kusadasi, Mugla
Southern California Institute of Architecture (SCI-Arc), MArch, Master of Architecture-II
Mimar Sinan University of Fine Arts, BArch, Architecture
Universität für Künstlerische und Industrielle Gestaltung Linz, Exchange student at Architecture Department