Archinect
anchor

Land Art

x-jla

Just out of curiosity...How do people like Nancy Holt, Robert Irwin, Turrell, etc...get these huge expensive projects built?  I understand projects on museum grounds...but what about those projects out in the desert?  Whos paying?  Whos land is it?  I tried to research this a bit, but no info. 

May 16, 14 1:12 pm
x-jla

Lightning Field is amazing, but how the hell was it funded?  Who maintains it?  It clearly does not generate any income all the way out there...

May 16, 14 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
-------

The Shock of the New - Ep 8 - The Future That Was

Fast-forward to 47 minutes. While Robert Hughes doesn't come out and explicitly state how Lightning Field was funded, he does mention that it was tax-deductible, so...

You might enjoy the entire SHOCK OF THE NEW series, which is posted in its entirety on YouTube.

Other references that might answer your questions:

Probing the Earth: Contemporary Land Projects - I have a copy of this, I'll check it when I can.

Smithson and Serra: Beyond Modernism?

May 16, 14 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Thanks!  I'll check it out!

May 16, 14 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

Irwin plays the ponies.

May 17, 14 1:53 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

?  What do you mean^

May 17, 14 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Enormous foundations like Dia and Lannan, and the patronage of eccentric millionaires like Stanley Marsh, III.  In other words, they are funded just like Architecture.

May 17, 14 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: