Archinect
anchor

Autodesk inquires about illegal licenses

May 16 '14 17 Last Comment
Testground
May 16, 14 9:16 am

I've recently received a letter of inquiry from Autodesk regarding use of illegally copied versions of Autocad. Has anyone else had the same experience and what have you done about it? What were the results of the inquiry?

curtkram
May 16, 14 9:46 am

are you using illegally copied versions of autocad?

LITS4FormZ
May 16, 14 10:22 am

If you're not using illegal or unlicensed software then you have nothing to worry about...

I'm guessing that since you are asking, you might be using illegal or unlicensed software...

Good Luck?

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 16, 14 8:25 pm

You buy that copy from a guy in a black trench coat, black pants, and a black  turtle neck? Did it come in a ziplock bag with a ounce of Mary Jane?

accesskb
May 16, 14 8:38 pm

no, I haven't because I've always paid for my copy legally or used an educational license

Miles JaffeMiles Jaffe
May 16, 14 8:42 pm

They also track IP addresses on traffic addressing this issue. Not that they have to, since they already know where you live.

Here's a question: if it's an illegal license, do you have to abide by the end-user agreement?

Nice first post. 

gruen
May 16, 14 8:52 pm

Snook, those clothes describe most of us here...

sameolddoctor
May 16, 14 8:59 pm

Look at everyone being all sanctimonious and shit here. As if all of you guys make enough to buy 7000$ softwares (lol).

boy in a well
May 17, 14 12:52 am

pssh, only an ounce . . .

archanonymous
May 17, 14 12:57 am

No one is putting a gun to his ( or your) head and forcing you to use a $5000+ software package from AutoCad. 

Plenty of firms do great work on SketchUp and Rhino + Plugins or even simple 2D AutoCAD Lt, none of which cost more than $1000. If you were a student, it you may get some sympathy - especially back in the day, there was not always a student version available. You, however, are a professional and have no excuse.

boy in a well
May 17, 14 1:20 am

whatever.

anyone else get one of these mystery letters?

Do tell!

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 19, 14 1:11 pm

There is a software bootlegger in every office.

snooker-doodle-dandy
May 19, 14 1:11 pm

HE or She is also the staff member who belongs to a bowling league.

curtkram
May 19, 14 2:30 pm

i've had licenses go bad, and autodesk products that my office paid for quit working.  (it didn't go bad because we quit paying, rather it was just something got messed up when they were transitioning to a new system or something screwy).  i may or may not have resorted to alternative methods of license authentication to keep the office running.  if they put half the effort into the actual program that they put into DRM, it might actually be worth what they charge.

i have never received a letter from them.  i'm not passing judgement as to whether you did or did not circumvent their licensing restrictions.  i could care less.  it does seem relevant to the question you're asking though.

haruki
May 19, 14 7:13 pm

This could be a big deal. A small office I used to work at ended up settling with autodesk and paying them something like $30,000 to avoid formal legal troubles plus the additional amount it cost to purchase legitimate copies of their software.   

mightyaa
May 20, 14 2:08 pm

Ages ago, I got a similar threatening letter.  But it turned out to be more of a scam sort of thing from some vendor trying to sell us more licenses.  They wanted to come out and 'inventory' then offer to 'bring us into compliance' by selling us copies at marked up cost to 'avoid' litigation. 

Since we're more than legal, we sniffed it out rather fast and reported it to Autodesk.  Don't know what became of it though.. basically, call Autodesk by looking up their number instead of calling the toll free number on the letter to verify whether it's 'official' or not.  We also get threats like this regularly like our 'google listing', 'yellow pages', 'web hosting', 'magazine subscriptions', etc. are going to be invalidated if we don't respond immediately...  Seems to be a regular marketing ploy to make it seem like it's a legal matter and use scare tactics. 

Basically, don't trust that it's really Autodesk.  If it is.... you might be in trouble because I seldom hear of them actually pursuing anyone unless they are seriously illegal. 

Menona
May 20, 14 2:22 pm

It seems like NCARB holds you hostage until you're licensed to practice.  Then when you're practicing, AutoDesk takes over the bridle and shakes you down.  "New Version!" -ugh.

30,000 to "avoid legal troubles" - then they "allow" them to purchase legal copies.  Sounds like an offer you can't refuse.

haruki
May 20, 14 8:43 pm

If I remember correctly to autodesk's credit they allowed the payment of the $30,000 fee to be in installments over time.........

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading