Archinect
anchor

From Interior Design to...

ct653

Hello Everyone,

I just finished my associates degree in Interior Design, but realized in my last months of studying it, I wanted to do something more. I know for a fact that I do want to stay in the design industry, but am very confused in where to take the next step for my career. I've been considering pursuing Architecture for my bachelors degree.. it is just overwhelming to me. 

I'm a hands-on person. I love building things/model-making. For the most part, I'm familiar with the programs architectural firms use: Cad, Sketch-up, 3ds Max, Photoshop, Illustrator  (Currently learning Revit and Maya). I love sketching and do enjoy, digital and marker renderings. Deriving from an Interior Design perspective, I am also familiar with the architectural styles and periods. 

But I know too many students who have dropped out of architecture and I am also not the strongest in math, nor science. Since interior design and architecture somewhat intertwine with each other, architecture seemed like the right path to take next. It takes a very long process to be a licensed architect.. and the whole process, truly overwhelms me. I am also having trouble deciding what other options I can take from where I stand...

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to take the next step in my career? Has anyone been an Interior Design major, but wanted to do something more? Thank you in advance to everyone and I value your opinion/suggestion.

May 6, 14 3:04 pm
( o Y o )

Prostitution, you already have the basic training. Being hands-on is a plus.

May 6, 14 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

If your any good at interior design I would stick with it.  I'm an arch and married to an interior designer.  They make better money (sadly) and have in my experience more design input during the early part of their career.  At this point you would likely be looking at 5 years of school for your professional bachelors plus 4 years of internship and 7 tests to become an architect.  To be a registered interior designer your looking at 2 years and one test.  You probably won't ever design a building but most of the people graduating architecture school won't either.  If after graduation you just can't help yourself you could probably get your masters in architecture in 3 years losing only a year from the other route.  

May 6, 14 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
An interior designer who actually draws and knows how things are assembled is gold. Very few of these people.
May 7, 14 9:03 am  · 
 · 
HeneryNadela25

Very nice and informative points are shared in the above comments, as i am also interested in designing field, the above discussion will help me for my future.

May 8, 14 4:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: