Archinect
anchor

The Truth about Boston Architectural College?

tony.morrison

Hello fellow Archinecters:

I have searched the forums on the Archinect website for some CURRENT information/opinions about the Boston Architectural College, but a lot of the posts seems to be quite out of date. I was wondering if anyone with actual experience could give me an honest opinion on the school, considering my situation.

Some background info on me: I am currently considering BAC to pursue an M. Arch. degree. I am going to be graduating from Purdue University in December with a B.S. in Geophysics/Geology. My GPA is not the best (2.6/4.0) and I mostly attribute my poor performance in my undergrad studies to a genuine lack of interest in my major and lack of technical scientific aptitude. Let's be honest--I am not great at astrophysics and want absolutely nothing to do with oil. Many people in my major get jobs working for one of the big 4 oil companies making 60,000-100,000 K a year...very attractive salaries to be making at 22.

Anyways, I have had a genuine passion and interest in architecture since I was in 4th or 5th grade. I was drawing floor plans and elevations for homes and schools and desgining neighborhoods and towns by the 7th grade. I have a great talent for thinking spatially and am a visual learner. I was seriously considering pursuing architecture for my undergrad but changed my mind at the last minute, in favor of pursuing a safer, more lucrative career. I find myself at the end of my college career feeling dissatisfied with what I have accomplished and learned in college and pessimistic about my future. Architecture has always been my passion and I feel as if I completely missed the boat and have screwed myself over from ever getting into a decent graduate architecture school.

I heard of BAC's program from a friend and was immediately intrigued. Their work during the day/study at night program seems like a great way to earn IDP credits and you can even sit for the exam upon graduation, if all goes well. But I am not sure if I am completely sold on splitting working and studying...especially for 5 years. Also, not being a studio-based program concerns me as well. Do employers even look at the BAC program as reputable or merely laugh it off?

Their open admissions policy, even for graduate school, has been the biggest question I have. How can a school possibly be reputable if they let everyone in? But at the same time, it could be the only viable option for me, considering I have absolutely no design experience and a not-so-good undergrad GPA. I also have no portfolio of creative work. My life in college consisted of calculus, astrophysics, seismology and chemistry. I am willing to put in the time to put together a solid portfolio to get into a good school, but I'm not sure if it would make a great deal of difference, considering the GPA cutoff for most programs is a 3.0.

I have been getting many mixed opinions from people (as I am sure I will get on here), but I would like somebody to point me in the right direction as to whether or not the BAC would be a good fit for me.

Sorry for the lengthy question. I congratulate you if you have made it this far.

Jun 15, 10 2:44 pm
toasteroven

BAC is actually a pretty good school, but the work/school/family schedule is incredibly difficult for most students to pull off.

the school is fairly reputable in the Boston area - there are a handful of principals at some large offices who graduated from there, and you instantly gain a certain amount of respect if you manage to make it out alive. They've managed to attract a somewhat higher quality student in recent years mostly because of the cost of other arch programs, but they still suffer from mediocre work at the lower levels due to their open admissions. many people who make it to the advanced studios and especially thesis would probably do well at an upper tier school - I wouldn't say the work is exceptional, but a lot of it is very good.

students who are successful there tend to be highly motivated, organized, and really on top of things - and I know several students have had jobs at some big name firms.

However - the big secret is that their graduation rate hovers around 10-20% (the acceptance rate at most other programs) - and less than half of students make it past the first portfolio review on their first try.

my advice - if you can get into and afford a full-time program, you're probably better off simply to maintain your own sanity. there are a few full-time programs that will overlook a shitty GPA if you have an awesome portfolio and recs - RISD, for example, doesn't have a minimum GPA requirement, but that school is ridiculously expensive and they do not offer aid the first year. Advanced studios at the BAC can be both interesting and challenging, but I don't think you'll ever get a chance to be as rigorous as you can at a full-time program.

Jun 15, 10 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

RISD gives scholarships to undergrads based on need including freshmen.

Apr 12, 18 11:20 am  · 
 · 
DannyPowell

The big pay for education process is unbearable injustice. As for me, tuition fees should be small, or tuition costs should not exist at all. If it so happens that tuition fees already exist and it’s impossible to avoid educational processes, then it is necessary to choose educational institutions that provide a level of education comparable to tuition. And also it is required to select educational institutions that offer free education for students who are successful among other students. I chose the university where a student can study for free if she or he is smart. When I entered university, I had to pay tuition. But then I began to study actively. I started to read many books and essay examples about civil rights and other examples of essays from the site https://samples.edusson.com/civil-rights/ that helped me write my papers better. After that, I was able to get a free education. The teachers noticed my progress and applied to consider me as a candidate for free education. In conclusion, I want to say that if a student is intelligent or at least hardworking, then he or she will be able to find an educational institution in which he or she will not be forced to pay tuition!

Mar 27, 19 4:13 am  · 
 · 
LJTarchinect

as a current BAC student, I can honestly say I don't have the time to fully answer your questions ;) Toasteroven's comments are right on. I believe the BAC is only as good as the individual student. There is no one who is going to hold your hand and tell you how to approach your education or career. I've was lucky to learn this early on in my education and it has really caused me to take responsibility for both my professional and academic paths.

I've had the best case scenario on both fronts- i.e. I've been working for the past 2 years at a small firm where I've learned a ton and I'm close to half completed with my IDP. Academically, I've gotten really good teachers, RISD, MIT, GSD educated and been involved in a new BAC initiative a design/build project of a sustainable house (following the success of the Solar Decathlon and the poor economy) that will be entering CDs in the Fall.

Reality at the BAC: many students are out of work, many have left the school because you need 'practice' credit to continue in the program. The Practice Department has started developing real world projects with non-profits etc. and these have been very successful for students and exciting. However, a lot of students are at the BAC for the affordability of working and paying a cheaper tuition, so unpaid work is tough. Also, one thing that no admission office will tell you- teachers are volunteer. They are usually very good as most teachers are trying to break into the academic world and have excellent credentials. However, they often stay for only one semester which means that there is no BAC style, for better or worse, but there is also no continuity and its hard to develop relationships with teachers when you are both working 40+ hours a week.

Its not for everyone, only the strong survive, but you get a really grounded education that turns out solid architects, not starchitects.

Jun 16, 10 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
bs1105

Curious if anyone enrolled at BAC is gaining IDP credits and educational credits at the same time. Maybe I am mis-informed, but from my understanding, practice based educational credits cannot be used for IDP also. I noticed footnote 1 in the IDP guidelines section "When can I start" that states "No experience used to meet your academic program’s graduation
requirement may be used to earn IDP experience."

see link:
http://www.ncarb.org/en/News-and-Events/News/2009/~/media/Files/PDF/Guidelines/idp_guidelines.pdf

Specifically, I am looking into the distance M.Arch but this might change my thoughts if I cannot gain IDP and M.Arch credits concurrently.

Does anyone have any information on this ?

Jun 30, 10 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Balagan

The other thing I will add, having taught there before, is that in general there is no shared/perpetual studio workspace. That means you only meet your fellow students in class and in studio, and anyone who has gone through a full-time program will tell you that the studio experience, interaction with your fellow colleagues, and learning from them is the most integral part of the architectural education. I will wager I learned more from my classmates than I did from my instructors when I was going through school.

The teachers who run/teach the studios are very enthusiastic and dedicated, seeing as how they are paid basically peanuts (barely covers transportation costs) so this is more or less pro bono work for them. The whole studio space situation is just an inherent disadvantage that the BAC has, so it is something you will have to deal with if you go that route.

Between working full-time and meeting your studio instructor only once a week, the whole setup is not particularly conducive for good studio work. I used to volunteer weekends for the students who wanted to meet; about 30-40% would show up. Those who worked hard still can produce good work though; it's just that there is a lot less cross-pollination that is so critical to architectural education.

Aug 10, 10 9:41 am  · 
 · 
missalves717

I'm currently working on my BArch at the BAC, and am in my last year (of seven) for the program. The school has its ups and downs, for sure.

The good: the working full time aspect was what initially attracted me to the BAC. The idea of being able to get college credit and get paid for it was and still is very appealing.

It’s cheaper than other schools, even if you consider the fact that the BAC takes longer to complete. Wentworth Institute of Technology, for example, costs (or did a couple years ago when I met someone that started there) about $30,000 per year, so their five year BArch program costs $150,000. The BAC currently costs $16,000 per year, so their seven year BArch program costs $112,000.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the open admission policy, in my opinion. I think it’s more that the BAC, instead of doing it through a low acceptance rate, lets the students that don’t belong at this school or in this profession weed themselves out through experience.

The BAC is tough; I won’t sugar coat it in any way, BAC students that continue through the program are crazy for the work that we put on ourselves. But the difficulty of the program is what makes it rewarding in my opinion. Students that graduate from the BAC are passionate about what they do.

The local architecture scene knows about the BAC and understands BAC students pretty well, and therefore values a BAC graduate pretty well. Outside of Boston, I don’t know if that still holds true. I did know one guy that was in the middle of his BAC career and was mentoring a GSD graduate at the office he was working at.

The bad: with their recent tuition increases and the lack of dorms (forcing you to pay for your housing somewhere else), the costs to go to the BAC are now probably more than other schools in the area. Rent is not cheap in the Boston area, so it can be problematic. I’ve even met a few fellow BAC students that live in Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut and travel all the way into Boston for class.

The concurrent program, as treebot mentioned, can be a problem in this economy. The majority of BAC students are out of work, not earning their practice credits, and not making enough money to pay for the rent that the BAC doesn’t provide for. The financial burden the BAC may provide should be considered. Not having a job may not be a problem; I know a guy that said that not going to work actually saved him money because he didn’t need to pay for day care for his kids or commuting costs.

Also as treebot mentioned, the instructors are basically volunteers. One of my studio instructors said that he got paid $150 to teach 10 students for one semester, and that won’t cover the cost of parking or for taking public transportation. Sometimes this is a good thing; some of the teachers that are still willing to put time in even though they aren’t getting paid for it are the most dedicated people I’ve ever met. Sometimes, and unfortunately I’d say this is the majority of cases, you get people that are there to stroke their own egos or to get something on their resume.

The credits you earn at work do NOT count towards IDP credits until you’ve fulfilled all of the BAC’s credit requirements. For the master’s program, the BAC requires 54 credits, or 5400 hours. You won’t be able to earn credits towards the IDP until you’ve earned those 54 credits for the BAC. In theory, if you find a job when you first start, and work continuously through the program, you can get enough credits to sit for the ARE when you graduate. In practice, with the economy the way it is, this probably won’t actually happen.

Balagan’s comments on the studio experience are entirely true. This isn’t the sort of school where you meet new people and make friends because most are too busy with work and school to do much else. I consider myself lucky if I even remember what class I had with someone, never mind get to know the person.

All in all, I don’t think the BAC is a bad school to go to. If someone rewound time and I had to make the choice to go to the BAC all over again knowing what I know now, I’d still make the same choice. You have to be interested and dedicated in a way most people don’t understand to make it through the curriculum, but I think it’s worth it in the end. And if you've made it through this whole response, then you probably have the patience to make it through the BAC. :p

Aug 24, 10 11:53 am  · 
 · 
backbay

wentworth is 23k

Dec 27, 10 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

I highly suggest/recommend throwing more money at the problem.

Good luck.

Dec 27, 10 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
renoja

Hi I'm currently applying to the BAC and will be moving there from the Seattle area. I have had two years of previous design experience but they were both in non traditional environments. This information has been really helpful to me and I am still very excited about an education at the BAC but I was wondering if there were any current BAC students who could answer my questions about free time, I have some friends in the area and I also snowboard so I was looking mostly at weekend time, how much free time do you guys have? Does it depend on the student?

Dec 19, 11 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

Seeing how this thread was just resurrected, what's going on with the mural on the west facade of the brutalist-style building?

I live a few blocks to the east and see this monstrosity every day on my commute home. It's in a tight competition with the Citgo sign for the title of the biggest eyesore downtown.

Dec 19, 11 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
RTSegerson

This just sent chills down my spine. Im not sure if this will ever be read (as it is a really old thread) but Im literally in the exact same situation as the OP. Im a geology student, hate my major after it became all about the theoretical nonsense (and thus did pretty crappy with my grades), have loved architecture since god knows when, and am going to apply to BAC for next spring. Thanks for the knowledge. Good stuff.

Jan 3, 12 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

There are no longer practice 'credits' at the BAC, but practice hours. Since the issue was double dipping on 'credits', this has satisfied that requirement and every hour you log from the time you enter the school IS elligable for idp credit and has been for some time, maybe 3or 4 semesters already since this change.

Aug 9, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 
tishlicious

I'm currently enrolled at BAC in their Distance Master's of Architecture program with only 2 semesters left before graduation.  My feelings about the school and program is very mixed but I want to give advice to those seriously thinking about enrolling.  A quick background about myself I came from an architecture background going into the program.  I attended Kent State University for my B.S. in Architecture degree which is a very very good architecture school so I came in the program with an advantage I think.  The only reason I didn't attend Kent grad program was due to my twin brother dying during finals so I took the time  to be with family and the school told me to come back the following year.  As fate had it I landed a salary paying job at a firm and didn't want to give it up so I did research and made calls and the BAC was mentioned.  This was a program where I could get an accredited degree as well as keep my job which was a win/win for me.you do have to go to the school as a distance student one a semester for a week for something called Intensive.  The intensive he just that INTENSE! You dont have much time if any to explore the school you will be at BAC 90% of the time the other 10% in the hotel.  You have to submit a portfolio for your submission. The thing is it is open enrollment but based on the quality of the portfolio as well as your previous degree you can come on semester 1 or semester 3 a difference being in school a whole extra year.  I came in as semester 3 there is a total 7 semester is the Distance M arch program.

PROS -

1. You can work while in the program. Teachers are very flexible understanding and easy to talk to if you communicate your issues just don't over do it. 

2. The school is gaining a reputation in a good way IF you graduate.  Firms have heard about the program it's gaining a reputation and emerging.

3. Great location where you can meet great people.  you have farmers markets near by, great restaurants, parks and for the intensive you meet great people.

CONS -

1. For you guys with an architecture background the open enrollment will annoy you.  It feels like your advanced in class with people who are just clueless and only got in because of open enrollment. Some people come in not understanding how rigorous and time consuming our field is.  The Distance M Arch program is mostly if not all people working in firms and that have a background in architecture so this program would be for those with an background seeking a masters or licensing.

2. Will pass anyone for the money. As an online student I get frustrated when a person who never post, never update work or has bad work automatically get through to the next level.  ultimately if hurts the student but it hurts the school as well. it's discouraging and essentially this is an accredited program. I have seen less talented people skate through the program and to be honest it discourages the other students. Hey everyone in this program works, most have children and it's not fair when you can break your back and do good work and get the same grade or a slightly better grade than someone who doesn't care.  Seems like the program being new is just happy to be getting the money that they don't care.

3. You have to have a job!  This is a pro for me personally but some still have problems finding work and lets be honest those with no architecture background unless you have connections you are set up to fail.  I have seen BAC let student go to the next semester with no work so i dont know how strict they are or how they go about making that student complete their work I just know working and school go hand in hand in this program and they dont place you with a job especially if you are a Distance student.

4. tuition is STEEP!  And it sucks because you arent on campus and this can put you in a financial bind.

My final advice if you are someone with an architecture background, already work at an architecture firm with a bachelors and want to go back for your masters to sit for exams THIS IS THE SCHOOL FOR YOU! Most of the time the non architects who think architecture is about drawing pretty pictures will be in for a rude awakening and not make it to the end anyway. The program has gotten better over time and will continue to work out kinks as the years go by but I've only been in the program 2 years and will have my masters soon so its worth it.   For students that don't have an architecture background I just would not waste my time.  The school just wants your money. Yes they accepted you but think about the real world.  If you don't know computer programs like Revit, autocad hell sketchup dont enroll, if you dont have connections with firms or access to a job, dont enroll and realize becoming an architect is more than just your degree.  You need to complete IDP hours and you need  to be full time employee at a firm. 

Jun 26, 15 9:58 am  · 
1  · 
alrightalright

just a correction: risd does offer financial aid first year.

Jun 29, 15 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
nadeemmahran

Hello, I am applying for the IPAL Master of Architecture (onsite) for Fall 2017. 

I do have a background in architecture. I will graduate in June 2017 with (FIVE years) Bachelors degree in architecture and I am willing to pursue licensure.

Regarding the previously mention problems/cons like credits not counting for IDP, and BAC students being out of work. Are these kind of cons still there while the IPAL is introduced?

Sep 5, 16 3:27 am  · 
 · 
media-n

The work coming out of the BAC is awful - even if you look at their graduate showcase, where they take the best projects from their final degree granting studios and the work is simply awful. The best work coming out of the school is bad - the teaching is bad - there is no theory - there is little studio time - the length of the program winds up to providing little savings from a traditional program. If you go to this school it is just a few steps up from ITT Tech. I attended this program and unfortunately spent 3 years and then did a semester as a visiting student to a more traditional program and then I never returned to the BAC staying in the school I was just visiting for a semester. 

Those who graduate from the BAC achieve very little - they are irrelevant to the industry - at the very best, the most successful person is probably the Carol Wedge who is the president of Sheply Bulfinch - but that she is the abnormality - almost everyone who actually gets through the program end up being cad monkeys, construction administrators - and just completely irrelevant to the industry. If you go to the BAC you will have next to no shot at ever becoming anything because the program is truly awful. And I am talking about the best of the best at this school - the best of the best then maybe you can be a cad monkey at a corporate firm. 

A lot of this has to do with the administration - this school is run like a prison - there is no discussion on architecture - no thoughts being explored - nothing. They are very very very very very far behind technically compared to about every other program in the country - this coupled with their lack of studio time and no dedicated studio space further combined with their complete lack of theory and any decent instructors (many of whom are graduates from the program) and you have a disaster. 

If you want to talk about "reputation" - the reputation you will graduate with is simply that you will be a great slave - you won't be asked to think or be given design tasks (because your design skills will be utter garbage) but the industry will know you are a hard worker and will do what you are told... creating door schedules... and you will be good at revit and autocad but you wont be able to do anything in 3d and your work will never be looked at or cared about - because it is bad.

Don't make the mistake too many students do - I know many who have graduated over the past 5 years and still regret every day of their life they attended that program - their only saving grace is they can go to grad school - but if you did Grad at the BAC then your life is set being irrelevant with no shot of doing anything.

Sep 12, 16 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
As an employer in the region, fairly unimpressed w the ability of BAC students. I'd take skilled CAD monkeys, but they aren't that good, so can't hire them.
Sep 13, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
arcdesi

A point that many BAC students seem to bring up is that they are oh so busy, that the program is so difficult and coupled with the work atmosphere they are doing things most students at other programs could not do.

I disagree very much with this, having attended the BAC for a couple semester doing a studio and working full time, when I transitioned to a more traditional program I found that more traditional programs are more demanding especially at the more elite schools. At the more elite schools you will spend more time on studio then you will working full time while at the BAC... and it goes without saying your work will be at a much more advanced level than anything you would do at the BAC.

I just find it funny that always BAC students think they are special snowflakes, that they are tough and or something, that they are trailblazers and their work commitment is second to none. I am not trying to bash on a whole student body, I just want to point out that that isn't the case and the students at the BAC tend to be a bit lazier than what you would find in traditional programs - they like to fall back on work as a reason they spent only 20 minutes on studio work a week.

Sep 16, 16 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
OH my, who teaches at the BAC? Richard Balkins?
Sep 16, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
arcdesi

Somebody even worse - Richard Griswold

Sep 16, 16 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
In not sure it's physically possible to be worse than Balkins.
Sep 16, 16 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
The BAC used to be a school where people ended up due to various life circumstances. It is a second chance school. It's not a place you go if you can afford both time and money (and if you're local, relocation) at a more traditional program.

it was historically a program where your drafting or admin support staff could gain the education necessary to become a licensed architect - back when firms where still hiring vocational tech and high school grads.

Unfortunately now The marketplace is flooded with grads from traditional arch programs (often from well-off backgrounds and can afford to work for minimum or no wage) and you need a college degree just to work in the mail room. I understand they've jacked up their tuition and are going after international students who want to gain work experience in the US. The new reality has hurt their mission and I'm not sure if they can ever regain their place as a school of opportunity for the disadvantaged.

It's upsetting to read the elitism here, though. Of course if you spend all day working on studio you are going to do better studio work, but that is not what that school is. It's supposed to be an educational resource for the regional architecture industry, they shouldn't be competing with traditional programs.
Sep 17, 16 7:49 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Plz have thes grads from traditional programs who work for nothing send resumes to gruen. Cannot even get resumes, much less people w skills.
Sep 17, 16 8:01 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Cannot even get resumes, much less people w skills

Bide your time.  Another recession is coming any day now.

Sep 17, 16 9:27 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Yeah but then I won't need them lol.
Sep 17, 16 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
ced1

I want to ask about the Creative Exercise. Kindly share your experiences those already enrolled at BAC, how you got through with that exercise. 

Oct 30, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
JoelSoleski

I'm currently enrolled in my second year at a architectural technologies program at st clair college in canada. My school and BAC recently made this partnership that allows students from the st clair program to transfer their 3 years worth of credits to BAC to further their studies into becoming a licensed architect. I was just wondering if this program offered at BAC is a good one, and if i graduate, will i have many opportunities to become relevant in the field, and not just a cad monkey. or does it even matter where you get ur architectural licence, as long as you have it, you'll start at the same level in a firm as any would and have to work your way up?

thanks from ur lostboy

Jan 28, 18 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

have you not read the posts above? Also, why pay us tuition in a bottom tier school when you could simply apply to one in canada where tuition is virtually free?

Jan 28, 18 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

I was just wondering if this program offered at BAC is a good one

it absolutely is not. this is architecture's university of phoenix.

Jan 29, 18 11:34 am  · 
 · 
archinine
^agreed. The only people who know of it's existence are on the east coast and the reputation therein is far from positive.
Jan 29, 18 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Medians

^ IT IS BY FAR THE WORST SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE - It is truly terrible from your fellow student body to the teaching staff - it is impossible to exaggerate how bad the entire school is, it is the laughing stock of the industry along with everyone who comes out of the program - run far far away.

Apr 12, 18 10:19 am  · 
 · 
jungle

This thread is hilarious. I have a totally dissenting opinion. 

Working in Boston, I know (and work with) a few BAC grads who are excellent architects and designers. Current students are hit or miss, but on average our BAC interns are more useful than our MIT interns over the course of a summer. Graduating from that program is more difficult than graduating from most traditional architecture schools as the students work full time. There is lots of critical discussion happening at that school, interesting lectures, and young, ambitious GSD talent looking for grad school, I stopped by to see the recent Thom Mayne lecture and it was really ineresting. The school's facilities are also not too bad, two CNC routers, six 3d printers, colored plotters/scanners galore... not super high end but still better than abysmal resources of neighboring 60k/year Northesatern.

The program has its drawbacks, sure, but this school gets an abnormal amount of hate because of disgruntled students, like the ones posting in this thread.

Apr 12, 18 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Bench
“but on average our BAC interns are more useful than our MIT interns”

Yeah.
Naw.
Sounds like you’re on the kool-aid.
Apr 13, 18 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hold on there... usefulness was not defined. They could be more useful at getting coffee, or copy-pasting details, or as ballast in a freight ship.

Apr 13, 18 11:24 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Useful for exploitation since when you have "architecture" on your degree you expect nothing, but those damned engineers actually think they should receive money from the mother art.

Apr 13, 18 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
I'm not a robot

I usually like BAC grads (tho, we are pretty selective about the ones we hire) - they're hard working and aren't pretentious or entitled. They know they went to a mediocre program so they tend to work twice as hard to prove themselves. I like paring GSD and BAC grads together on projects because the moment that GSD grad realizes someone from "the BAC" is showing them up they get in line really fast.

Apr 13, 18 11:35 pm  · 
1  · 
Oulipo

I just spent the last thirty minutes reading through the discussion on this site and reviews on others, and as a person who was just accepted to BAC, this has gotten me concerned. I was accepted to the Sustainable Design online Masters program. Generally (and perhaps optimistically) speaking, it looks like the grads from the online programs had much more positive experiences than those who attended at the undergrad level in architecture. I was wondering if anyone here could speak to this in any way? 

How was your experience as an online student, and if you have a paid position now, what are you doing? Perhaps most importantly, do you think this degree pulls its weight in the field of sustainability? I’m not interested in becoming an architect. I’m hoping to pivot this degree into a sustainability consultant position and need something in my background to make it work.

TLDR; Are things any different now that BAC fired their president in 2015?

May 1, 18 8:32 pm  · 
1  · 
ClassOf96

Oulipo, did you continue in the program?

I’m actively applying to the BAC for an online MArch right now!

I have ten+ years architecture experience, a non accredited undergrad architecture degree, an MFA, and ten years time running an art gallery... now I’m back in architecture, happy about it, like coming home! Plus, all the early years are past and over! 

I’m ready to become licensed but I need an MArch and I can’t not work! This program seems ideal for a student like me. 

I am certainly concerned with the level of experience and design commitment, why, I’ve taught undergrad architecture studio myself! I encouraged my students to take their study in their own hands. Learning is not given to you, it is yours to reap. Education is a misleading concept - it takes active participation! 

Would love to hear current news! Thanks!

Sep 25, 18 6:54 am  · 
 · 
oliviapellegrini

hear hear

Dec 28, 19 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
athensarch

What concerns me about the BAC is the time to complete the program. Each of my 3 classmates from undergrad who went there instead of opting for the 5th year MArch still aren't licensed...7 years later after we finished undergrad together. Most of my classmates who did the 5th year MArch are.

The principals at my old firm had a decent opinion of BAC grads. We had a PA from there and a current associate. They seemed to know what they're doing. 

Sep 27, 18 1:12 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

Well considering that the local CC has a better more well rounded curriculum that actually teaches, drafting, scheduling and code/permitting than all the big name expensive degrees which consist of 5 years of making a really nice over thought preliminary design presentation board....

Sep 27, 18 3:07 pm  · 
2  · 
oliviapellegrini

BAC are known for their acceptance of diverse thinkers and self driven architects. Choose wisely because they take in a wide applicant pool.

Dec 28, 19 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
insanityplea

I've read through all the comments, grateful for everyone's willingness to comment, share, and relate over the years. I've been accepted to BAC, it's now 2023, has anything changed drastically, or is the situation about the same?

Mar 17, 23 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
captainjack99

I graduated in May of 2022 with a Bachelor's of Environmental Design from Texas A&M University, and have been working for a small firm in Texas ever since graduation. I've completed more than half of my AXP hours, but want to go back to school to get an accredited degree for licensure. I am married with a son making an entry-level designer salary, so going back to school physically while not working just isn't feasible for me. When I saw that the BAC offered the online IPAL program and encourages working full-time, it looked like the perfect option for me. Can anyone give more info as to what to expect for the workload? How many hours did you have to put in on a weekly basis? Does your tuition cover the cost of traveling to Boston for the week-long in-person thing? Any further info on this program is appreciated, especially with regard to how it is perceived. I'm meeting with an advisor next week to ask questions but it's their job to sell me on joining, so I would like more feedback from people who have gone.

May 12, 23 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
LAPERLA

Hello, I was just accepted into the BAC for their online Master of Interior Architecture program. As it being 2024, I wanted to follow up on this thread to see if there are any new opinions/experiences to be shared? 

Also, I have considered doing the M. Arch program once I graduate from the Interior Design program. Putting cost aside, do you think this plan of having the 2 degrees could serve me professionally?

I look foward to hearing form some or all of you!

Mar 18, 24 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: