Archinect
anchor

Digital portfolio in the future

jmiksatko

Hello,

I'm writting an assignment about portfolios in architecture and I'd love to know what do you think it will be great to see in portfolios in the future. In my minds are rotatign 3D models, but my head is little bit closed in this way. What do you think?

Thanks

Jan M.

Apr 24, 14 1:25 pm

I'm writing an assignment about doing assignments on internet forums. 

Apr 24, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

VR glasses

Apr 24, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
jmiksatko

@Miles Jaffe

Not everyone is so smart as you. ;)

Apr 24, 14 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I think widely adapted 3D rotated models in portfolios are a while off.   3D PDFs have been around for a few years but I've never seen one in the wild for many reasons.  First the technological reasons: Most portfolios/pdfs are sent via email so the file size is limited.  I think the whole email paradigm would have to be overhauled and cloud based (ala Google Wave [RIP]).  Maybe there will be another document standard to come about.  HTML5 Based?  Creating a portfolio could be like creating a Windows 8 App (project Siena)? 

Then there is still the "I have to print this" sentiment by the luddites and so tablets/eReaders would have to be ubiquitous first.  

Finally, the tremendous amount of work one would have to do to create a good embedded 3D model.  Designers slave away at creating the perfect view that sells their idea which is difficult to convey in a 3D model. 

If I had to guess at what the near future portfolios will look like, I'd guess they might be moving away from just PDFs and going towards websites.  Hand a link and off one goes to view your portfolio.  Recently, I have noticed quite a lot of folks have a squarespace or cargo collective portfolio as a supplement.  (I too have my own web-based portfolio but it's more of an experiment with web technologies and I don't ever hand out it's address)  It's be nice to imagine applying to grad school and giving a link to one's website and not having to freak out over paper size and 2mb file sizes.  But there is less control, how to you tell people to keep it to 12 pages? and do they allow Javascript? Java? Flash?  But then tools like squarespace have to be developed by software devs because of the vast knowledge that it takes to create a website correctly (there's a career just around that :P)

I kind of rambled and came up with ideas as I went along haha

Apr 24, 14 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
jmiksatko

@SpatialSojourner

Thank you very much, interesting thinking :)

Apr 26, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: