Archinect
anchor

Job opportunities in SF and also Reg: H1b sponsorship

Gemarch

Hi guys,

This is Meghana and I live in San Jose, CA. I have done my Undergrad From India and recently moved to San Jose like 8 months back. I have worked in India for about 3 years. I am currently on H4 (Dependent) visa. I have applied for universities here in CA in order to pursue my masters degree (fall 2014).

I got into CCA- MAAD Program  as well as USC- MAAS prog. I am really worried about the job scenario in SF after my graduation. Being an International student, I heard getting an H1B visa sponsorship from a firm is really difficult. As the tuition fee for both the universities are way too expensive, I am having a hard time to decide.

I also got into UC. Berkeley summer program. I heard that after finishing summer program from Berkeley, It is easy to get into the graduate program.. How far is it true?? Because in that case I would rather wait for an year and apply for berkeley graduate program.

As I am new to the city, I would really appreciate if you guys could help me through this and put in your suggestions.

Thank you,

Meghana.B

Apr 23, 14 4:26 pm
medinanoori

Hi Meghana, 

I got admitted into UC Berkeley's IN[ARCH] institute today. Will you be attending? I am trying to research more about the program and get in contact with other students. 

Thanks!

M

Apr 23, 14 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Gemarch

Hi Medina,

Its nice to hear from you. Yes, I am planning to attend the summer program IN[ARCH]ADV .

Apr 23, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
empea
Once admitted to the course you should apply to get an F1 visa instead of the H4. That way once you've been enroled for 9 months you're eligible for OPT - optional practical training which is work authorization for 12 months. During that time ideally you work for someone who then applies for the h1b for you the following year.
Apr 23, 14 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

hire your own immigration attorney for the h1b: gives you more control over the process and helps firms avoid the hassle (and cost ~$5k)

Apr 24, 14 11:25 am  · 
 · 
empea
You can't self petition for an h1b. You can certainly hire and pay your own lawyer but the firm is the petitioner not you.
Apr 24, 14 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: