Archinect
anchor

UK MArch Offers

natashagunaratna

Hey guys, so I plan to do RIBA Part 2 and I've so far put in my application for Oxford Brookes, Kent University and UCL and now waiting for confirmation (or not)- I got a offer from Ox. Brookes, and Kent in around a week or so
But Ive set my eyes on UCL-I'm just contemplating what the job opportunities are like in UK for architects atm, because I hear its more likely your offered a good position/pay if you get out of the 'ivy' schools such as AA or UCL
But I'm also an extremely motivated and determined student and then again nothing comes easy!
But ive also heard thats not true? These 2 months are life-changing so fingers crossed! 

Apr 22, 14 10:43 pm
TED

If you haven't been interviewed yet at the Bartlett and its been over 2 months, not a good sign. 

Good thing about the 2 year programmes, you can work FT with your student visa for anyone between year 1-2 so that is the time to prove yourself.  Bigger-medium firms tend to sponsor visas so if you're very good should be not a problem - but if I remember you had an interior background/degree? You are up against stiff competition.  

If you haven't worked professionally, most students in part II programmes have done a full year practice experience.

All three schools show grad employability +90% after graduation - its only up to you.

Apr 24, 14 7:23 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

fyi:

The 'Ivy' League is a collegiate athletic conference comprising sports teams from eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States. The conference name is also commonly used to refer to those eight schools as a group.[2] The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University.

The term became official after the formation of the NCAA Division I athletic conference in 1954.[3] The use of the phrase is no longer limited to athletics, and now represents an educational philosophy inherent to the nation's oldest schools.[4] Seven of the eight schools were founded during the United States colonial period; the exception is Cornell, which was founded in 1865. Ivy League institutions, therefore, account for seven of the nine Colonial Colleges chartered before the American Revolution.

Ivy League schools are viewed as some of the most prestigious, and are ranked among the best universities worldwide.[5] All eight Ivy League institutions place within the top twenty of the U.S. News & World Report 2014 university rankings, including the top four schools and six of the top ten.[6]

The Ivies are all in the Northeast region of the United States. Each school receives millions of dollars in research grants and other subsidies from federal and state government.

Locations of Ivy League universities

Undergraduate enrollments among the Ivy League schools range from about 4,000 to 14,000,[7] making them larger than those of a typical private liberal arts college and smaller than a typical public state university. Overall enrollments range from approximately 6,100 in the case of Dartmouth to over 20,000 in the case of Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, and Penn. Ivy League university financial endowments range from Brown's $2.7 billion to Harvard's $32.3 billion,[8] the largest financial endowment of any academic institution in the world.[9]

Apr 24, 14 8:41 am  · 
 · 
natashagunaratna

Hi @TED
Yeah! I realised that so far I haven't recieved a reply from them-but I did get a 6 month paid internship to go to Beijing to work for MAD architects. Then after that I plan to do 6 months work based experience in a architectural firm-maybe after that I will apply for the Bartlett intake in September 2015 or I might even apply to America (Yale, Columbia,etc) good schools for architecture-at the moment I'm in no rush as I'm doing lots of side projects and collaborations so hopefully that will pull up my chances for ivy grad schools.

May 13, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
natashagunaratna

Oops I forgot to mention @TED -Its only been 13 days since I put my application 
So I don't know what is happening with it at the moment but the deadline for international students is June 27th 
But if I get contacted its a good sign and even if I dont -also a good sign
Always room for improvement!

May 13, 14 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
natashagunaratna

@TED and @accesskb 
Got an email to send my portfolio and if sucessful I get an interview!
Fingers crossed-doing something very unconventional and hope that they get interested!

May 21, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: