Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Feedback - Before I send it out

Hello,

I'm a recent architecture graduate ( 6 years ) from Romania and I'm currently planning on moving to another EU country, in order to get the 2 year required experience to get my architect license in Romania.

Thus I've been working for the past 3 months on my website and the last 2 weeks I've spent working on a pdf portfolio sample, since I've noticed that some companies I'm targeting requires a pdf portfolio,although the required size is around 5mb and my portfolio is 88mb.

All that being said, it would be amazing if someone could provide some feedback before I send it out via e-mail, I'm currently targeting the top firms, but don't know if my portfolio is up to the standard since I have a vague idea about what they are looking for.

Here's the PDF portfolio sample:

http://issuu.com/razvangradinar/docs/architecture_portfolio_gradinar_raz

Thank you in advance!

G.R.

Apr 22, 14 1:00 pm

Anyone?

Apr 23, 14 7:38 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

really nice and well executed school projects.  Its refreshing to see a portfolio with school projects that consists of nice technical drawings and not just fancy renderings.  There is a good balance in your portfolio - enough descriptions, research, diagrams, renderings and technical drawings.  I see too many portfolios where people include plans of every floor, elevations, multiple sections from one project which all look fairly identical, don't explain much and just take up space. You should not have trouble finding work as you could fit in with any firm right away. 

Only feed back I can give is I do not like all the harsh colours and dark contrasts you've used but that is just a personal preference. :D  The colors are kinda offensive to me and all seem to be screaming for attention but its still easy to read.  I'd have preferred something much calmer and softer like watercolor paintings.

Apr 23, 14 8:50 am  · 
 · 

Thank you so much for providing feedback, it's always refreshing to see other peoples perspective regarding your work. I really appreciate the lengthy feedback you provided and regarding the dark contrasts, that's kinda my style, I usually aim to get things "pop out" or as you've described it "screaming for attention" :D.

My main concern was that I might have not included enough conceptual sketches or enough projects,or maybe too much technical stuff, but based on what you've mentioned that concern has been put to rest.

Thank you again for taking the time, I really appreciate it !

Apr 23, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
square

takes self promotion to a new level.

you have good work, let it speak for itself. no need to sell yourself by explicitly telling the reader how good you are, your life story, etc. 

architectural portfolios are about displaying your architectural work, period. readers will be able to infer your skill level based on the projects you show; it is much more convincing than telling them you are good.

I also agree with the above comment about toning down some of the colors and contrasts.

Apr 23, 14 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Thank you Square for the feedback, the main idea behind the "life story",etc is that I wanted to make them easier for them to get all the key info since they probably go through a lot of portfolios each day so having that info might speed things up for them.

I will take your feedback into consideration, and probably will remove those aspects from the portfolio.

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Apr 23, 14 11:46 am  · 
 · 

There are lots of good things in your portfolio.

There is a good balance between technical drawings and graphics in your portfolio, although, as previously said by square and accesskb, the colors and contrast are striking.

I have really enjoyed the 3D sections and floor plans from your projects. This kind of floor plan presentation is always refreshing.

Regarding the issue of size for the portfolio, you could use Adobe InDesign to export it. It has multiple options for export size. For the online portfolio you can use a mid-resolution export rather than the one for the print, although the 88Mb file can be viewed with no problems on ISSUU.

Your portfolio has good quality work presented and I think you will have little problems in finding work. As a "plus" (not a "must"), you can add an resume with your previous experiences (education, work experience, achievements, etc.) and some drawings/sketches if they are scanned at good resolution and relevant to the project.

Interesting thread started, hope it catches momentum. I am thinking of starting a similar one to get feedback on my works. You can never know what one can recommend on improving.

Radu

Apr 24, 14 2:00 am  · 
 · 

Thank you Radu for the in depth feedback, regarding the size, some companies want to attach a pdf version via their website so don't know if providing a link to the issuu portfolio instead of attaching a pdf version would be an issue, but hopefully via the InDesign tip you mentioned I will manage to get it down to the required size.

Regarding the CV, it will be attached as a different pdf to the e-mail  I'm planning on sending, alongside a cover letter, if it's required. 

All that being said, thank you again for the feedback Radu, really appreciate it!

Apr 24, 14 6:55 am  · 
 · 

bump

Apr 26, 14 7:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: