Archinect
anchor

Pratt vs UCLA vs SCI-Arc for M.Arch

I have posted a similar topic to this before but have since narrowed down my choices and also become less certain of where I want to go.

To me it seems that of these three schools Pratt and SCI-Arc are more digital design/aesthetic oriented vs UCLA which has a somewhat more well rounded program. The main draw of Pratt to me is location, especially in regards to where I would like to be for jobs after and during school.

The thing that draws me to the LA school is that I feel they have slightly better name reputation as well as faculty. How much does this matter in a graduate program?

Anyone else trying to make the same decision? Or any current students able to give some insight?

Thanks!!

Apr 21, 14 1:21 pm
ROB4

Im pretty sure they are all digital design oriented, all are pushing the boundaries in that respect.  Where you want to end up working should probably weigh in your choice, you just get more connections through the schools networking area.

Both La schools have great faculty, not sure about Pratt.  Try to look at the curirculums if you havent already see which might interest you the most. 

I know that UCLA has the 2 building construction classes, and Sci-arc has design build opportunities like the Solar decathlon if your interested in actually building something. 

Apr 21, 14 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
arifj

ROB4,

Thank you for your reply! I agree that all the schools are pushing the digital design boundaries. My impression from the work was that UCLA was a little more balanced but really only in the sense that I was comparing it to two other heavy design schools.

I am mainly interested in a design-oriented program but the structures classes are appealing to me. However, Pratt kind of won me over with the fact they do have a Comprehensive Architecture Project in the 4th semester which seems pretty good about having students create a strong set of detailed construction drawings. 

Do you guys think that of the three schools there is one that is the absolute, clear "better school"? I understand that is sort of a naive way to view schools, but I'm just wondering if that is the case with this group of schools. 

Apr 21, 14 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

The cds in Pratt's curiculum sounds cool, however you will have the opportunity to do that in the real world. But I think sci-arc has something similar. http://www.sciarc.edu/course.php?id=55&category2=0

But if I had to choose the best school of the three , UCLA , then Sci-arc, then Pratt. 

Apr 21, 14 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
batman

i would choose UCLA.

its a good balance.

PRATT is too designy.

SCI ARC is too architecture.

UCLA - you get both.  youll probably have a better college experience too. its a big college with big school spirit if you care about those things.

Apr 21, 14 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

UCLA , a quote from someone visiting their open house

" Some loved it. They liked that the quarter system allowed them to produce LOTS of work, things were fast paced, they had lots for put in their portfolios. Others said that the school had bad studio culture (which makes sense to me when going to studio might mean being stuck in traffic for an hour), but others said it varies a lot per class."

Not sure about the studio culture but maybe Batman has a different repsonse. 

Apr 21, 14 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
arifj

That all makes sense. My impression was also that UCLA is probably the more balanced of all my options. Plus it has solid faculty and reputation. I'm very drawn to the idea of having 9 studios of work and thesis rather than the 6 at Pratt or 4+Thesis at SCI-Arc. 

However, New York is a big draw for me when it comes to Pratt. I really wasn't sold on LA when I visited. However, that being said, it might be foolish to turn down a better program simply because of that. 

Apr 22, 14 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

All 3 schools are pretty even and good so you can't go wrong with either one.

Apr 22, 14 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: