Archinect
anchor

Bringing in full grown trees into greenhouses/buildings?

fields

Can anyone enlighten me as to how are full grown trees brought into greenhouses?

More specifically I was looking at the California Academy of Science by Renzo Piano and was wondering if they built the biodome around those tall trees or they brought the trees in at a later stage?

And if it was brought in at a later stage, how did they fit it in???

Apr 19, 14 3:51 pm
curtkram

i'm not that familiar with the tree you're talking about.  however, they have big truck things that can move large trees

wrap up the root ball and prune the branches, then a fairly big tree could be carried through a door.  typically it's preferable to move a smaller tree and let it grow big on it's own.

Apr 19, 14 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Tree spade
Apr 20, 14 6:45 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

Cranes :)

its how they got these guys into the French national library by Perrault:

Apr 20, 14 10:02 am  · 
 · 
fields

OK, but those environments are open to the air so I can see these huge trucks being able to bring them in.

I should have attached a photo (this being an architectural forum and all...)

I'm talking about enclosed biodomes like this:

How....does.....it.....fit?

or

say if I wanted to place a realllly really huge ass tree, would I need to first embed the tree and then build around it?

Apr 21, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
fields

Seems like i can only edit my post once..

say for argument's sake my design incorporates a full grown giant sequoia in the middle of an enclosed lobby of a building.

Apr 21, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

first off, you probably cant relocate a giant sequoia...the roots on that thing will go down a hundred feet.  its way too heavy of a tree to relocate without replanting the deep roots that give it structural footing...roots are typically as deep as the tree is tall.

also a sequoia will not do well indoors.   fog accounts for a big part of the trees' water needs.  They pull fog from the air...

Also that would probably create fire safety issues...you essentially creating a space with a huge vertical element between floors that is very very flammable...

Apr 21, 14 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
fields

wow thats so very practical of you. but thats not the point of my question....

so lets redirect my question to fitting those trees into the dome at the california academy of sciences, how did they do it?

Apr 21, 14 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'm not seeing many very big trees in your picture, inside the dome.  what i would really like to see is master blaster in there, but i don't really have time to photoshop.

they could build the dome frame and such, then drag the tree in, with the building enclosed, set it in place, then install the glass.  trees don't have to be carried upright.  also, foliage tends to grow fairly fast on trees, so you could cut most of the branches off and let them grow back.  still probably smarter to bring in a smaller tree and let it grown into a big tree.

if it's a professor asking you, just tell him architects aren't responsible for means and methods.

Apr 21, 14 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Hormones and fertilizers.

Apr 21, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

here is a you-tube of what i think is an 18' evergreen that was pulled through a door and set inside a building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFTWv4SY8Y

THANKS OBAMA

Apr 21, 14 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

there are many species that will do fine indoors...just warning you that if you say its a full grown sequoia you will get torn a new asshole in review...lol

As for that tree in the Academy of Science building...it was probably brought in prior to the front glass façade being installed...It was likely planted before the dome was constructed...wouldn't make sense the other way around.  Is this for a studio project?

Apr 21, 14 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

Brobama for the win.

Apr 21, 14 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
fields

Yupperz its for my studio project. You got a good point about indoor plants being multi-storey combustion pillars lol. (puts that into the building-regs report!)

Apr 23, 14 7:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: