Archinect
anchor

college

nelsonsmith619

Hi, I am an active duty soldier looking to get into the architectural feild but do not know where to go to college any suggestions?

Apr 18, 14 10:29 am
x intern

I don't think anyone could answer this question beyond recommending where they went but I will say having come from active duty army and completed architecture school in 2008 take a close look at cost of living.  The new GI bill is different than what I used, so the amount you get per month is adjusted for your location but you will probably make out better in a place with a reasonable cost of living.  In my opinion in architecture school what you learn is as much your responsibility as the schools. Any major University with an accredited program is probably about as good as another in the grand scheme of things. There are different type of programs though, some more design based others more technical.  You only get one clean shot at your selection though so do your homework.  Once you make your selection change your residency to the state you want to attend (you can do this once while on active duty)  I recommend University of Oklahoma.  

Apr 18, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Like @robbmc said, as long as you choose an accredited program, you should be good.  For more information on NAAB accredited programs, look here:

http://www.naab.org/r/schools/search.aspx

As a personal preference, I liked being near my family.  Architecture school can be very stressful, and having a good support system is important.  Good luck.

Apr 21, 14 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Design Intelligence report is a good place to start. Knowing which aspect of design you want to get into will also thoroughly help. Whether it be sustainability/construction etc. The report specifies which are the most successful in that field. 

However, this book is not the be all or end all, the results are slightly behind the trend, and reflect results from several years ago according to the movement and flow of graduate students. 

Apr 24, 14 3:04 am  · 
 · 

Hey glad to hear that. Architecture is a wonderful field, but the course work is rigorous and very energy consuming. I think that like @jdparnell1218 mentioned, being close to family in terms of support is one of the best ways to go. Those late nights in studio will have you stressed, and sometimes just being able to see your family and friends on the weekend is all you need to go at it again the next week. 

Before jumping into Architecture, I think its important to know whats ahead of you in terms of getting your license. 

Feel free to check out my article containing the process, and requirements with the appropriate links attached.

Path to Licensure: Architect

Its not meant to scare you away, but I think its best that you are aware what you will be required to do to legally call yourself an Architect.

Apr 27, 14 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: