Archinect
anchor

Dilemma for an international student. HELP

WilsonWu

It's been a long time  for me the consider if I should keep pursuing architecture as a profession or not. And I really want to hear experiences from you guys.

First, I am a freshmen student studying architecture in a B.S degree, and I really enjoy it and love it.

The thing is, every time I saw comments in the forum like "unpaid jobs" "useless degree", I would just ignore it. But when nearly 80% of the comments about architect as a profession are negative(some extremely negative), I started to reconsider my decision. Some might say that if you hesitate, then you should not study it. But come on let's face the truth, if you really love a profession, but hear tons of negative opinions that you will never get enough compensation for what you paid, you are pissed off, are you? 

Plus I am an international student and really want to learn knowledge and maybe stay in this country in the future(let us be HONEST).

I changed a lot after hunting information about this profession. 

A short question :"something you love? Or something with high income"

You may say that I am “utilitarian”, but I hope you can understand me.

You are studying, I am gambling,

You may study for a degree, i am studying for my future.

Thank you so much !

Apr 18, 14 12:44 am
accesskb

Hey.. let's face it.. Many of us entered Architecture with little clue what it was really about.  We all thought we could become starchitects someday, build and own skyscrapers, condos, properties but that is not the truth xD  Luckily, you have the internet to educate yourself on this profession and other professions.  Some of us didn't even have the internet a decade or so ago.

With that, there are a lot of people working in this industry.  You're probably only seeing a small fraction of them in this forum and complaining about this profession.  A large chunk of them are too busy working :)

Apr 18, 14 2:15 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

WilsonWu - let it be known that you do risk the chance of not finding a job in the US and being forced to go elsewhere.  As an American citizen it took me 6 months of sending out resumes every day to find my first job.  Its more difficult for an international student.

That being said, I've seen people much more prepared than I jump right into the workforce out of school.  All I want to point out is that there is a very real risk that you will have to leave the country (I've known international students that did).  If you can accept that and you really love architecture, then stick with it.  If you get another degree, it might be hard to find a job as well, but some degrees seem to be much easier to make it in than others.

Apr 18, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 
WilsonWu

@grneggandsam 

Thank you, your reply is reasonable and helpful.

Apr 18, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
WilsonWu

@grneggandsam 

Does a M. Arch degree make difference?

Apr 18, 14 11:35 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

@ WilsonWu

Not sure - my school didn't offer one.  The school you go to / program could make a difference, but for I suspect its still a risk with any program.

Apr 18, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: