Archinect
anchor

jobs in the art world

Oonaknuj

Are there any people here who have gone into working in the art world after getting their M Arch? Perhaps as an Exhibitions Designer or a Curator or Creative Director?

Care to share your story? Were there extra things you did or focused on in grad school to better prepare yourself for those positions? 

Apr 17, 14 6:57 pm
Oonaknuj

No one here has gone into working in museums or galleries or ad agencies after getting their m. arch?

Apr 18, 14 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

i'm sure there are but they're too busy to even surf this forum and probably don't even care it exists

Apr 18, 14 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Oonaknuj

oh cool.

Apr 19, 14 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I think making a transition into a fine art position with a M-Arch would be pretty difficult.  

First of all, most curatorial positions are filled with people with art history degrees, masters or phd, and my understanding is they are very competitive.  There is a lot of nepotism, a "who you know, where you went to school" thing in the art world, which makes it difficult for outsiders to get in.  They are also fairly insular.  There is a definite movement within fine art circles to not associate themselves with "design", which would also make it hard for an architect to switch over without getting the proper education first.  

I know there is some overlap in the exhibition design field, but that may or may not be highly controlled by the curatorial staff or artist at whatever institution or gallery you would be working in.  I know Gehry designed a handful of exhibitions in the 80's and is still doing some stuff at LACMA today, but that is just throwing a starchitect into the mix to try to increase the appeal of an artists work, which can stand on its own without some hokey architect getting involved.  

The creative director thing is a whole other path, depending on what area of direction you would want to get into (ads, print media, film, animation, whatever).  You would have to narrow it down and figure out how to start at the bottom in a company that specializes in the work you are interested in and work your way up.  

If you are really interested in these fields, figure out what you would really like to do and start making decisions to move in that direction.  Ask people in those fields what they did to get where they are.

Apr 19, 14 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Oonaknuj

It seems that with exhibit and environmental design, degrees in either architecture or industrial design are preferred, if not required. does anyone here work in these fields? are there certain M Arch programs that are more suited to someone who is interested in going into exhibit design? if so, what are they?

Apr 19, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

There's no conventional pathway (especially for Archi grad ) for what you have asked I'm afraid.
Have a look at what this guy has done to get what he's at now ....a Curator of Contemporary Architecture and Urbanism at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London.  I had him as one of the crit panels once, still in his early 30's , well-read man, and very smart.

www.roryhyde.com

Apr 19, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: