Archinect
anchor

Should I become an architect?

rjee_

So that's the question. Should I or should I not? Architecture is the only think I like and I truly love it, that's what I always wanted to do but many people discourage me saying there is no jobs and the salary is awful. Many support that Computer Engineering is a really good career for me to pursue. However I still have the dream of studying architecture and I don't plan to give up. Any thoughts? 

Apr 17, 14 11:46 am
drums please, Fab?

it is your destiny!

Apr 17, 14 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
Major in architecture, minor in computer engineering. It's going to be hell trying to do MP's and studio work but at the end of you can't find a job, or just don't like architecture anymore, you can easily find a job programming. Then you could choose to get your masters in architecture or computer science (MCS not MSCS) or both! I know university of illinois offered a joint degree in grad school
Apr 17, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

I think I would need to know something about you to answer that question:  Are you a leader, or are you a follower?

If you are a follower and do computer science you be holed up in a cubical doing a very boring job making tons of money.

If you are a follower in architecture you will be holed up in a cubical doing a very boring job making next to nothing.

If you are a leader in computer science you will join a startup doing fascinating work immediately out of school and make a mediocre income until it takes off.

If you are a leader in Architecture, you will be holed up in a cubical doing a very boring job making next to nothing for many years until you finally climb the ladder, get a license and find a way to get into a position to prove yourself.  it will take. a. long. time.

Apr 17, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

If all you can think about is becoming an architect, then maybe that's what you ought to pursue. Just be aware that the profession is fraught with real difficulties (low wages, long hours, slow career progress, inept bosses, frustrating clients, liability exposure, etc.) that are not likely to improve much in the foreseeable future. However, if you can recognize, and accept, those difficulties and still cannot see yourself doing anything other than architecture, go for it. 

Despite all the difficulties mentioned here and elsewhere, many people still have productive and rewarding careers as architects. Perhaps those people could do better economically and work shorter hours doing other work, but they'd probably hate their jobs.

Good luck.

Apr 17, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If you are a leader in Architecture, you will be holed up in a cubical doing a very boring job making next to nothing for many years until you finally climb the ladder, get a license and find a way to get into a position to prove yourself.

Then you will make next to next to nothing.

Apr 17, 14 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
rjee_

apapaz

you mean that I can graduate with a degree in architecture and then do a master in computer science? can you collaborate on this aspect please?

Apr 17, 14 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

go for computer science first lol

Apr 17, 14 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

No.

Apr 17, 14 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You know the situation is bad when Architecture is grouped with Political Science, Anthropology, Information Systems, Film/Video/Photography Arts as 'Dead end degrees that will get you nowhere' and you read similar articles every other week or so.

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/dead_end_degrees.htm?kid=1O217

That's not to say that one cannot make a good career in architecture though.  You really have to be honest with yourself and ask if you're passionate about it, don't mind the low pay, long hours and will stick to the very end.  If your only concern is making a comfortable living, you might be better off in another field.  There are risks and demands getting into this profession and return is low and slow.  Not to say that other professions are easy and don't require long stressful hours etc, but other professions pay well atleast :)

Apr 17, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

I know M.Arch grads who are working at Intel right now, and some who worked at Autodesk.  There is overlap between the two fields.  You can look at programming with parametric design (too many examples to name.. look at the grasshopper plugin for rhino, arduino and python), the way that technology interacts with users in space (Kennedy & Violich and Phillip Beasley come to mind, among others) or the way that we use technology to influence design decisions (BIM, 3D scanning, digital fabrication, etc.).

Architecture school does not necessarily mean you become an architect.  For example, there is a series on Archinect about people who are "working out of the box": http://archinect.com/features/tag/1149/working-out-of-the-box.

Sure, programming is the new/hip/profitable thing to do right now, but there are people in that field, too, who can't get a job.  If fresh architecture grads are at 20% unemployment, statistically you just have to be better than 1/5th of other students graduating when you do, right?

You can compare that to the 5% unemployment for computer sciences (I didn't look up stats, I'm guessing), sure, and maybe you're more likely to have a job that pays you well.  If you were to assume that you are the definition of average... 50th percentile, and will be employed at the average salary in either field, which would you rather do with your life?

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that in several years (if it isn't already the case)  there will be as many Code Monkeys in that field as CAD monkeys in this one...

Apr 17, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

Hey rjee,

Many people have been in the same position as you at one point in time. Like many have said, make sure you will be committed to it because when studio starts, and the workload starts to pick up, you'll need to remember why you're doing what you're doing - passion. 

Also, architecture and the path to licensure does not stop when you graduate from the 5 Year program. There is a bunch of other stuff required before you can get licensed and legally call yourself Architect. 

Check out my post on this subject here.

However, the education is great and will allow you to think and see things differently. Your problem solving skills and understanding of systems (program,circulation, etc.) will be honed through experimenting.

Be sure that you want to do it, the job outlook isn't that great but many of my classmates have been able to find jobs here in NYC. 

As many have said, you can do many things will an architectural education, you don't have to stick to architecture. It is also very computer intensive, and you will be forced to teach yourself many new programs to keep up, especially because of the advent of the 3D Printer.

I suggest taking a summer intro course in Architecture with a studio portion. The best way to decide is to experience it. However, the intro will be just that, an introduction. The actually school work will be much more rigorous; atleast in my experience.

Keep us informed on what you decide!

Best of Luck,

Romel

Apr 27, 14 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
TED

@rjee_  

Based upon your question, the answer is no.  It is clear you don't understand what its about and your family/friends are confusing google-search for architect which and mean computer science or building.

Spend the next year and contact folks in practice to answer this question.

Apr 27, 14 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

Another argument for a minimum post requirement before being able to start a new thread (that's three for rjee_) and for stickies (Should I be an architect? If you have to ask the answer is NO.)

Apr 27, 14 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: